• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

CSIA Interski Technical Comparison

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
To be more specific, try it yourself. I happen to be at a picnic bench. Place one foot on the bench, one on the ground. I angulated and tipped on edge. To get the knees pointed in the same direction, it hurts my knee, the bent knee

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I can do it without any pain. In the house.
People are different. Generalizing to everyone from self is iffy.
I do not get angles like that on snow.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Timing is everything. On the way to the apex you want your skis separating and after the apex they come together. Having your boot dig a second trench alongside the ski's trench is merely an annoyance when the snow isn't hard; when the snow is hard or when the surface is ice, then it (having your boot try to dig an extra trench) becomes much more annoying as you boot out. Trust me; I know.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
If this guy didn't lift that inside knee a bit, he'd boot-out.
View attachment 106455
The skier below doesn't have the hip as low as the one above, but the skier may still feel that boot-out is within the realm of possibility for most turns of this type. These skiers may have experienced boot-out at some point and so habitually take this precaution.

I'm not convinced that the lack of matching shins and accompanying mismatched edge angles otherwise contributes positively to the turn. If someone knows how that might be functioning in a good way at the level of the ski-snow, please explain.
View attachment 106456

Don't think it's anything to do with boot out. Don't think it's a mistake given the caliber of the skiers' exhibiting it. :huh:

Red and green - Kyle Armstrong, CSIA Interski 2015

Guy in yellow and black was Paul Lorenz - see just below.

Some other skiers:

Richard Berger, Reilly MacGlashan, Paul Lorenz

JB..
He's the top image on his youtube channel.

JBYoutube.PNG

And JB in action

JFB

CSIA's Warren Jobbit, coach of the Canadian Interski Team.

Ligety and Hirscher

Razie

HH.

I'm hard pressed to find good skiing vid where people aren't doing it. JB's short turns? But there I suspect it's due to his rather wide short turn stance so it's not as apparent.

This is new info for me. Have to see how it works on snow..... Then we get headlines like this one today...
Fears of a second coronavirus lockdown in NSW :eek::facepalm:

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
:) :) No, that's not one on the long list of sins.

What I currently do (but shouldn't) is relax separation and angulation too soon, too slow to flex old outside leg so it becomes a block and then begin angulating too early trying to 'balance on the new outside leg' when I should still be allowing myself to incline further.

What I'm going to be working on:
1. Delay angulating and then do it more progressively through the later stage of the turn
2. More counter-torque with the upper inside leg
3. Hold those into transition
4. Flex the outside leg sooner
5. Have toppling target
6. Back to step 1.

Been stuck at a certain performance level for about a season an 1/2 so we'll see how this works out. :crossfingers:
I know who has been watching Tom Gellie's stuff...

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
Don't think it's anything to do with boot out. Don't think it's a mistake given the caliber of the skiers' exhibiting it.
We are talking about the inside knee moving over towards the outside of the turn, right?
...causing a slight A-frame in the lower legs
...which causes a slight difference in ski edge angle between inside and outside skis
...right? Just checking.

I definitely don't think those skiers are making a mistake when they do this. I didn't suggest that.
And not all those skiers you selected are doing it.
Why did you select some skiers who are not getting this A-frame?

Why don't you think they get an A-frame because they are avoiding boot out?

Last edited:

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
Don’t think so either. 2:50,

Sorry Karlo, I can't view that clip - say no longer available. I did find another clip simialr name, may be the same topic? Really steep terrain, lotta jump turns, mountaineering on skis... But not a good view of legs.

We are talking about the inside knee moving over towards the outside of the turn, right?
...causing a slight A-frame in the lower legs
...which causes a slight difference in ski edge angle between inside and outside skis
...right? Just checking.

I definitely don't think those skiers are making a mistake when they do this. I didn't suggest that.
And not all those skiers you selected are doing it.
Why did you select some skiers who are not getting this A-frame?

Why don't you think they get an A-frame because they are avoiding boot out?

It's not the knee so much as the thigh. What I'm seeing is the thighs working in tension against each other.
Thighes.jpg

It's not squeezing them together. It's countering the inside thigh and pelvis (and basically the rest of the body) against the outside leg. Stand up and imagine doing a javelin turn. The intent is to turn the outside ski under the raised inside ski, not rotate the top ski over the other. On snow that means we have to be active in allowing the outside leg to rotate under the rest of the body. Pretend to be doing that on the snow, outside leg a little flexed and tension through the core keeping the rest of the body 'stable and separated'. Thighs probably won't be touching but they will be in that tension against each other.

All those clips show skiers doing that - although I picked and cued them for a head on view with wider turns.

Boot out? The skiers are showing various performance levels and some of them safely away from any boot out issues.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Stand up and imagine doing a javelin turn. The intent is to turn the outside ski under the raised inside ski, not rotate the top ski over the other
I believe the intent of a javelin turn is to work on pelvic stability. What happens with the femur and knees are just natural outcomes.

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
I believe the intent of a javelin turn is to work on pelvic stability. What happens with the femur and knees are just natural outcomes.

Think pelvic alignment (and inside knee can be used to help), then you're cooking with gas. ogsmile

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier

Stable with respect to what? Also if the thigh and knee are not involved then we miss out on building that useful tension in those large muscle groups.

Think pelvic alignment (and inside knee can be used to help), then you're cooking with gas. ogsmile

Aligned to what? While I agree it's not very specific in terms of how to perform the drill.

I've spent at least the past two seasons thinking the key to javelin drills was staying balanced (largely in fore aft) which I achieved mostly by some extra flexing at the waist to keep the shoulders from over-rotating and angulating with the spine. In terms of the skis it gets the job done - if the shoulders and inside ski are separated probably the hips will be as well - but it's awkward and it doesn't translate well into normal skiing.

Apparently a better way is considering countering at the pelvis with the pivot point being the outside hip joint. And for good measure work the upper outer leg and maybe even the lower leg if that assists. Now that makes sense in terms of stability and alignment. Stable and aligned relative to the outside leg which is our main base of support. May not be news to plenty of others but it sure is for me. :doh:

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Honestly and respectfully, I just don't have the time to answer.

geepers

Skiing the powder
Skier
alignment to fall line

In all the ski tip javelin drills I could find on youtube the only one mentioning keeping hips square to the fall line was Patrick Deneen, ex-WC Moguls champion. Probably useful if heading straight down the bumps in that style. Not so sure otherwise.

That vid was filmed in Australia - see the ghost gums at 0:15. We don't have an issue with tree wells however the tree trunks and major branches grow at random angles. They are very solid compared to human heads.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
In all the ski tip javelin drills I could find on youtube the only one mentioning keeping hips square to the fall line was Patrick Deneen, ex-WC Moguls champion. Probably useful if heading straight down the bumps in that style. Not so sure otherwise.

That vid was filmed in Australia - see the ghost gums at 0:15. We don't have an issue with tree wells however the tree trunks and major branches grow at random angles. They are very solid compared to human heads.
Try them with pelvis aligned to fall line and not aligned to fall line.

markojp

Industry Insider
Instructor
Align the pelvis to the direction of centripetal force.

Chris V.

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I feel like I'm learning a lot from this thread. Sure wish I could try some of it on snow to be sure.

karlo

Out on the slopes
Inactive
Align the pelvis to the direction of centripetal force.
Huh? I think that’s correct. at the top of the turn, but way off at and after fall line. By “align “, I assume we are talking about “face”, “face the pelvis”

Sponsor