• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Utah DeMoisy Express Lift at Snowbasin

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I know their neighbor to the South is putting in a new lift . No ski talking about it so far.

Here is a photo I lifted from the Snowbasin website. The new DeMoisey lift line appears to run between Coyote & Main Street…
View attachment 207746
Since this was brought up in the general Utah thread, lets follow the progress.

I usually get press releases for stuff like this but sometimes, they don't do a press release.

This is from Snowbasin's website:

New Six-Person Lift for 2023-24: DeMoisy Express​

We are thrilled to announce the construction of a highly anticipated six-person lift that will enhance the skier experience and provide additional lift capacity in the Strawberry area of the resort. The installation of the new DeMoisy Express is underway and will be complete in advance of the 2023-24 winter season. To view an update on construction progress, please click here >>

For someone like me who skis Snowbasin 3-4 days a year, this seems like a good addition to the Strawberry side of the mountain. How do those of you who are Snowbasin regulars perceive it?

tromano

Goin' the way they're pointed...
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Since this was brought up in the general Utah thread, lets follow the progress.

I usually get press releases for stuff like this but sometimes, they don't do a press release.

This is from Snowbasin's website:

New Six-Person Lift for 2023-24: DeMoisy Express​

We are thrilled to announce the construction of a highly anticipated six-person lift that will enhance the skier experience and provide additional lift capacity in the Strawberry area of the resort. The installation of the new DeMoisy Express is underway and will be complete in advance of the 2023-24 winter season. To view an update on construction progress, please click here >>

For someone like me who skis Snowbasin 3-4 days a year, this seems like a good addition to the Strawberry side of the mountain. How do those of you who are Snowbasin regulars perceive it?
I have avoided Strawberry most weekend days the past 3 years due to excessive lift lines. This should help and many skiers will be better served to ride the new lift which provides more direct sevice to snowbasins intermediate runs. Hopefully this reduces friction for accessing the advanced and gated terrain off demoisey peak and sisters which are only accessible via Strawberry. It may also reduce on slope crowding in the middle bowl area with more skiers running laps on DeMoisy.

ETA: The impact of the new runs being added should not be underestimated either. Should help accessing some more interned gladded terrain.

Last edited:

4ster

Just because you can doesn’t mean you should!
Instructor
How do those of you who are Snowbasin regulars perceive it?
When this lift was first planned more than a decade ago I was skeptical for a minute but soon warmed up to the idea. The original plan was to put the lift in concurrent with added beginner/intermediate terrain, parking and a new lift into Strawberry from the Trappers Ridge Road. I was 100% in agreement with that plan and still think it is the best next step for Snowbasin. Since the Club Med Hotel fell through perhaps they will return to this more sensible (to me) plan.
As it stands the new lift will allow some of the strawberry terrain to remain open on wind and fog days, which will be a good thing. I think the biggest negative is that it will put more traffic on a great slope like the Diamond.
IMG_5286.jpeg
Then again it may get people to the top easier and perhaps they will actually ski the fall line instead of traversing. As @tromano says the new lift may also take some impact off the upper, gated expert terrain.

On another Snowbasin related topic, I recently received a poll seeking input on possible parking reservations. I am adamantly opposed to this idea here, there or anywhere! It should be the resorts responsibility to provide ample parking for the amount of passes and tickets that they sell, anything else is unethical!!
If anything Ikons should be required to make reservations to ski/ride.

Last edited:

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
On another Snowbasin related topic, I recently received a poll seeking input on possible parking reservations. I am adamantly opposed to this idea here, there or anywhere! It should be the resorts responsibility to provide ample parking for the amount of passes and tickets that they sell, anything else is unethical!!

On the poll topic, I am still considering how to respond, but I think your input will be helpful in that. And I fully agree that requiring ikon reservations is the only path forward that makes sense for snowbasin.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
https://snowbasin.az1.qualtrics.com...pJobID=1320064840&spReportId=MTMyMDA2NDg0MAS2
I have no problem making reservations as an IKON pass holder, and would completely understand if reservations were not required for Snowbasin passholders.

4ster

Instructor
On the poll topic, I am still considering how to respond, but I think your input will be helpful in that. And I fully agree that requiring ikon reservations is the only path forward that makes sense for snowbasin.
I pretty much answered neutral to most of the questions & added That Ikon pass holders should be required to make reservations to ski or ride, not to park. Honestly, the only time I’ve skied basin on a Saturday in the past few years was when I was volunteering for something. I’ve also been avoiding Strawberry except during slow times or when I really need to ski Middle Bowl Cirque. I’m still suffering PTSD from a day getting stuck there last season :geek: ogwink,
I think parking reservations paid or not is the first step toward something worse!

