• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boutique/indy skis

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
Any thoughts on the Moment Hot Mess? Saw the review thread on Ski Diva, but haven't found much else.

The Hot Mess(and kids models) are shrunken dimensions but similar shape/profile of their PB&J model which is now been replaced by the Wildcat 101.

Hot Mess would be a bit more versatile daily driver for many as it’s 87-91mm underfoot vs 101mm of the PB&J. If more of a powder/new snow ski is wanted, the Wildcat 101 at 101mm underfoot is now available in lengths all the way down to 154cm. Wildcat 101 has a heavier wood core and has a faster base material vs the Hot Mess/PB&J.

All are very easy to pivot, offer lots of stability and great in crud for their weight.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
I have a similar quiver to yours. if you did not have the enforcer free 104, would you have picked the wildcat 108 or 116?

Had the 184cm Bibby’s before as my powder ski(loved them) but wished for a bit more float for my 175lb weight and to be able to drive the shovels more. I knew the Wildcats were being updated so the 190cm 118cm 2021 versions were a no brainer for a powder ski.

If I lived out West rather than just visiting a few weeks every year and didn’t need as much hard snow edge grip, I would definitely consider the 108 Wildcat. The WC 108 is fantastic in the trees which I love to ski out West!
The Enforcers 104(and my Fisher Ranger 102s) offer a longer effective edge and better edge grip that I need while skiing in variable East Coast conditions. The Enforcer 104s replaced a pair of PB&Js that I liked but didn’t love although the Wildcat 101 should be a large upgrade.

So what skis/ ski widths do you current have in your quiver?
Find the Wildcat 101 is the West Coast “daily driver”, the WC 108 the “bit of snow or powder ski“ in a smaller quiver and the 116/118 WC is the dedicated powder ski although it’s pretty versatile for it’s width.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Had the 184cm Bibby’s before as my powder ski(loved them) but wished for a bit more float for my 175lb weight and to be able to drive the shovels more. I knew the Wildcats were being updated so the 190cm 118cm 2021 versions were a no brainer for a powder ski.

If I lived out West rather than just visiting a few weeks every year and didn’t need as much hard snow edge grip, I would definitely consider the 108 Wildcat. The WC 108 is fantastic in the trees which I love to ski out West!
The Enforcers 104(and my Fisher Ranger 102s) offer a longer effective edge and better edge grip that I need while skiing in variable East Coast conditions. The Enforcer 104s replaced a pair of PB&Js that I liked but didn’t love although the Wildcat 101 should be a large upgrade.

So what skis/ ski widths do you current have in your quiver?
Find the Wildcat 101 is the West Coast “daily driver”, the WC 108 the “bit of snow or powder ski“ in a smaller quiver and the 116/118 WC is the dedicated powder ski although it’s pretty versatile for it’s width.
A liberty v76 for the hard snow and a rustler 9 for everyday / park skiing. I would like to add something wider for the big days like the wildcat but wonder if I could just replace the R9 by the wildcat 108

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
A liberty v76 for the hard snow and a rustler 9 for everyday / park skiing. I would like to add something wider for the big days like the wildcat but wonder if I could just replace the R9 by the wildcat 108

The Wildcat 108 would be a fairly big gap from the Liberty as it’s quite soft snow biased and needs a decent amount of speed for carving with it’s longer radius. I’d recommend something like the Fisher 102 instead of the Rustler 9 as the Fisher will be more stable, a better carver and have better float when there’s a bit of snow vs the Rustler 9. The Fisher will have similar float to the WC 108 but better grip on firmer snow and more fun to carve at more sane speeds.

I’d do the Wildcat in the 116/118mm size for the dedicated powder ski when budget allows in a 3 ski quiver. The latest big Cat is the reference playful powder ski.

Reactions: Flo

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
The Wildcat 108 would be a fairly big gap from the Liberty as it’s quite soft snow biased and needs a decent amount of speed for carving with it’s longer radius. I’d recommend something like the Fisher 102 instead of the Rustler 9 as the Fisher will be more stable, a better carver and have better float when there’s a bit of snow vs the Rustler 9. The Fisher will have similar float to the WC 108 but better grip on firmer snow and more fun to carve at more sane speeds.

