• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comfortable snow boots…

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
That probably meant the fit of your your regular boots is very questionable.
Perhaps, but this was almost 5 years ago on one of the first demo days I ever did (probably the second one I did actually), so I'm doubtful that I knew what to look or feel for. (I'm still not sure I do - I've only owned the one pair of boots. But I have spent a fair amount of time with reputable fitters.)

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Perhaps, but this was almost 5 years ago on one of the first demo days I ever did (probably the second one I did actually), so I'm doubtful that I knew what to look or feel for. (I'm still not sure I do - I've only owned the one pair of boots. But I have spent a fair amount of time with reputable fitters.)
Never explain. Especially to KG.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Yeah, yeah, yeah. There will always be an excuse.

P.S. Listen to Uncle Tony. He is an old hand at this.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah, yeah, yeah. There will always be an excuse.
Says the guy who talks about perfect boot fit, then skis with his boots unbuckled. :P

Anyway, we're far off topic from the OPs question... my apologies.

Personally, I've tended to be very mainstream, and have had various pairs of Timberlands over the years. Comfortable enough for me, though probably not anything like some of the posts earlier. I do tend to fly wearing them, and they're my "regular" shoes for most of the trip.

après is done in regular boots whenever possible - if there's a good place to boot up and store my boot bag, I'll wear regular shoes to and from the mountain. But there are some places - Aspen comes to mind - where there aren't always convenient boot-up spots, and I tend to wear my ski boots for après.

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Says the guy who talks about perfect boot fit, then skis with his boots unbuckled. :P

Were you trying for a burn - or a compliment on actually finding the perfect fit? :huh:

have had various pairs of Timberlines over the years. Comfortable enough for me, though probably not anything like some of the posts earlier. I do tend to fly wearing them, and they're my "regular" shoes for most of the trip.

Talking of Timberline - and noting their recycled car tire ad - https://www.timberland.com/blog/archive/timberland-tires.html - we also note that Continental are in partnership? collab? with Adidas. https://www.continental-tires.com/car/about-us/sponsoring-and-partnerships/adidas

Anyone know if the Conti rubber ever made it to an Adidas snow boot?

TS
M

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier

Anyway, we're far off topic from the OPs question... my apologies.

Personally, I've tended to be very mainstream, and have had various pairs of Timberlines over the years. Comfortable enough for me, though probably not anything like some of the posts earlier. I do tend to fly wearing them, and they're my "regular" shoes for most of the trip.

après is done in regular boots whenever possible - if there's a good place to boot up and store my boot bag, I'll wear regular shoes to and from the mountain. But there are some places - Aspen comes to mind - where there aren't always convenient boot-up spots, and I tend to wear my ski boots for après.

It’s funny I had purchased the Phil Mid already and they arrive Sunday. But I’m glad the thread has continued. had not even realized timberlines stared backing comfortable boots as well (took a look at their site).

As long as the new sneaker boots as are comfortable as they look, I’m happy with the direction. but lot more choices out there these days then I realized.

Chip

Out on the slopes
Skier
@MikeW Philly, thanks for starting this thread. Just the other day I was telling my wife how jealous I am of her après ski boots. So after looking around for a few days and coming up with nothing that mimics her boots (but in men's) I was convinced that it's a conspiracy against men. Then you post this and I'm starting to find some boots that might work. In the end, I was looking at some different styles of Bogs that seemed to fit the bill. So last night I showed her a couple boots from Bogs and she was like "don't look as comfortable as mine". Then she tells me that I should try hers on (she has big feet). So I do.... and dammit they are as comfortable as they look. So she suggests that I look at Columbia (that's what hers are) as see if they have anything similar for men. Well they don't, but they do have some comfortable looking women's boots that might work for a guy... ;)

Eric@ict

Out on the slopes
Skier
@MikeW Philly, thanks for starting this thread. Just the other day I was telling my wife how jealous I am of her après ski boots. So after looking around for a few days and coming up with nothing that mimics her boots (but in men's) I was convinced that it's a conspiracy against men. Then you post this and I'm starting to find some boots that might work. In the end, I was looking at some different styles of Bogs that seemed to fit the bill. So last night I showed her a couple boots from Bogs and she was like "don't look as comfortable as mine". Then she tells me that I should try hers on (she has big feet). So I do.... and dammit they are as comfortable as they look. So she suggests that I look at Columbia (that's what hers are) as see if they have anything similar for men. Well they don't, but they do have some comfortable looking women's boots that might work for a guy... ;)
I had a boot (muck boots) very similar to bogs years ago. They look almost identical. Big issue I had was on a solid surface when it was cold they got very slick. Fine in water, but once you left the heated milk barn, you had to be careful.

devildog_ra

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Continuing this off-topic... I didn't notice a lot of difference between my regular boots and the Apex in the couple of runs I did (though it's hard to remember details as it was a few years ago). I was on a pair of skis I hadn't skied before as well though, so maybe it would have been a little different on my own skis. I'd like to try them again, out of curiosity, as I've been on a lot more skis (and gotten better at skiing) in the interim.
I have a demo fleet of Apex ski boots this year if you’d like to try them again, they have made some major improvements in the last couple of seasons

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I have a demo fleet of Apex ski boots this year if you’d like to try them again, they have made some major improvements in the last couple of seasons
Welcome to SkiTalk! Very kind of you to offer, but I'm not sure if I'll make it back through Reno this year. Any chance you could run a demo day somewhere close to DC? :P

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I had a boot (muck boots) very similar to bogs years ago. They look almost identical. Big issue I had was on a solid surface when it was cold they got very slick. Fine in water, but once you left the heated milk barn, you had to be careful.
Muck boots are nothing like Bogs. I’ve had both, for farm work. Bogs are warm in winter and managed temperatures when its warmer very well. Footbeds are more supportive and soles super grippy. Also, Bogs come in more fun styles. ;)

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Bogs are wonderful, just saying. Warm and comfortable with a good grippy sole. They also last a very long time.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Muck boots are nothing like Bogs. I’ve had both, for farm work. Bogs are warm in winter and managed temperatures when its warmer very well. Footbeds are more supportive and soles super grippy. Also, Bogs come in more fun styles. ;)
You must have had better Boggs. My experience was like @Eric@ict 's: My Boggs were as different from my Muck Boots as a Buick is different from an Oldsmobile. I.e. nearly indistinguishable.

Wendy

Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Were you trying for a burn - or a compliment on actually finding the perfect fit? :huh:

Talking of Timberline - and noting their recycled car tire ad - https://www.timberland.com/blog/archive/timberland-tires.html - we also note that Continental are in partnership? collab? with Adidas. https://www.continental-tires.com/car/about-us/sponsoring-and-partnerships/adidas

Anyone know if the Conti rubber ever made it to an Adidas snow boot?
That’s pretty interesting (recycled tires as soles and Continental helping Adidas make soles).
I didn’t know Adidas had snow boots. But…here ya go! (I’m surprised you didn’t find this).

AC277273-A24F-4701-8E27-2B7E7D71BD66.jpeg

silverback

Talking a lot about less and less
Skier
forgot my boots on a Jackson trip once and stopped into a shop and picked up these:

They are great and I walk my dogs for 5-10 miles per day in them in the winter.

More comfortable and warmer but not as supportive for hiking (and they aren't made anymore):

Sponsor

Staff online