• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

T-Square

Terry
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Since we've jumped the shark and got zero air points I decided to share some of my old USSA comp video for MA..

That’s just me in a straight run. :D

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
As an old rec mogul skier I have less to add just 2 cents, than you hard cores.

KingGrump >>>Most consider Mary Jane as the Mecca of bump skiing. I spent a month there couple seasons back.
Have to agree it’s really nice there. Great snow, decent pitch, not much grooming and lots of good skiers.
The bumps are nicely formed and regular. Not too deep and not too steep. Low consequences for screw ups.
All that makes up for great zipper line bump skiing. One of the more unique hill around.

My favorite time to ski Tahoe mogul slopes as long as lift lines are not an issue, has always been Saturday afternoons because that is when such slopes see the most traffic given Tahoe resorts are dominated by weekenders from urban areas, generating the most loose snow making routes through smoother. And note that does not mean there are so many dropping down lines that skiers are getting in the way of others because that is rarely an issue for bump enthusiasts (gully below Olympic). In colder winter conditions, when even well shaped mogul slopes have fewer skiers, unless snow is of a dry packed powder quality, it won't be as consistently pleasant as when numbers of bump skiers are using it. An example of bump slopes that usually don't need skiers might be beneath Chair 5 or Climax at Mammoth or The Funnel at Squaw or Monte at KW, because those are windy places where it is usually blowing all the loose windblown snow around that accomplishes the same thing. Given the topography I'd expect bumps on Kachina are usually like that too. A great thing about MJ is besides having the altitude where packed powder conditions dominate, is it has a critical mass of good urban Denver bump skiers keeping slopes nicely loose. Besides the fact many of us have a bit of show off in us, that is also why historically bump slopes right below lifts also had the best moguls, like the old Chair 3 slope at Mammoth, as lots of us were on those slopes making them nicely loose.

One thing about all this conversation about zipper lines is that there are zipper lines, and then there are zipper lines, and then there are zipper lines, much like there are bumps, and then there are bumps, and then there are bumps. I'm saying although there may be some commonalities there are also considerable variations that tends to get lost when people start using simplifying words in conversation. Bump slopes are rather complex with myriad shapes. And that also resonates with dbostedo's question about meandering. On mogul slopes especially away from the center, there are usually a range of fall lines some looking more like a zipper line than others, some with a few obvious left rights than others. I'll bounce around in and out of lines guiding where I want to go if I have enough time to react so and choose to especially if speed is picking up and I want to slow it down.

TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Further evidence that the highest level of bump skiing is in the zipper line, I submit to you the classic movie "Fistful of Moguls." The first 30 seconds should do:

It's fun to see Jonny Mosely prominently featured leading up to his gold medal at the 1998 Olympics in the context of the recent "Return of the Turn" video. The guy can rip.

The movie is currently free on Amazon Prime. I watched it again this weekend, and it's entertaining and inspiring every time I watch it!
https://www.amazon.com/Fistful-Moguls-Glen-Plake/dp/B00JUIYVOE

Hopefully, this quote from Glen Plake isn't too incendiary. :D

What is a big deal is mogul skiing. You don't buy it. You don't fake it. It's real. It's alive. If you want to find the best skiers on the mountain, you may want to take a good hard look at who is skiing the bumps. Moguls, now that is something you don't buy, you earn. That's something you don't talk about at the bar, about how bad-ass your mogul run was. Because everyone was there, everyone saw it. It was right there, under the chair. There's nothing to hide. There's nothing to buy that can help you. -- Glen Plake in "Fistfull of Moguls"

Last edited:
TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Also currently free on Amazon Prime is Greg Stump's Legend of Ahhh's:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DM0UX84

Through a semi-autobiographical approach, Greg Stump explores the history of ski films and how this genre influenced both the sport itself and pop culture following the extreme sports movement. (2012) Starring: Greg Stump, Glen Plake, Scot Schmidt

I watched it last night for the first time and enjoyed it. He interviews Warren Miller, MSP, TGR, and other ski film makers, and shows the "making of" Blizzard of Ahhh's. It's a great historical perspective for an old guy like me who grew up on his movies.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The flip side is beginners thinking they are "supposed" to ski the zipper line, and feeling completely defeated when they can't, or feeling they're being given some sort of "lesser" option when instructors teach them different tactics. (Although arguably you may need to master those tactics on the way to the zipper line. I assume.) This describes my experience.
Well they are given a lesser option when they are taught a different line.

