• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Boot bags and airline experiences

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
I have trouble fitting my boot bag either in the overhead or under the seat when I fly smaller planes (EA175, CRJ200/700/900, etc). Unfortunately, other than DEN and SLC, most of my ski flights (RNO, YYC, JAC, BZN, ASE, GJT, GEG) are on these small planes. I have a transpack heated bag and a Dakine 50L boot bag. I've never had to gate check them, though. If it's an issue, I just pull my boots out of the bag and go all Tetris on the overhead.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, typically. American Airlines, for instance, has 2 free checked bags for Premium Economy and Business Class, and 3 free checked bags for First Class.

The ticket price, IME, usually more than makes up for it though. I HAVE gotten good deals doing upgrades at check-in time to business or first class if they're offered. In a couple of cases for shorter flights (like DC to New England), the upgrade fee is less than paying for 2 checked bags. But it's a crap shoot whether or not the flight is full and those upgrades are offered.

Yea, a business class will cost 1.5x an economy ticket, so if you buy in advanced. maybe it's still going to be like $70 more than the price of checking 2bags, and you don't have to cram everything to reduce to 1 bag and hope for csrryon. But after you think over, you realize you want to relax on the way out and back in the big seat. Piority checkin since you have bags actually has some value, You usually get some food or at least a better snack, and of course free booze as you want. If there is an affiliated domestic lounge in the airport you will get access there before for more free booze and snack. Is paying like $35 each way for a snack and big seat worth it? no, but treat yourself once in awhile, its a smaller upcharge than $85 for those perks (since you're utilizing the bagfees).

I fly out of sfo, so that means stuck flying UAL. The profit optimizer supercomputer is working smoothly, and with the huge # of status travelers means all upgrades typically have cleared well before checkin for the poors. I've not seen an upgrade offer avail at checkin in a long while on my flights. These software optimizations move at the speed of software, so its been optimized by leaps even in the last 2 years. I have only seen avail offers now during and after booking, and only for the difference (i.e. without sticking you an extra fee for changing seatclasses).

Last edited:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
The profit optimizer supercomputer is working smoothly, and with the huge # of status travelers means all upgrades typically have cleared well before checkin for the poors. I've not seen an upgrade offer avail at checkin in a long while on my flights.

I've gotten 2 $150 first class upgrades on UAL between Denver and DC the last couple of years. But yes, usually on flights between major hubs everything is full before they can offer upgrades. Here on the east coast where there are multiple daily flights you're much more likely to be offered an upgrade - particularly at the less popular times.

(Side note : 1 of the 2 upgrades I mentioned above was even on a plane heading to Europe after DC, so they had the fancier first class area... it was an older one, so not nearly as nice as some I've seen in pictures and ads, but the seat went almost flat, I had my own "pod" kind of setup, etc. It was nice, and the only time I've ever had that kind of setup; Seemed worth the cost to treat myself.)

Last edited:

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
Huh? We’ve never experienced this and have never paid the esrly boarding fee. If you check everyone in online together early you get consecutive boarding positions which allows your party to board together and choose seats together. If you check in late and have a poor boarding position finding seats together could be a problem I’d guess.

This really depends on how early you get checked in, how many people paid the early boarding fee and how crowded the flight is. I am not a big Southwest fan because I like having an assigned seat and I get really aggravated when people are saving seats for people behind me in line.

I generally fly JetBlue which used to give you a free checked bag but that has gone away. I do fly JetBlue enough that I have status which is great because it comes with two checked bag, a carry on and a personal item. Last month when we went to Utah I had a backpack where the boots strapped on the outside and a second work backpack. My clothes got checked. The boots fit in the overhead no problem but I could also take the boots off the sides of the backpack and fit them under the seat and squeeze the backpack on top of them if needed.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Maybe I’ve been lucky but no SW seating issues so far. BTW-I’m really liking Southwest today. We just picked up round trip nonstop tickets from Baltimore to Denver for $192.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Huh? We’ve never experienced this and have never paid the early boarding fee. If you check everyone in online together early you get consecutive boarding positions which allows your party to board together and choose seats together. If you check in late and have a poor boarding position finding seats together could be a problem I’d guess.

Yes, you get consecutive boarding numbers. But even if you check as the first group, you will still have B numbers.
And all the aisle seats and window seats will be taken by the people who boarded before you.
Who boarded in front of you:
Business class, travelers with frequent flyer status, higher priced tickets, families with little kids, elderly, people who paid for early boarding.

Since the SW planes I have been on are always 3+3 configuration, this leaves only the middle seats to choose from. Yes, Sometimes there have been some seats in the back where 2 of us could sit together, but it’s the exception, not the rule.

Granted, we have almost always flown on fairly busy days and routes ( around Presidents Day to Denver) but I Imagine many others here might be doing the same.

It’s just something you need to be aware of and be willing to accept. If you have kids, and are used to other airlines, it could be a shock.

Slim

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m sure most of you already know this, but just a reminder:

If you fly Delta(we are almost locked in to Delta), the Gold Amex Card is probably worthwhile, $90/year, one free checked bag for each person in your party and priority boarding. And of course a signup bonus, sometimes quite good.
Lot cheaper and more reliable than business class (upgrades) or paying for a bag (2x$30/person).

Other airlines have them too, but they’re are not quite as guaranteed good deals , you have to do the math for yourself.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yes, you get consecutive boarding numbers. But even if you check as the first group, you will still have B numbers.
And all the aisle seats and window seats will be taken by the people who boarded before you.
Who boarded in front of you:
Business class, travelers with frequent flyer status, higher priced tickets, families with little kids, elderly, people who paid for early boarding.