I have no problem making reservations as an IKON pass holder, and would completely understand if reservations were not required for Snowbasin passholders.
How would you feel about paid “parking” reservations when it would be free for regular pass holders? :huh:

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I pretty much answered neutral to most of the questions & added That Ikon pass holders should be required to make reservations to ski or ride, not to park. Honestly, the only time I’ve skied basin on a Saturday in the past few years was when I was volunteering for something. I’ve also been avoiding Strawberry except during slow times or when I really need to ski Middle Bowl Cirque. I’m still suffering PTSD from a day getting stuck there last season :geek: ogwink,
I think parking reservations paid or not is the first step toward something worse!

How would you feel about paid “parking” reservations when it would be free for regular pass holders? :huh:
I didn't need a udot report to tell me which weekends the cottonwoods were closed last season. I think there is an obvious spill over effect.

Deeply concerned about paid parking; once that revenue stream starts up, it can be impossible for the business to kick the habit.

4ster

Instructor
Deeply concerned about paid parking; once that revenue stream starts up, it can be impossible for the business to kick the habit.
Absolutely!
“The majority of ski resorts in northern Utah have implemented a parking reservation system to help address this.”
Part of me thinks “Everyone else is doing it, maybe we should too (don’t wanna pass up possible revenue).” The issue is everyone arriving early & then early became earlier & earlier. The reality is that without Ikon most people, most days could arrive at 11am & find a parking spot. I know that midweek there are a bunch of 2 hour groomer cruisers that leave front row parking before 11 everyday.

I didn't need a udot report to tell me which weekends the cottonwoods were closed last season. I think there is an obvious spill over effect.
Yup, & by requiring Ikon reservations to ski/ride it would help spread the mass arrival. Of course if Snowbasin pass holders had a real say they would do away with Ikon all together.

Kinda hard to change policies “after” passes have already been sold :huh: but it’s been done before.

EDIT: I just realized I’ve created a major thread drift…
DeMoisey Express good, Parking reservations bad :P

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Some of that depends on where exactly I'm parking.
I'm not a fan of paid parking in general, but I'm more inclined to do the carpool 3 or more or paid parking for individuals who aren't carpooling.

All in all, I'm a fan of fixing issues but not so sure this will fix much of anything.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Yup, & by requiring Ikon reservations to ski/ride it would help spread the mass arrival. Of course if Snowbasin pass holders had a real say they would do away with Ikon all together.
FWIW, I found reservations to be easy to manage at the resorts where we needed to make them with our IKON passes.
These included Brighton, and Deer Valley. Frankly the days when the canyon was a mess we went to Deer Valley because it was closer and easier to manage than making our way to Snowbasin. Even on those days we didn't find Deer Valley's lines to be particularly long or unmanagable, but we don't tend to stay on the terrain where intermediate skiers tend to be because we're seeking out steeper and more tree skiing areas.

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Snowbasin website says this of the new lift:

" The addition of DeMoisy Express is expected to increase the lift system’s notoriety..."

Don't know if the notoriety is good or bad, but they have put in several new lift since I was last there so might try to make it down next winter.

Jwrags

Aka pwdrhnd
Skier
When this lift was first planned more than a decade ago I was skeptical for a minute but soon warmed up to the idea. The original plan was to put the lift in concurrent with added beginner/intermediate terrain, parking and a new lift into Strawberry from the Trappers Ridge Road. I was 100% in agreement with that plan and still think it is the best next step for Snowbasin. Since the Club Med Hotel fell through perhaps they will return to this more sensible (to me) plan.
As it stands the new lift will allow some of the strawberry terrain to remain open on wind and fog days, which will be a good thing. I think the biggest negative is that it will put more traffic on a great slope like the Diamond.
View attachment 209106
Then again it may get people to the top easier and perhaps they will actually ski the fall line instead of traversing. As @tromano says the new lift may also take some impact off the upper, gated expert terrain.

Not sure why I should care about your opinion:huh: You have only skied there for probably 30+ years:ogbiggrin: Oh, and you guided us on a tour of the mountain on a fabulous powder day!
I would love to get back there and have no problem making an Ikon reservation. Perhaps if Ikon pass holders needed a reservation it would diminish the redirection from the canyons when they are closed.
I think there should be ample parking or a parking plan for all who are going there.

