• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've recently began running NASTAR and beer league races and absolutely love it.

I'm interested in buying a set of carving/racing skis for this purpose. Let me know if you have something that would work for me.

Location: Twin Cities, MN preferred but will pay shipping for the right skis.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
How big is big and how advanced/aggressive are you? What are the fast guys running at your local hill?

Can't say enough about the Volkl, Head and Rossi Masters cheater GS skis. All of them have a nice progressive side cut that allow for easy corrections yet hold with lots of power. The Volkl is the most lively with feedback, and the Head is the most damp.

What skis are you on now? The jump to a cheater GS ski can be pretty big if you are used to wide all mountain skis.

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
I am currently skiing a K2 Aftershock which is an 86 underfoot ski with Metal that is pretty beefy.

I'm 6'3 ~255 lbs

Right now I'm about 2-3 seconds behind the best racers I saw times for from Sunday. I'm skiing pretty aggressively IMO. Skis are holding me back some right now.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Any demos available? Are the fast guys willing to talk skis? Knowing what works with your course sets is helpful, they are all a little different.

Typically a 18 to 21m cheater works best. Off the cuff, the Head in 185 will work nicely. I can vouch for Volkl in 180 with them getting me lots of gold and platinum. No idea how much more energy the 185 Volkl needs over the 180. The 180 seems to work well for my 6' 3" 240lb friend, he runs 12's to 16's on his.

ScotsSkier

USSA Coach
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
sorry, nothing with a smaller radius. All I have at the moment is 186/27m Fischer EC GS and 188/30 fischer WC GS. Although at your size the 186/27 could work well

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Any demos available? Are the fast guys willing to talk skis? Knowing what works with your course sets is helpful, they are all a little different.

Typically a 18 to 21m cheater works best. Off the cuff, the Head in 185 will work nicely. I can vouch for Volkl in 180 with them getting me lots of gold and platinum. No idea how much more energy the 185 Volkl needs over the 180. The 180 seems to work well for my 6' 3" 240lb friend, he runs 12's to 16's on his.

There are very few demo days in MN that I have seen... Really stinks trying to buy new skis here that will work for you never being able to try them out first.

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
I've recently began running NASTAR and beer league races and absolutely love it.

I'm interested in buying a set of carving/racing skis for this purpose. Let me know if you have something that would work for me.

Location: Twin Cities, MN preferred but will pay shipping for the right skis.

Look around for some Atomic Redster GS 174-182 depending on the year. There are always some around locally as they are the predominant beer league ski locally everywhere but buck hill. I just sold a set a few weeks ago after upgrading to last years Redster XT. Turning radius is 16-18 depending on year and length

These ones are $200 but need bindings
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/spo/d/downhill-race-skis/6430784272.html

Some with bindings - also 175
https://rmn.craigslist.org/spo/d/atomic-downhill-skis/6446897019.html

I'm 6ft 180 and was on 174's for the last 3 years, switched to 182's this year. Oddly enough the radius on my 182 XT's is a little shorter than the 4 year older 174 Redsters I had

Last edited:
TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Look around for some Atomic Redster GS 174-182 depending on the year. There are always some around locally as they are the predominant beer league ski locally everywhere but buck hill. I just sold a set a few weeks ago after upgrading to last years Redster XT. Turning radius is 16-18 depending on year and length

These ones are $200 but need bindings
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/spo/d/downhill-race-skis/6430784272.html

Some with bindings - also 175
https://rmn.craigslist.org/spo/d/atomic-downhill-skis/6446897019.html

I'm 6ft 180 and was on 174's for the last 3 years, switched to 182's this year. Oddly enough the radius on my 182 XT's is a little shorter than the 4 year older 174 Redsters I had

Thanks Jeep. What would it cost me to put bindings on those ones that are $200? They are only 10-15 miles from my house which would be nice.

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ooh - crap. Just realized that those ones with no bindings are not cheaters
They say they have a 23.5 radius. Bad Nastar ski for around here

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ooh - crap. Just realized that those ones with no bindings are not cheaters
They say they have a 23.5 radius. Bad Nastar ski for around here

Yeah that does seem a bit too long... I'd prefer something 17-20.

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier
Yeah that does seem a bit too long... I'd prefer something 17-20.

The ones with the bindings are 15.5 radius. Too bad you don't race at welch, you would be most of the way there ;)

TS
focker

focker

Out on the slopes
Skier
Plus those are "youth" skis. He's way too big and heavy for them. You might take a look on sidelineswap.com.

That is a great website, but every carving ski on there has a 30+ radius. There are no cheater skis on there at all, and actually very little SL skis even.

OldJeep

Getting off the lift
Skier

Sponsor

Staff online