• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot Question

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
I am also intrigued as to what is a "Florida fit"?

I'm going to go out on a limb and say this is -

Women-Sandals-2017-comfort-beach-Slippers-Summer-fashion-women-Sandals-JIASHA.jpg_640x640.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
We forget something with boots, they shells have gotten a lot more efficient over time, where most 26.5 shells used to be 310ish in MM, there are some now that are just 300mm with the same interior length. Sure the Flexon was 301mm but that was the exception. I think this is where much of the downsizing (or right sizing as I prefer to call it) happens.

Back to the Flexon, when Plake designed the original Krypton, he was tired of his toes being against the front of the boot, so he had them make the boot 5mm longer, this is why the Krypton is 306mm.

coops

Getting on the lift
Skier
I'm in my fourth pair of Surefoot's foamed boots over the last 20-odd years, all done at either Snowmass or Breckenridge. Took a break two sets ago to use a noted Breckenridge fitter and switched back after one unimpressive season. YMMV, but how can you get a more custom fit than foaming? I've been using custom footbeds since the 1970s and find theirs to be as good as any others I've had.

I'm glad you've managed to get decent boots from Surefoot.
Mine were terrible, as were my best friends wife's - and they told her they'd shaved down the boot board to relieve pressure she had on a problem area on her forefoot... except later at Jams, park City, it turned out the board hadd 't been touched at all.

I'd say either a good foam fit or zipfit liner is best - and lace up liner is lovely as you are then not cranking the shell closed to get that liner snugged up round your foot.

A foam liner is NO guarantee of a good fit all - first a decent bootfiter will select a SHELL that is a decent starting point for that persons foot and their skiing style and ability, then alter the shell as needed and only then foam or fit the zipfit liner.

On the other hand... what is the percentage of people coming out of a Surefoot shop in Lange shells?

A lazy/mediocre/bored 'fitter' at Surefoot can either adjust a shell as needed... or size up a bit and 'fill her up' with foam. Job done... at least for a few days and they'll be gone elsewhere anyway if that persons comes in to complain and take 'advantage' of a lifetime fit guarantee.

For a reasonable foot any 'custom' footbed will be fine ... but had problems for ages due to excess varus/vagus (?) on my right foot, finally cured by a fitting at Heierling in Switzerland where they check foot pressures on pressure plates. Had similar pains on the golf course with some shoes. So some podiatrist knowledge can be needed to provide a custom orthotic footbed to deal with and cure root issues.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Back to the Flexon, when Plake designed the original Krypton, he was tired of his toes being against the front of the boot, so he had them make the boot 5mm longer, this is why the Krypton is 306mm.
This is my only complaint with my Lange RS130 (in 30.5!). The fitter has expanded the toebox as much as they are comfortable with and say more could affect the interface with the toe binding. And yes I have custom footbeds by the same fitter. Otherwise, I'm very happy with how the boot fits the rest of my foot and works with my skis!

While waiting for my boot work, a guy came in with his Lange/Surefoots. They started working on putting him into ZipFits...

L&AirC

PSIA Instructor and USSA Coach
Skier
We forget something with boots, they shells have gotten a lot more efficient over time, where most 26.5 shells used to be 310ish in MM, there are some now that are just 300mm with the same interior length. Sure the Flexon was 301mm but that was the exception. I think this is where much of the downsizing (or right sizing as I prefer to call it) happens.

Wouldn't that be nice. The manufacturer sells to the world based on what you want the product to be.

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier
Claud Swonger- Skinet sports, Studio City

Dallas Goldsmith/ Jim Morrison - Goldsmiths, Big Bear

Cordy Lawerance - Footloose , Mammoth (early season only, semi-retired)
Dave ? - Footloose, Mammoth

MountainMonster

~0~
Skier

Cordy helped design the Tecnica Mach 1 boots,

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter

Cordy helped design the Tecnica Mach 1 boots,
If you have any difficulty in getting fit - then avoid both Claude and Dallas. They both quickly reach a point where they tell you it’s your feet and not their poor fitting. Both insisted I should be in a 25 mondo. I wear a 24 mondo and could still go down a size if I wanted to.

Sponsor

Staff online