• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot bags and airline experiences

skidrew

Getting off the lift
Skier
I have trouble fitting my boot bag either in the overhead or under the seat when I fly smaller planes (EA175, CRJ200/700/900, etc). Unfortunately, other than DEN and SLC, most of my ski flights (RNO, YYC, JAC, BZN, ASE, GJT, GEG) are on these small planes. I have a transpack heated bag and a Dakine 50L boot bag. I've never had to gate check them, though. If it's an issue, I just pull my boots out of the bag and go all Tetris on the overhead.

1) No issues carrying on Transpak (the triangular one) - I think airlines won't hassle you on trips to ski places.

2) Doesn't fit particuarly well in overhead with boots, helmet, and other gear - it's the wrong shape - on mainline aircraft. If I'm flying an RJ and can gate check I'm not worried about it - I can see my bag go in and it will come out the other end. Not like checking from my orginating point.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier
Has nothing to do with electronics. It's not about them stopping you, but pure physical sizing. The overhead bins in those smaller jets there are much thinner and you cannot fit a typical boot bag orientation in there, but have to utilize the Tetris L +reverseL orientation to make a flat rectangle.
Your other option (if your body is small) is to put the boot stuff under the seat in front of you, as that space is foot and leg shaped. Then put helmet or smaller item above.

Agreed... I use a standard roller bag that (used to) fit the dimensions for overhead bins. United/American/Delta have revised their carry on sizing guide to match the smallest planes they fly... booo. My bag fits easily in the larger jets. For the smaller jets, I have to pack it as light as possible. Can still fit 2x boots and all the clothes I wear for one day skiing (except the helmet). In that configuration, it will fit in the smaller bin with some elbow grease. It is not pretty though. If I have more than that in there, it won't fit. On a 737, I can fill that bag to bursting and it still fits in the overhead - easily.

Depends on the gate agent if they force me to check it when I check in. Best to try to hide it during that process...

Sponsor

Staff online