• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Comfortable snow boots…

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
LOL, I have a pair of these (have had them for years) and I’ve never worn them for après.

Big mistake! You come to Italy make sure you bring them. Random people will approach you and ask you for routes, trails and whatnot and buy you drinks.
The mountain guides are well respected over here. :ogbiggrin:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Me neither (mine are the olden more golden ones).

They are different. The golden Nepals have much stiffer soles and are originally made with ice climbing in mind whereas the Trek version is much more user friendly if you just want to walk around in the mountain.

TS
M

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
View attachment 147184

You enter any après bar in Italy in these and you are instantly recognized as someone who knows what he is doing in the mountains and really means business. :ogbiggrin::ogbiggrin:

Obviously great true winter boots, but comfortable? Relative to the scenario - not so sure about that. Part of reason I want to change is my existing boots while comfortable are a bit heavy.

I ended up p ordering a set of Forsake sneaker boots - https://www.forsake.com/shop/produc...Method=xSell&selectionPosition=2&pr_rd_page=6. - we’ll see how they feel but they are obviously lighter than a full boot and some good reviews here and out there on the web.

May end up returning but I feel like they are the right mix of one boot to bring on trips west for airport and then on the slopes.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Obviously great true winter boots, but comfortable? Relative to the scenario - not so sure about that. Part of reason I want to change is my existing boots while comfortable are a bit heavy.

I ended up p ordering a set of Forsake sneaker boots - https://www.forsake.com/shop/produc...Method=xSell&selectionPosition=2&pr_rd_page=6. - we’ll see how they feel but they are obviously lighter than a full boot and some good reviews here and out there on the web.

May end up returning but I feel like they are the right mix of one boot to bring on trips west for airport and then on the slopes.
Looks good! Trouble with really winter-y boots is they’re a bit much for the airport. These look to be a good compromise. Stylish, too.

TS
M

MikeW Philly

Getting off the lift
Skier
Looks good! Trouble with really winter-y boots is they’re a bit much for the airport. These look to be a good compromise. Stylish, too.

That was the thinking. It’s the right mix of travel ski boots (not for shoveling snow obviously) and yet not to heavy / overly sturdy like the Evo boots posted or Sorel which obviously make some great winter boots also.

Needed a compromise and if they are as comfortable as they look I think we have a winner for airport + on mountain.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Big mistake! You come to Italy make sure you bring them. Random people will approach you and ask you for routes, trails and whatnot and buy you drinks.
The mountain guides are well respected over here. :ogbiggrin:
Um, my observation is that the only "random people" - let alone articulate women who can ski bumps - who approach me are either peddling Amway or else are right wing nut jobs who smell my profound anti-authoritarianism from across the room. I can assure you that I could be wearing the coolest footwear on the planet and nothing about this would change.

Last edited:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Um, my observation is that the only "random people" - let alone articulate women who can ski bumps - who approach me are either peddling Amway or else are right wing but jobs who smell my profound anti-authoritarianism from across the room.

:roflmao:

It is different over here man. But still, articulate women who can ski bumps are not that common I admit.
Will tipsy British girls who cant ski to save their lives do? Because those come in spades.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
They could come with the purchase of your boots even! Or maybe they should just make liners that go in and out easily, that you could wear around like shoes. :ogbiggrin:

They did. Apex.

1635894121831.png

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Um, my observation is that the only "random people" - let alone articulate women who can ski bumps - who approach me are either peddling Amway or else are right wing but jobs who smell my profound anti-authoritarianism from across the room. I can assure you that I could be wearing the coolest footwear on the planet and nothing about this would change.

Tony: sporting stylish footwear with street cred, and exuding a special kind of charm.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Me too. It wasn’t a good time.
Continuing this off-topic... I didn't notice a lot of difference between my regular boots and the Apex in the couple of runs I did (though it's hard to remember details as it was a few years ago). I was on a pair of skis I hadn't skied before as well though, so maybe it would have been a little different on my own skis. I'd like to try them again, out of curiosity, as I've been on a lot more skis (and gotten better at skiing) in the interim.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Continuing this off-topic... I didn't notice a lot of difference between my regular boots and the Apex in the couple of runs I did (though it's hard to remember details as it was a few years ago). I was on a pair of skis I hadn't skied before as well though, so maybe it would have been a little different on my own skis. I'd like to try them again, out of curiosity, as I've been on a lot more skis (and gotten better at skiing) in the interim.
The Apex boots I demoed were way too big. I took the rep’s advice and wore the size he recommended….OMG, my feet were moving inside so much it felt like I was skiing in clown shoes. Liner would’ve been nice for après, though, LOL.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The Apex boots I demoed were way too big. I took the rep’s advice and wore the size he recommended….OMG, my feet were moving inside so much it felt like I was skiing in clown shoes. Liner would’ve been nice for après, though, LOL.
Maybe he gave you their other model, the Nadir, by mistake, instead of the Apex.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Any suggestions on which has the best slip-resistant soles?

Ice Bugs. Fairly unobtrusive, but effective studded soles.

More "full on" are the studded Snowmageddons from Korkers with surprisingly easy interchangeable soles.

Mrs. K and I walk a lot, and found that studs are the bomb for winter use.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Interesting... my demo was nothing like that. The frame was actually too tight in spots for me, and dug in with a bit of pain in a couple of places. We made some minor adjustments I don't remember, and it was fine after that. I believe the rep said if there were hotspots, that there were some modifications that could be made to the frame in places, but it was more limited than traditional boot changes.

jmills115

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
BMXing through the 80s I’ve owned plenty of Vans and have had the Vans snow boot for a couple seasons and have been happy with it. It’s comfy and warm and I’m looking to add a replacement pair even though the pair I have aren’t close to needing to be replaced

I just got these a few weeks back which are comfortable. They come in different levels of warmth and waterproofness. These don’t offer more than what my Merrill or Salomon hikers do but think they look better.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I didn't notice a lot of difference between my regular boots and the Apex in the couple of runs I did

That probably meant the fit of your your regular boots is very questionable.

Sponsor

Staff online