Since the SW planes I have been on are always 3+3 configuration, this leaves only the middle seats to choose from. Yes, Sometimes there have been some seats in the back where 2 of us could sit together, but it’s the exception, not the rule.

Granted, we have almost always flown on fairly busy days and routes ( around Presidents Day to Denver) but I Imagine many others here might be doing the same.

It’s just something you need to be aware of and be willing to accept. If you have kids, and are used to other airlines, it could be a shock.

I’ve boarded with 4 travelers many times with a boarding position as low as B35-40 and have never had to sit in a non-aisle seat or been separated from our party. On our last flight to CA in Oct we had a mid B borading position and all 4 of us got aisle seats. I guess we are just lucky.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Delta doesn't serve either of my home airports. So I find the United card an equally compelling value. $90/year with one free checked bag and priority boarding. It is the priority boarding which is key to finding overhead space. Then there are the two passes to the United Club, worth $50 each. Total no brainer for me.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Delta doesn't serve either of my home airports. So I find the United card an equally compelling value. $90/year with one free checked bag and priority boarding. It is the priority boarding which is key to finding overhead space. Then there are the two passes to the United Club, worth $50 each. Total no brainer for me.

Does the boarding priority extend to the rest of your travel party as well?

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

United card.......only for you and 1 companion on your reservation. (1 free bag/priority boarding)

Delta Card.......everyone on your reservation. (1 free bag/priority boarding)

TheArchitect

Working to improve all the time
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have the Citibank American Airlines Platinum card. 1 free checked bag and preferred boarding for $99/yr. I board right after Priority and usually have a good pick of overhead bin space. It's worth the yearly fee and of course I get miles for purchases.

I just bought the Sportube Cabin Cruiser for my ski trip carry-on. It meets the 45" linear inches for American but technically it's 1" wider than allowed. It has a hard frame at the back so I can't compress it from 15" to 14" to comply. Hopefully I won't run into any cranky AA employees.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
United Explorer card also has $100 towards Global Entry or TSA Pre every 4years, which by itself pay for itself at least the first year, let alone the signup bonus miles.

Ironically, the chase united Club daypass which seems to have value are actually almost worthless. Many United Clubs will turn you away saying we can't accomodate daypasses at this time when you actually need to fly. And there's nothing really there compared to other higher end airport lounges

Whereas Group2 boarding, which seems useless, because who cares your seat is reserved, is actually the valuable benefit if you're competing for overhead..

Pat AKA mustski

It’s no Secret! It’s a Ranger!
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I have always been able to carry on my boot bag. However, I only put the boots in it so it compresses down. I pack the helmet and everything else in the suitcase.

TS
speedster

speedster

Putting on skis
Skier
I have trouble fitting my boot bag either in the overhead or under the seat when I fly smaller planes (EA175, CRJ200/700/900, etc). Unfortunately, other than DEN and SLC, most of my ski flights (RNO, YYC, JAC, BZN, ASE, GJT, GEG) are on these small planes. I have a transpack heated bag and a Dakine 50L boot bag. I've never had to gate check them, though. If it's an issue, I just pull my boots out of the bag and go all Tetris on the overhead.

Are you saying if they don't let you take the heated boot bag as a carry-on because of weight or size restrictions, you will carry the boots in your hand and fold up the boot bag, and put the boots naked in the overhead bin?

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Has nothing to do with electronics. It's not about them stopping you, but pure physical sizing. The overhead bins in those smaller jets there are much thinner and you cannot fit a typical boot bag orientation in there, but have to utilize the Tetris L +reverseL orientation to make a flat rectangle.
Your other option (if your body is small) is to put the boot stuff under the seat in front of you, as that space is foot and leg shaped. Then put helmet or smaller item above.

cosmoliu

Making fresh tracks
Skier

United card.......only for you and 1 companion on your reservation. (1 free bag/priority boarding)

Delta Card.......everyone on your reservation. (1 free bag/priority boarding)

I travel alone on United, so I never thought much about the above. ;)

United Explorer card also has $100 towards Global Entry or TSA Pre every 4years, which by itself pay for itself at least the first year, let alone the signup bonus miles.

Ironically, the chase united Club daypass which seems to have value are actually almost worthless. Many United Clubs will turn you away saying we can't accomodate daypasses at this time when you actually need to fly. And there's nothing really there compared to other higher end airport lounges

I have actually found the day passes quite useful. Last month I used my two pass allotment in DEN with two hour layovers each way to Jackson Hole. A couple of years ago I spent an extended time in the SFO club, which is about the nicest airport club I've been in.

Whereas Group2 boarding is actually the valuable benefit if you're competing for overhead..

^^^ My thoughts exactly!

Beartown

Chasing the dragon
Skier
Has nothing to do with electronics. It's not about them stopping you, but pure physical sizing. The overhead bins in those smaller jets there are much thinner and you cannot fit a typical boot bag orientation in there, but have to utilize the Tetris L +reverseL orientation to make a flat rectangle.
Your other option (if your body is small) is to put the boot stuff under the seat in front of you, as that space is foot and leg shaped. Then put helmet or smaller item above.

this

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier

We run into the same thing. The AA flights out of BVT are usually the small Bombadiers which requires us to check almost everything but a laptop bag. Not to mention boarding on the tarmac half the time.

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
hotgear classic - had one for many years. No issue carrying on....ever, On regular line equipment - goes in overhead, on pencil jets - gets the valet tag and dropped on cart. Boots (w/ one pair of socks), goggles, gloves, shell and a helmet. If other gear doesn't make it - still can go skiing, might have to buy pants and base layer - but always can use another base layer. You might be surprised that you can rent pants at most places, seriously - ask me how I know. :)

Sponsor

Staff online