• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The ski shop at my local hill has last years version of this new ski for just over $600 for me. That's in a 183 length I believe. I'm going to pull the trigger on those on Sunday.
Last year's version is going to be a lot straighter than the 19m radius ski posted in that eBay link. 30 or 35m (or even 27m) is way too straight for a good Minnesota NASTAR ski. Be looking more in the 17-24m range..

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
The ski shop at my local hill has last years version of this new ski for just over $600 for me. That's in a 183 length I believe. I'm going to pull the trigger on those on Sunday.
Nice. What local ski hill actually sells skis these days?

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
Last year's version is going to be a lot straighter than the 19m radius ski posted in that eBay link. 30 or 35m (or even 27m) is way too straight for a good Minnesota NASTAR ski. Be looking more in the 17-24m range..

It seems highly unlikely that any hill around here is selling FIS skis

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
It seems highly unlikely that any hill around here is selling FIS skis

He said "last year's version of the 19m ski suggested.. 5 year old Redster GS,
"Atomic GS Redster Giant Slalom w/Neox12(Din4-12) Radius-19"
Last year's posted below.. better price too..
Brand New 2017 Atomic Redster GS Doubledeck Giant Slalom size-195cm R-35Meters

https://sidelineswap.com/gear/skiin...doubledeck-giant-slalom-size-195cm-r-35meters

I see the 2018 dropped to a 24M.. Still a little in the straight side for 300 foot vert..

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
No it's an 18M version for sure. This is at Troll FYI. It may not be that exact ski but a very similar Cheater GS ski.

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
No it's an 18M version for sure. This is at Troll FYI. It may not be that exact ski but a very similar Cheater GS ski.

Post up a picture when you get one. Not sure what the 18M ski would be in a 183 2017 cheater. My 2017 Redster XT 182 are 16.5

Out of curiosity - what color are they?

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
18M would be great.. Anything 17 to low 20s would work for you there. Make sure they aren't womens though.. even that long would be too soft for you..

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
18M would be great.. Anything 17 to low 20s would work for you there. Make sure they aren't womens though.. even that long would be too soft for you..

I'm pretty sure the guy who runs their ski store isn't trying to sell me woman's skis for race league... :crossfingers:

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Make sure they aren't womens though.. even that long would be too soft for you..

The only "womens" race ski from Atomic would be the 30 M FIS compliant-WAY too much ski for us mortals on a NASTAR course! The Atomic "cheaters" will have a metal cap on the tip, while the Masters and FIS skis will not. 2017 colors are white backround as shown it the pic that @OldJeep posted.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
The only "womens" race ski from Atomic would be the 30 M FIS compliant-WAY too much ski for us mortals on a NASTAR course! The Atomic "cheaters" will have a metal cap on the tip, while the Masters and FIS skis will not. 2017 colors are white backround as shown it the pic that @OldJeep posted.

Great info. Seems like a lot of locals I see on race night ski this ski or the previous versions...

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
He said "last year's version of the 19m ski suggested.. 5 year old Redster GS,
"Atomic GS Redster Giant Slalom w/Neox12(Din4-12) Radius-19"
Last year's posted below.. better price too..

I see the 2018 dropped to a 24M.. Still a little in the straight side for 300 foot vert..

Cr, A 35m FIS (now a dead FIS men's rule standard and why they're dirt cheap) bear NO resemblance to a ski that anyone can make much use of for Nastar. It didn't 'drop to a 24r', that's a different ski. Keeping all the race line skis from everyone straight in one's head is a pain, but just understand that FIS skis are a different critter than non-FIS offering even if the top sheets look the same. The women's 30m FIS GS skis are for bigger boys than you... Think more along the line that they're for USSA Masters men's races, and you'd be getting to the right page.

:beercheer:

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The women's 30m FIS GS skis are for bigger boys than you...
:beercheer:

Agreed. I'm not going back to anything over 24 except for retro day. I'm currently using a 21m 185 cm Lab GS race stock from way back (2001 maybe?) that @ScotsSkier sent me for NASTAR or wide open firm conditions. It's a pretty beefy ski but hooks up well when we want it to.. A bit of a challenge to get it unhooked if I'm not focusing on the task at hand.

Still, way more friendly than the 204 CM VO Slaloms I have retired for good! Flex pretty similar to my `195CM 812s which were my preferred one ski quiver for all of the late 80s and early 90s..

Last edited:

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
One thing I believed from my straight ski days and holds true today, FIS skis reward if you are willing to work them. As SL skis they are actually easier to ski than near race skis, more predictable and better response. As GS skis more aggressive and better repsonse, you have to be willing to stay on top of them and work them or they will be on top of you. The rewards for the effort are worth it.

SpauldingSmails

Uh oh, somebody's wrong on the internet again!
Skier
A couple weeks ago, I bought the 2014 Atomic Redster Doubledeck GS in 184 (19m, non-FIS) because of this review...
https://www.pugski.com/threads/2017-masters-and-beer-league-gs-skis.3271/
It was on ebay for 270$ (excellent condition) plus shipping. It isn't exactly the same ski as in the review, the 3.0, but it is still as the review says.

I am 5'11" 200#. I was a little worried because this is a longer and heavier ski than what I am used to (Volkl Four Star 178, 17m or Kastle LX82 180, 18m) but it handles easily - I was pleasantly surprised. I'm not highly skilled yet but I can carve and I ski aggressively sometimes. I've only had the ski out once to test it at Alta one morning - on groomers. It likes to run. It goes thirty in neutral and you won't feel it. It is a smooth ride. It is also easy to control. You don't need to keep the brakes on if you aren't alone on the piste. It makes long or short turns easily. I bought these as a progression towards the Head WC Rebel GS ski I bought because, "It was an awesome deal for 130$ even though I can't ski yet!"(188, 27.5m, old FIS regulation). I have only been on a total of six different pairs of skis in my first three seasons (15 days, 20 days, and 6 this year) and these are my favorites.

Sponsor

Staff online