• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Classic PSIA Medium-Radius Turn

TS
T

Tim Hodgson

PSIA Level II Alpine
Instructor
We skied Squaw Valley as planned a couple of Sundays ago. But I wimped out on posting a video here. My on piste skiing sucked. Off piste the 63mm wasted carving skis I was on were 3 inches below the slush. I had trouble finding my for/aft balance (which is my primary problem as a straight legged bracing park and ride carving skier). Too far forward and I would bury the tips, afraid to face plant. Too far back, with the tail locked into a turn. Others with better balance and ability and wider and early rise tips skied much better than I. If I was stronger, hop turns would have helped I suppose.

I have learned allot from this thread. A couple of things:

1. Brush the entrance of the turn, carve the end.

2. Although this is not the turn I am chasing in this thread, some of the posters did make me think of my boots. I pop up in the bumps -- like a chicken. I don't flex in the bumps at all. My range of motion is limited from tall to extended. I think the Lange L10's are too stiff for me. I have a pair of green Lange Banshees made on the same last which are softer flexing. So, because I am cheap, i will put my liners and foot bed in them next season and experiment with a softer forward flexing boot. If I see some more appropriate performance I will chase down Bud, Phil or Tricia.

3. You people have been very kind. So, no one has hit me in the face with it, but the fact is that I am 64 years old with bad knees and I don't do any weight bearing exercise to build up my legs. I owe it to myself and to anyone who is willing to take the time to help me, to be in the best possible condition to be physically able to perform the tasks which are requested of me.

I would like to revive this thread next season (possibly with a video), if you don't mind. Thank you to all who tried to help.

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier
We skied Squaw Valley as planned a couple of Sundays ago. But I wimped out on posting a video here. My on piste skiing sucked. Off piste the 63mm wasted carving skis I was on were 3 inches below the slush. I had trouble finding my for/aft balance (which is my primary problem as a straight legged bracing park and ride carving skier). Too far forward and I would bury the tips, afraid to face plant. Too far back, with the tail locked into a turn. Others with better balance and ability and wider and early rise tips skied much better than I. If I was stronger, hop turns would have helped I suppose.

I have learned allot from this thread. A couple of things:

1. Brush the entrance of the turn, carve the end.

2. Although this is not the turn I am chasing in this thread, some of the posters did make me think of my boots. I pop up in the bumps -- like a chicken. I don't flex in the bumps at all. My range of motion is limited from tall to extended. I think the Lange L10's are too stiff for me. I have a pair of green Lange Banshees made on the same last which are softer flexing. So, because I am cheap, i will put my liners and foot bed in them next season and experiment with a softer forward flexing boot. If I see some more appropriate performance I will chase down Bud, Phil or Tricia.

3. You people have been very kind. So, no one has hit me in the face with it, but the fact is that I am 64 years old with bad knees and I don't do any weight bearing exercise to build up my legs. I owe it to myself and to anyone who is willing to take the time to help me, to be in the best possible condition to be physically able to perform the tasks which are requested of me.

I would like to revive this thread next season (possibly with a video), if you don't mind. Thank you to all who tried to help.
Strengh training and VO2Max training is super important after ~40-50. Use it or lose it.

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
Two thoughts, Tim:

1. I am 78. I improved my skiing last season. I ski better now than I did when I got certified in 1975.

2. Remain active through the summer: Avoid elevators, walk or bike instead of driving, use a push mower, etc., do some pushups and situps; next fall do some stepup exercises where you stand at the bottom of a stairway and step up one step with each foot and back down, working up 96 moves a minute for five minutes.

Jamt

Out on the slopes
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online

• Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Dwight
    Practitioner of skiing, solid and liquid