I’d do the Wildcat in the 116/118mm size for the dedicated powder ski when budget allows in a 3 ski quiver. The latest big Cat is the reference playful powder ski.
I changed my mind, sold the Liberty and kept the Rustler 9. The V76 were too hard snow / groomers oriented and I can't help but go explore the trees or the ungroomed trails. For that I really like the R9. I am looking for deals for a wider skis for >3 inches of snow and hesitating between Moment Wildcat / Deathwish and ON3P billy goat. I am still progressing (early advanced skier) and need a ski that is manageable in rough snow (in crud / chopped snow it happens that my R9 do not go where I want and that it is me who follow them:ogbiggrin:). Would you still recommend the Wildcat 184cm? FYI (5'9 165lbs).

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
Shaggy's showing off their tuning machine.

I find it remarkable that these brands offer skis that are not more expensive than the majors. They definitely deserve to be better known.

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
I changed my mind, sold the Liberty and kept the Rustler 9. The V76 were too hard snow / groomers oriented and I can't help but go explore the trees or the ungroomed trails. For that I really like the R9. I am looking for deals for a wider skis for >3 inches of snow and hesitating between Moment Wildcat / Deathwish and ON3P billy goat. I am still progressing (early advanced skier) and need a ski that is manageable in rough snow (in crud / chopped snow it happens that my R9 do not go where I want and that it is me who follow them:ogbiggrin:). Would you still recommend the Wildcat 184cm? FYI (5'9 165lbs).

What size R9 are you on?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier

For your size, you could go 179cm or 184cm for even more stability and float. Lots of rocker so they ski short. As far as “deals” you’re better off searching for the 184cm size as the 179cm is new this year so no deals on those and won’t likely find them used yet. Moments go to about $650 new in the Spring/Summer for existing stock.

Billy Goat a fun, surfy powder ski but quite as versatile for the days after the storm vs a Wildcat.

Another ski that would be great would be a 180cm Rustler 11. Way more stable in crud and at speed compared to the 9 and deals to be had on those including used.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
What size R9 are you on?
180cm. Wildcat and Deathwish have more tip/tail rocker that’s why I think the 184cm would be the best option. However I think it’s also stiffer than the Rustler so ...
Yes a Rustler 11 would be great and I probable have a better chance to find a good deal. I just wanted to have a bit of diversity
For a similar price I would prefer to support my local...

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
180cm. Wildcat and Deathwish have more tip/tail rocker that’s why I think the 184cm would be the best option. However I think it’s also stiffer than the Rustler so ...
Yes a Rustler 11 would be great and I probable have a better chance to find a good deal. I just wanted to have a bit of diversity
For a similar price I would prefer to support my local...

184cm Wildcat for sure then if you’re on the 180cm Rustler. Love having an Indy ski too as not as common except in Utah during a powder day where you’ll see lots of smart people skiing them!
Think it’s worth getting the 2021 Wildcat if getting a deal isn’t top priority for the base/sidewall/core upgrades. I’m in a COVID lock down province but got a couple hours on my new Wildcats and they are great even on groomers.

Reactions: Flo

Quandary

Out on the slopes
Skier
Loving my Praxis 9D8s in this low snow year. Found some bumped up soft snow in the trees off of Chair 6 at Breck today. They were a joy to ski. (p.s. this pic is not Chair 6)

9D8.jpg

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier

I own the Deathwish and Billygoat and have owned the Wildcat tour.

Billygoat is a much better powder ski than the deathwish, but the deathwish is more fun on less than 6 inches of snow.

I really like the billygoat in chop, but it is less fun once things get packed down. The Wildcat and Deathwish will be much better on groomers, chalk, and bumps.

The Billygoat is a powder ski that specailizes in heavy snow, but is quite fun for all fresh and tracked. The Wildcat seems is a more veristale, less specailzed ski. You can use it more days than the billygoat. The deathwish is more of an everyday ski. Adequate in powder, but it isn't it's specialty. It's a great choice for a 3-6 inch day.

Flo

Getting on the lift
Skier
I own the Deathwish and Billygoat and have owned the Wildcat tour.

Billygoat is a much better powder ski than the deathwish, but the deathwish is more fun on less than 6 inches of snow.

I really like the billygoat in chop, but it is less fun once things get packed down. The Wildcat and Deathwish will be much better on groomers, chalk, and bumps.

The Billygoat is a powder ski that specailizes in heavy snow, but is quite fun for all fresh and tracked. The Wildcat seems is a more veristale, less specailzed ski. You can use it more days than the billygoat. The deathwish is more of an everyday ski. Adequate in powder, but it isn't it's specialty. It's a great choice for a 3-6 inch day.
I am finally decided on a Wildcat 184cm ;) I think they will be a better complement to my Rustler 9 than a Deathwish (more overlap) or a Billygoat (too specialized). I like my R9 as an everyday ski although sometimes I wish they had a stiffer tip.

Sponsor