• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Nice videos! I was thinking Berger was the only one sking a competition-style line, and then I get to the end of his vid and it looks like that might BE a competition, Is that tent holding judges?

TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fantastic skiing in those Japanese technical skiing competitions. That makes two types of bump competitions focused on skiing the zipper line.

I think by definition a competition has the best skiers skiing at their highest level, yes?

So, is there another kind of bump competition out there NOT focused on skiing the zipper line? Maybe one where skiers are judged by their meandering and airplane turns? :roflmao:

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I think by definition a competition has the best skiers skiing at their highest level, yes?

Not necessarily. A judged competition has skiers skiing in such a way as to meet the judges' criteria.

But I think this was already expressed somewhere upthread. Sadly, I can't find the "beating a dead horse" emoji.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
I think to see non-zipperline style in a competition format, you would have to use an irregularly moguled hill to force some more variety into the turns. That and/or change the rules a bit. Can you even run a competition on such a hill without the moguls reshaping to become regular for later competitors? I think the zipper line is the natural result of the rules imposed. What if it was instead mogul slalom? :roflmao:Or if it was a combined giant slalom AND mogul run? IMO this may be more interesting than the aerials for me - someone who doesn't leave the ground for long on purpose.

As was mentioned earlier in the thread, @Josh Matta mention that sometimes you want to air over something or make more than 1 turn on a mogul to get down the easiest way. What does it mean to ski the 'easiest' way?

I guess other question is - what is the best style of mogul skiing for you? I think it depends on your aim.

Do you want to maximize your downhill speed?
Do you want to minimize athletic exertion?
Do you want to minimize range of motion required?
Maintain a certain turn radius or rhythm?
Prevent injury based on your own unique physiology and conditioning?

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
So, is there another kind of bump competition out there NOT focused on skiing the zipper line? Maybe one where skiers are judged by their meandering and airplane turns? :roflmao:

Yes, there is such a competition that runs Friday, Saturday and Sundays for the entire month of May on Superstar. The judges are some of the best bump fans from the East Coast and beyond. Get this tough crowd to watch and cheer for your bump run will make feel like a champion. Be nice and a little humble and the inspiring World Cup mogul skiers from our mountain school will let you follow them down the best zipper lines. Stop along with most other skiers and marvel as Randy “The Hammer” Grasso proves yet again why many here consider him the King. I find it fun to watch the youngsters but am most impressed watching those that have been getting it done for the past 20, 30 or in my case 40 years. Working hard on what I call the “Old Man Zipperline” or low impact style that may extend my ability to enjoy this part of skiing as my senior years loom. Pic below shows one of favorite buddies skiing the old man line.

Lower Superstar May17.jpg

TS
tball

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sadly, I can't find the "beating a dead horse" emoji.
OK, as long as we can slide the anti-zipper line carcass down a steep icy bump run to make sure it stays dead. :)

Usually they will take your money even if you suck. Somebody has to come in last, right?
There is worse than last. I came in one minute over the time limit in an MTB race. DNF and no finisher medal for me. :wave:

Last edited:

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
@Seldomski I think I should preface that at certain speeds airing it out can be the easiest way because when done correctly it is less impact but easiest will always be slower and picking a line that doesn't require air...

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not necessarily. A judged competition has skiers skiing in such a way as to meet the judges' criteria.

But I think this was already expressed somewhere upthread. Sadly, I can't find the "beating a dead horse" emoji.

I don't think the horse is dead nor has it been beaten down, I got out b/c it was turning into a p!issing match. I do believe the post below makes a point that few have consider but bumpers will surely understand. Lifts where you can see the mogul action below or from the lodge, superstar has the gazebo, the yellowish brown dome at the base in the pic, it has a bar hangout once the legs become noodles and has chairs to see the skiers and riders coming down.

I tried to tune out things when I'm on the bump run, from the lift chairs above, you will hear the hoots and hollers. If you messed up you will get the funny smart@ss remarks as well. When I'm riding up single I will here the commentary. Like it or not things are said and most are favorable toward a zipperline or skiing direct That said when I make some turns with other bumpers we have talked about other skiers going down the trail... it happens.

Yes, there is such a competition that runs Friday, Saturday and Sundays for the entire month of May on Superstar. The judges are some of the best bump fans from the East Coast and beyond. Get this tough crowd to watch and cheer for your bump run will make feel like a champion. Be nice and a little humble and the inspiring World Cup mogul skiers from our mountain school will let you follow them down the best zipper lines. Stop along with most other skiers and marvel as Randy “The Hammer” Grasso proves yet again why many here consider him the King. I find it fun to watch the youngsters but am most impressed watching those that have been getting it done for the past 20, 30 or in my case 40 years. Working hard on what I call the “Old Man Zipperline” or low impact style that may extend my ability to enjoy this part of skiing as my senior years loom. Pic below shows one of favorite buddies skiing the old man line.

View attachment 35111

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online