4ster

Instructor
Not sure why I should care about your opinion:huh: You have only skied there for probably 30+ years:ogbiggrin: Oh, and you guided us on a tour of the mountain on a fabulous powder day!
I would love to get back there and have no problem making an Ikon reservation. Perhaps if Ikon pass holders needed a reservation it would diminish the redirection from the canyons when they are closed.
I think there should be ample parking or a parking plan for all who are going there.
Only about 23yrs but I do remember skiing with you & your buddies! Back then it was worth showing the place off & skiing with good folks like you was the favorite part of my many faceted job there ogsmile. Nowadays I’m a little reluctant as it’s being loved to death & the snow quality even during a big season like last suffers from it.

Yes, as it was pointed out by @tromano the mass Ikon invasion when the CC’s were closed pretty much ruined what should’ve been some of the best fresh snow days of the year. It ends up putting extra pressure on the staff & especially patrol as they try to save ourselves from ourselves :doh:!

Johnfmh

Johnfmh
Skier
I am very pleased with the resort’s decision to move forward with DeMoisy. For me it will do the following:
  1. Provides access to much of Strawberry’s terrain when the gondola is on wind hold. During my last two, weeklong trips, the gondola was closed more than open. Pitty because this is my favorite side of the mountain.
  2. Give intermediates and beginners a good lift option during low visibility days at the top of Strawberry.
  3. Spread people out in the resort—make the Middle Bowl and Needles areas less crowded.
In The future, it would be nice if the “lodge” or whatever it is at the Strawberry base was expanded. All the day lodges have been getting more and more crowded, even on weekdays. You have to eat early or late or not at all (power bar on the lift).

With regard to the parking issue, I no longer drive to resort—I take the UTA bus from Ogden. It’s slower than driving but more relaxing for me and gets me closer to Earl’s lodge than driving and parking. I wish the the parking survey had questions for UTA riders. Personally, I‘d like to see the bus stop moved closer to Earl’s (like in the past). Here to be exact:

More busses, especially midweek, would also be good, although I understand labor issues for UTA. It’s a tough nut to crack. Finally, the lodge should sell bus passes to people buying multiple day passes (I think it provides a free pass for passholders).

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
even on weekdays. You have to eat early or late or not at all (power bar on the lift).
FWIW, in the one weekday I had at Snowbasin last year (at the Gathering) John Paul Lodge was not crowded at lunch time; Whereas main lodge was crowded even a couple of hours later.

I don't know if that's always true at all, but seems like it may be given the terrain and lack of crowds on John Paul lift compared to others.

tromano

Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
FWIW, in the one weekday I had at Snowbasin last year (at the Gathering) John Paul Lodge was not crowded at lunch time; Whereas main lodge was crowded even a couple of hours later.

I don't know if that's always true at all, but seems like it may be given the terrain and lack of crowds on John Paul lift compared to others.

Earls seems to be most crowded most of the time. But some times jp is a mad house and often doesn't have staffing to deal.

As indicated above by @4ster the lodges services available at snowbasin have not expanded much with the growth of the resort in skier visits over the years.

Things were better during covid when they had numerous food huts all over the mountain each with outdoor picnic tables.

4ster

Instructor

Well, it was a weekday & not everyone knows about the basement seating there. I think it’s also more difficult for large groups of different levels to meet up there, especially on a storm day when visibility may be an issue.
“First rule of John Paul is, we don’t talk about John Paul”

In The future, it would be nice if the “lodge” or whatever it is at the Strawberry base was expanded.
Originally during the initial late 90’s expansion into Strawberry there was a lodge planned at the summit. They even had the foundation poured but scrapped the idea for JP.
The (2009?) plan for parking & a lift into Strawberry from Trappers Road would’ve likely had a lodge included.

4ster

Instructor
As indicated above by @4ster the lodges services available at snowbasin have not expanded much with the growth of the resort in skier visits over the years.
Needles lodge remodeling a few years ago was about an expanded bar which I imagine reduced some of the eatery seating. It’s probably just me be but serving alcohol at the top of a ski hill seems counter productive
:crash:

charlier

Fresh Tracks
Skier
Pre-Ikon days, I used to visit Snowbasin. On the lift, a patroller recognized me and offered to show me around the mountain. A few areas were still closed off (control work was completed), but gave me the OK to explore. I had a great time for the a day on the John Paul side and another day on the Strawberry gondola. And I borrowed Kastle skis from the rep after the industry demos. I doubt that I could repeat my runs and numeros side-stepping

IMG_0228 Copy.jpeg

IMG_0222_Original.jpeg

IMG_0209_Original.jpeg

Sponsor