• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Cover Me: Best cover songs, some better than the original?

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
^^^Fantastic

Below are 25 covers of the same song. Purity and clarity of human voices:

This end credit version by Kacey Musgraves is, IMHO, and in its own John Denver way better than the movie version:

Last edited:

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Not my favorite Doors song, but kind of spooky/relaxing at bed time:

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Cover of a Celine Dion and Josh Groban duet:

In 1969, while in high school, I saw Jimmy Page use a bow to play parts of this song at Winterland (they have surely withstood the test of time):

Last edited:

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
AlpedHuez: Dang! Now that's some good feeling' soul satisfying music right there: Darius Rucker - Wagon Wheel (Official Video). I remember hearing it played on the Michael Berry Show out of Houston a few times, but I never new much about the song or the singer.

Norah Jones covering Wilco's "Jesus, Etc." has soul but is sadder to me. But I have never heard it before. Thank you for posting both.

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
AlpedHuez: Dang! Now that's some good feeling' soul satisfying music right there: Darius Rucker - Wagon Wheel (Official Video). I remember hearing it played on the Michael Berry Show out of Houston a few times, but I never new much about the song or the singer.

Norah Jones covering Wilco's "Jesus, Etc." has soul but is sadder to me. But I have never heard it before. Thank you for posting both.
Wagon Wheel is based off an unfinished song chorus by Bob Dylan from the 1973 "Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid" soundtrack sessions

which Old Crow Medicine Show's Ketch Secor and Critter Fuqua turned into a fully formed song (crediting Dylan as co-writer).

Last edited:

AlpedHuez

Chasing that Odermatt form
Skier
I haven't been able to shake this one since I first heard it (having a faint clue the lyrics were Dylan-esque -- and in fact it is Bob's original)

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
Alped: Thank you for posting Dylan. He has provided the theme song for my life recently:

Everything is Broken

"Seem like every time you stop and turn around
Something else just hit the ground
Broken cutters, broken saws
Broken buckles, broken laws
Broken bodies, broken bones
Broken voices on broken phones
Take a deep breath, feel like you're choking
Everything is broken"

And

Gotta Serve Somebody

"It may be the Devil or it may be the Lord
But your gonna have to serve somebody."

O.K., I guess I am going to have set some time aside to watch some more Old Crow Medicine Show videos...

Holy crap I have never heard Dark Eyes before. Thank you for sharing that.

I will see your Dylan and raise it with Santana:

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online