• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What did you decide to do with these skis?

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
What did you decide to do with these skis?
If you're asking me, they're back at the same shop in the hands of the more-patient tech (the guy I coach with isn't back yet, I'm pretty sure he's still in roofing-contractor mode), with the specific request to please make them flat, if possible. I dropped off those, my other all-mountain skis that need base repair next to the edge thanks to a Chilean shark, and my wife's all-mountain skis, which need multiple base repairs due to Chilean sharks (she instinctively tried to slow down instead of straight-running through the thin section) and don't have a lot of material left to begin with. If they can get all three pairs happy and it doesn't cost me more than $200, I'll be happy.

Atomicman

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Doug Briggs Got it, thanks. My misunderstanding.

I would, however, have a hard time holding a 60 mm straightedge to perfectly match the bevel on about 1mm of edge (is the entire steel even beveled?) projected out. I could get a pretty good idea if it's 1 or 7 but I'm not sure my accuracy of measurement would discern 1 vs .5 degrees - especially with uneven wear.

At least it's a good way to get an idea - if my kid with good eyes and a steady hand helps.

Eric
That is because you wouldn't actually look at it that way..Alternatively, you put the true bar flat to the base and eyeball the space over the steel edge. You can get very good at eyeballing what a .5 or 1 should look like this way.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
That is because you wouldn't actually look at it that way..Alternatively, you put the true bar flat to the base and eyeball the space over the steel edge. You can get very good at eyeballing what a .5 or 1 should look like this way.

Here's another option that's quick and works fairly well:

20190502_021852937_iOS.jpg

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
NO argument there....but ya get what ya pay for! ogwink

Yep, but I have seen many threads with all kinds of crazy ideas and ways of measuring/estimating the base bevel angle. I figured I'd put my solution up on this thread. All you need is a true bar, Irwin clamp, and a digital angle gauge. The key is the Irwin clamp since the jaws have pads that freely rotate and will match the angle of the base edge.

tube77

Getting on the lift
Skier
Got them from Ebay and never thought to check the base bevel......didn't like them that much ,,..only skied them twoice this year.....just thought it was my skiing that needed adjustment as I am always messing with my cants......

Same experience here..
Thought it was on me but it turned out to be the ski with unskiable base bevel..

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m reading this thread and thinking there seems a lot of arguments about reading base bevel accuracy. Yet no one talks about calibrating and checking their tools of measurement.

When I set up up my tools I do calibrate off of a granite surface plate with a flatness of 0.0002” or 0.00508mm over the entire surface of 24” x 36”. Take my word this is flat (to get any flatter a true environmental controlled room and serious $$$$ in a surface plate with on site setup is required, I’ve seen such a set up and seen the impact of train a block away changing measurements by less than 0.00001”) My most accurate dial gauges reads 0.0005” or 0.0127mm but can be guesstimated down to about half that with reasonable confidence

So if you are going to argue accuracy check your tools first.

Personally, I’d use a simple straight edge (good true bar is more stable) and a feeler gauge. Better accuracy and simpler to use.

Sponsor

Staff online