• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Deb Armstrong/Inside leg activity for parallel turns

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier
Thanks. Sorry to derail this thread. I was trying to relate it to the inside foot initially. I guess I hadn't really given much thought to what my feet actually do, or better, how my foot and joints actually work inside the boot as much as I should have until recently playing around with new feelings. I like to ski with high edge angles on groomers - my personal bias. I think while trying to ski a flatter ski at times I found that overly everting my new outside foot too early added to my bias. I recently started feeling like I was inverting my new outside foot at the top of the turn which felt like pressure towards the little toe, oddly enough. The outcome has been successful and feels like it allows easier rotation on a flatter ski. In a recent race clinic and while carving on bigger angles I don't have that sensation - its more about everting the heck out of the new outside foot while inverting the new inside very early. Perhaps the new feeling is the same, but just feels the opposite on a flatter ski. (and glad to know DJ61 was actually being sarcastic. I really thought he was drinking to much coolaid for a minute) haha

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So Chris Puckett is his dad, is Casey Puckett the uncle? And his mom raced?

Full outside ski. Hard to tell exactly on the square thing.

You see a lot of lower level “racers” freeskiing by thrusting the inside hand and ski forward and practically standing sideways. Then rinse and repeat. They get good at it, but it’s poor technique.
I was wrong. By square she just means to always face the hips where the skis are pointing. Says so in the latest video.

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier

look at :01 and tell me that his outside foot is pronated and his inside foot is supinated. Sure it changes to eversion and inversion respectively a tenth of second after that. I wonder why Razie deleted his "five metric tons of bullshit" post? The leg shafts aren't parallel at that moment. Look at the boot cuffs and skis as well.
BTW - I picked Odermatt skiing SL intentionally.

James

Out There
Instructor

look at :01 and tell me that his outside foot is pronated and his inside foot is supinated. Sure it changes to eversion and inversion respectively a tenth of second after that. I wonder why Razie deleted his "five metric tons of bullshit" post? The leg shafts aren't parallel at that moment. Look at the boot cuffs and skis as well.
BTW - I picked Odermatt skiing SL intentionally.
No idea what you’re saying.
.01:
IMG_1667.jpeg

outside everted inside inverted.
Earth still a spheroid.

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier
Too late James. Back it up five hundredths and post that pic. And, you don't have to be a hero and delete your post later like Razie did.

Last edited:

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier
You are looking at the part when I said he everts and inverts, but that's really not the point you don't understand. Granted, if I could figure out how to post a screen shot from the vid, that would help. Its in the middle of initiation phase, not at shaping like the pic you posted.
Lastly (and I mean that literally as this will be my last post here), a lot changes in .05 of a second. The reason I brought this up in the first place is because if you don't allow your foot to do that your inside knee wont look and work like Odermatt's in the pic you posted at shaping. It isnt a look or something you do to your inside knee, it happens because of the way our foot works with and without a load bearing on it.
Happy skiing.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
There’s no .01 sec delineation on youtube. I wrote .01 but meant 01 secs.
Transition-
IMG_1670.jpeg

A bit later
IMG_1671.jpeg

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier
The second pic is the point in the turn. That's not a very parallel relationship- the skis nor the leg shafts. In a previous post I mentioned that it felt like pressure was building towards my little toe on the outside ski at the top of the turn, which you can see in the photo. His new outside boot cuff is leaning out, not in. What I'm trying to explain is that t isn't just tipping and Un tipping the feet but also a torque on the foot and ski with leg rotation (femur in the hip socket). Neither tipping without rotation or rotation without tipping don't really work well in these turns (both can have their place in skiing, however). Do both and the inside knee finds its way on its own.

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier
It may be that what you wanted readers to realize is that the tipping of the feet, leading to the tipping of the shins, doesn't involve sideways bending of the knees. The shin angles are a product of rotation in the subtalar joints, a bit of rotation in the lower leg between the ankles and the knees, and movement of the femurs in the hip sockets.

I'd never intentionally set out to bend my knees sideways. If there's a tiny range of movement there, and it happens naturally, OK. If I feel discomfort, I want to do something about it right quick, and I'd encourage others to pay attention to what their bodies are saying, and do likewise.

It goes hand in hand with foot tipping.
Kinda like this quote from Chris. But what happens to the outside foot when it is rotated? Evert or invert?

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Kinda like this quote from Chris. But what happens to the outside foot when it is rotated? Evert or invert?
Depends which way it's rotated... inward, it will invert, outward, it will evert.

Last edited:

James

Out There
Instructor
I see what you’re saying.
Open chain foot rotated inward inverts. But closed chain (weighted) and with muscles and knee position it’s more complicated and could be everted.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on the boot photo.
I don’t see any stage of inverted on his outside ski. It all looks like edge angle, but the part you want to see is covered by snow spray. You’ve got a Zapruder film there.

I’ll extrapolate and say he’s just building edge angle the whole time from transition. Of course there could be a guy with a black umbrella and a grassy knoll out of frame.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
Have we set a new altitude record for jumping the shark yet?

Mike B

Putting on skis
Skier
I see what you’re saying.
Open chain foot rotated inward inverts. But closed chain (weighted) and with muscles and knee position it’s more complicated and could be everted.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on the boot photo.
I don’t see any stage of inverted on his outside ski. It all looks like edge angle, but the part you want to see is covered by snow spray. You’ve got a Zapruder film there.

I’ll extrapolate and say he’s just building edge angle the whole time from transition. Of course there could be a guy with a black umbrella and a grassy knoll out of frame.
I agree with you about the open and closed chain aspects. I don't agree with you that he is just building edge angle the whole time, however. As far as the stuff you said about films and grassy knolls - I feel thats just worthless internet talk to make you feel good. Hommie don't play that.

What I'm saying is similar to what Skidad says in his base skiing videos about deviation. I can see that in both the pics of Odermatt. The snow spray and angle of the skis show it. What I haven't heard from Skidad is how that happens with mechanics, although I may have missed it. I think it happens through a rotary move which changes your foot position verses a highly tipped foot position. People put so much emphasis on tipping and edge angles but there is a time and place for it.
Adiois

Gina D

Getting off the lift
Skier
There's some connection to one of Tom Gellie's points. The upper leg rotates to create edging, the lower leg rotates to steer. Steering with the lower leg reduces edge angle.

So the opposite, counter-steering with the lower leg increases edge angle.

Sponsor

Staff online