Rod9301

Making fresh tracks
Skier
When we are in lessons, and happen to be doing a bump session, one of the things our instructor tells us is not to ski the zipper line. Too easy. We will do medium radius , constant turn shape for a lot of time , turning anywhere on the bump we happen to be. Or maybe we will do a drill of two turns on every bump. But never the zipper line
Maybe your instructor is saying the zipper love is too easy, because he can't ski it, or doesn't want to teach it.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
When the corn is popping and you are hitting your groove in the zipper time will seem to slow to a crawl. Miss one turn and things will speed up quickly.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Yeah tball, Fistfull of Moguls, by far my favorite of the Stump movies. Love those opening sequences. Given the current dry spell is going to last quite some time, maybe for some inspiration will shake the dust off my old VHS tape and watch it for lunch tomorrow? Also may tee up Hot Dog for some laughs later this week...

yaw eet eaz agreed.......CHINESE DOWNHILL- - - What is a f***kuh is ah Chinese Downhill?

TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So a bit late to the discussion. Expert skiing is about versatility. Ski the zipper line? Check. Ski GS turns in a bump field? Check. Ski a round line? Check. Air it out? Check.

Then it's expert skiing.

Mike
Absolutely!

Do you agree with my belief that the best bump skiers spend the vast majority of their time skiing in the zipper line?

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
So a bit late to the discussion. Expert skiing is about versatility. Ski the zipper line? Check. Ski GS turns in a bump field? Check. Ski a round line? Check. Air it out? Check.

Then it's expert skiing.

Mike

This belongs in the season -- or career -- skiing goals post.

Right now I'm at: ski zipper for a dozen bumps, GS turns in small proto-bumps, ski round line most of the time, and air it out only at beginning or end of bump fields.

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
By definition, your belief is true. Why? Because the best bump skiers are on the FIS mogul circuit.

If you are talking about non-FIS folk, then I don’t necessarily agree with you. I think many of those skiers ski a lot of different lines. Of course, the folk who I think are the “best” bump skiers may not line up with your classification of the best skiers. Mine would be folk like Paul Lorenz, Reilly McGlashin, Richie Berger, JF Beaulieu, and the like. Some of the Japanese tech skiers. Etc.

Mike

Mike King

AKA Habacomike
Instructor
One thing I would say about the zipper line is that it requires a huge amount of range of motion. Learning to ski the zipper line well will enhance all of your other skiing because of that one fact. It also requires discipline in the hip, and excellent alignment throughout the turn. And bump skiing is three dimensional skiing. Skiing the bumps well, and learning to use the full range of motion in the hip, knee, and ankle joint, can transform your groomer skiing to three dimensional skiing where you start to focus on when and how to bend the ski.

Mike

TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are talking about non-FIS folk, then I don’t necessarily agree with you. I think many of those skiers ski a lot of different lines. Of course, the folk who I think are the “best” bump skiers may not line up with your classification of the best skiers. Mine would be folk like Paul Lorenz, Reilly McGlashin, Richie Berger, JF Beaulieu, and the like. Some of the Japanese tech skiers. Etc.
Thanks, Mike!

From the video I've seen of those guys (all great skiers!), it seems they still spend the majority of their time skiing in the zipper line. Maybe not the vast majority, but still the majority.

Also, they may not be using a competitive zipper line technique, but they are still mostly skiing in the zipper line.

Is that a fair perception?

Last edited:
TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Here's a fun exercise to keep the entertaining bump videos coming.

I've asked the impartial all-knowing ski examiner Google to pick the very best bump video for the skiers Mike mentioned. Below is the top search result for each searching for their name and "bumps":

Paul Lorenz Bumps

Reilly McGlashan Bumps

Richi Berger Bumps

JF Beaulieu Bumps

That's some beautiful zipper line skiing in those videos!

So, if anyone ends up with a zipper line denying instructor, just tell them you want to ski like that!

Last edited:

Sponsor