• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot bags and airline experiences

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
What have your experiences been flying with a boot bag? Were you always allowed to take it as a carry-on? If you had issues, which airlines and which boot bags did they happen with? Also, have you had experiences taking heated boot bags as a carry-on?

Dave Marshak

All Time World Champion
Skier
I travel with a 70 liter backpack and a small bag with my boots and helmet. The boots fit under the seat, but not usually the helmet. So far they have let all that go. They can get the backpack to gate check but not the boot bag. Most of them know better than to try to take away anyone's boots.

FWIW some airlines are demanding gate checking even when there is still room in the overhead. IT's all about loading the plane faster, but you could lose your boots if you have them in your carry on, not as your personal item.

dm

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have never had issues carrying on a boot bag, but all of my boot bags conform to (or are close to) the maximum dimensions allowed for carry-on bags. No problems carrying on my Transpack heated bag. I often use and additional boot bag as luggage so it will combine with my ski bag and count as ‘one’ bag. No airline has ever checked to see if there were actually boots in the bag. I mainly fly Delta and American.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
I fly Delta out to Colorado every February and have never had a problem with bringing my boot bag on as my carry-on. Just check the size against what is permitted.

Clever bbinder using a second boot bag as a checked bag to go with your skis. Never heard of that before. My brother has flown Delta a lot (lives in Atlanta) and has gotten away with calling his duffle his boot bag. Most of the time the agent has agreed to that, even with all his clothes in there in addition to the boots. .

Jersey Skier

aka RatherPlayThanWork or Gary
Skier
Luggage restrictions are getting worse. Just booked my son's Spring Break flights on United and he can't even bring on a regular carry-on. Unless we booked above basic economy ticket, he has to check and pay for the bag.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Luggage restrictions are getting worse. Just booked my son's Spring Break flights on United and he can't even bring on a regular carry-on. Unless we booked above basic economy ticket, he has to check and pay for the bag.

You need to think of regular Economy as the regular. Basic Economy is a Discounted ticket for giving up stuff.

That being said, it's still getting worse even in regular Economy and across the board (mainly because of the human behavior you've just demonstrated, where most people are always booking the cheapest ticket that comes up in search engines, no matter how terrible it is, and not willing to pay extra for extras).

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
You need to think of regular Economy as the regular. Basic Economy is a Discounted ticket for giving up stuff.

This.

It's kind of insidious, as you often see that fare compared to other airlines regular Economy, allowing them to advertise cheaper prices for just a few seats per plane. I've learned to double check that when booking airfares (as well as factoring in any other luggage charge variations across carriers).

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
FYI, on the other side of the coin.
if you fly business/1st class, they usually will not hassle you over a non-conforming boot bag, or will find a space for even bootbag+1extra carryon;
Especially if you're paying and not on an upgrade ticket.
Check the prices especially if you're planning on paying to check 2 bags, it's often just a small extra to get to business. You also get 70# versus 50# bag limit so no worries with weights.

oldfashoned

Out on the slopes
Skier
Anyone with experience on Southwest? They advertise no extra cost for skis or boot bag.

Jersey Skier

Skier

That being said, it's still getting worse even in regular Economy and across the board (mainly because of the human behavior you've just demonstrated, where most people are always booking the cheapest ticket that comes up in search engines, no matter how terrible it is, and not willing to pay extra for extras).

Like I said, this is for my son's trip back from college. There is no way I'm flying economy for any distance, but he can suffer for 1:40 minutes on our dime. Would be nice if he could bring a carry on, but even paying to check a bag, it is less expensive than economy plus.

Jersey Skier

Skier
Anyone with experience on Southwest? They advertise no extra cost for skis or boot bag.

I always heart great things, but I think it depends where you are flying from. Flying out of Newark, SW even with free bags always turns out to be more money than every other flight I find.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier

Southwest is the best imo. Free carry on and also the biggest carry on size in the business to my knowledge. 2 free checked bags and a ski and boot bag counts as 1, although we put out ski boots in our carry on. We have used them for both ski and golf travel with no issues. The only thing to watch is that bags don’t exceed 50 pounds.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I always heart great things, but I think it depends where you are flying from. Flying out of Newark, SW even with free bags always turns out to be more money than every other flight I find.

Southwest has 2 free checked + free carry-on on every ticket. Just be aware that you don’t get to sit together unless you pony up extra.

We have flown them the last 5 years MPLS-DEN and it’s always gone great. Check in at Denver during Presidents’ Day week is horrible.

Our friends have found them to be cheapest out of Newark too, contrary to @Jersey Skier ‘s experience.

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
FYI, on the other side of the coin.
if you fly business/1st class, they usually will not hassle you over a non-conforming boot bag, or will find a space for even bootbag+1extra carryon;
Especially if you're paying and not on an upgrade ticket.
Check the prices especially if you're planning on paying to check 2 bags, it's often just a small extra to get to business. You also get 70# versus 50# bag limit so no worries with weights.

Business class tickets come with free checked bags?

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Like I said, this is for my son's trip back from college. There is no way I'm flying economy for any distance, but he can suffer for 1:40 minutes on our dime. Would be nice if he could bring a carry on, but even paying to check a bag, it is less expensive than economy plus.

Yep, it’s just a matter of comparing the [ticket price + any extras] that you personally need and checking that total price.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
I flew basic economy a couple times recently and had no problem using a small backpack as my ONE "personal item". The smallest, boots but not much else sized boot bag would fit. As long as it fits under the seat you're good. And, even with a full regular business or economy fare they can still make you gate check your 2nd overhead sized carry on when the flight is full and you are boarding late. First class or tiny, under the seat sized carry on is the only way to 100% guarantee you won't have to check your boot bag these days, albeit that risk is low, but possible.

graham418

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
airport skiboots.jpg

Sometimes, You just do what you gotta do.....................:roflmao:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Business class tickets come with free checked bags?

Yes, typically. American Airlines, for instance, has 2 free checked bags for Premium Economy and Business Class, and 3 free checked bags for First Class.

The ticket price, IME, usually more than makes up for it though. I HAVE gotten good deals doing upgrades at check-in time to business or first class if they're offered. In a couple of cases for shorter flights (like DC to New England), the upgrade fee is less than paying for 2 checked bags. But it's a crap shoot whether or not the flight is full and those upgrades are offered.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Just be aware that you don’t get to sit together unless you pony up extra.

Huh? We’ve never experienced this and have never paid the esrly boarding fee. If you check everyone in online together early you get consecutive boarding positions which allows your party to board together and choose seats together. If you check in late and have a poor boarding position finding seats together could be a problem I’d guess.

Sponsor

Staff online