• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
Get the Booster straps and decide for yourself. Try them both ways. It’s not like they’re expensive. If you don’t like them you can swap back the original power straps that came with your boots.

Myself, I have them under the shell, very snug, and barely have to buckle my boots. Done thusly, I find they keep my boots responsive, regardless of how much or how little I buckle.

There we go. In my case as I ski, I keep ratcheting down the top buckles more and more, including the OE power strap (non-elastic) seeking more pressure on the tongues. This is as they've packed in - still relatively 'new' < 30 ski days on them. But I'm getting near bottoming out the buckles without moving them and the booster strap seems like it was designed to solve this issue for me.

Muggydude

Booting up
Skier
^^^^^^^^^^^ I like the engineering, but what you're missing is the boot/liner fit component of the equation. What an elasticized strap, when put on the inside of the shell cuff, provides is a better, more responsive fit around the leg. The direct contact of the strap across the top of the liner ensures that there is no gap (which would reduce responsiveness). The Booster also permits you to tighten the strap more than you can usually get away with when using a normal Velcro strap. You did mention the progressive flex of the Booster, it's not linear, and this feature is what primarily drives sales.

How loose are your boots buckled that there is ever a gap between your leg and the liner? In a properly fitted boot there shouldn't be any, almost ever. I could see maybe how it could provide a better fit inside the cuff if the cuff is just way too big for your leg and you have it buckled loosely.

Although the tightness comment is valid, definitely a positive of the booster, but again it shouldn't really change whether it's inside or outside the cuff.

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Not many engineers on the board eh?

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

People may disagree with me, saying “I’ve skied bloth ways and it feels different” but I’d wager it’s almost entirely in your head and in a blind test with all the straps and buckles tightened the same amount you would not be able to tell which boot has the strap installed which way. The mechanics don’t lie.

To quote @mdf , "Not only no. Bbut HELL NO."

Come on people, make the case!

It all depends on you. :D
I already know what I would do. :cool:

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
There we go. In my case as I ski, I keep ratcheting down the top buckles more and more, including the OE power strap (non-elastic) seeking more pressure on the tongues. This is as they've packed in - still relatively 'new' < 30 ski days on them. But I'm getting near bottoming out the buckles without moving them and the booster strap seems like it was designed to solve this issue for me.

Just buy a set and see if you like them. I bought a set, used them on my boots with stock liners and liked them, but didn’t like them on my boots with BD liners so I removed them. They are a cheap experiment.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
How loose are your boots buckled that there is ever a gap between your leg and the liner? In a properly fitted boot there shouldn't be any, almost ever. I could see maybe how it could provide a better fit inside the cuff if the cuff is just way too big for your leg and you have it buckled loosely.

Although the tightness comment is valid, definitely a positive of the booster, but again it shouldn't really change whether it's inside or outside the cuff.

Yeahhhhh.... you're new here. I'm not taking the bait... :nono:

Muggydude

Booting up
Skier
But actually... when is there a gap? Lol. You’re welcome to ignore whatever facts you want to though (;

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Does it strike anyone as curious that the higher the performance category of the Booster, the closer the device comes to being inflexible.

one band , two bands, three bands more, Stiff is best , but that's a chore.

Decreed_It

I'd rather be skiing
Skier
OK I ordered a set. Will report back. Went world cup via Amazon Prime, local shop didn't carry, will try that first see what happens. Can reduce to 'expert' via the cut method. Even if it's a placebo effect and I ski "better" - fine - money well spent :). They make some serious claims on their website!

TS
C

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Does it strike anyone as curious that the higher the performance category of the Booster, the closer the device comes to being inflexible.

one band , two bands, three bands more, Stiff is best , but that's a chore.

I just assumed it’s because a high level/elite skier puts more strength and energy into flexing the boot and requires the corresponding stiffness to get immediate response from their boots and skis that their level of skiing requires.

Muleski

So much better than a pro
Inactive
150 posts on Boosters. Insane.

Epic Thread. There is far too much of this type of crap creeping into Pugski.

The people who have "a clue" and are informed are posting less, and less, and less......And when they do, the clueless decide to take them on and argue. It damn near ruined a lot of dialog at the old place.

"....At a higher level...."

Just saying......

Chef23

Getting on the lift
Skier
I know it is a long crazy thread but I appreciated the dialogue when I was buying some Booster straps. There is valuable information buried in here. It does seem a little crazy that it is 8 pages now.

Near Nyquist

At the edge of instability
Skier

The people who have "a clue" and are informed are posting less, and less, and less......And when they do, the clueless decide to take them on and argue. It damn near ruined a lot of dialog at the old place.

Just saying......
Maybe Time to just close it down
Cause it's purpose has been served ...

TS
C

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I know it is a long crazy thread but I appreciated the dialogue when I was buying some Booster straps. There is valuable information buried in here. It does seem a little crazy that it is 8 pages now.

Exactly and that’s why these threads stretch out some beyond answering/responding the original OP’s (in this case me) question or statement. New folks arrive to the thread, ask questions, learn something new, etc. That’s what makes this forum valuable imo. I get the frustration when folks argue with the experts here and I hope I don’t do that when I’m asking for their advice but on a forum its not always easy to distinguish the experts from the rest, especially for new comers. Just my 2 cents. Course there’s always the option to not read or respond to a thread that we are not interested in or is irritating us in any way. I personally use this approach often when need be.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled

Just saying......

Some would say that a lengthy thread that includes many participants a rousing success.

Certainly there is interest.

Fairness may be that if even one person is fed up, everyone else should give up.
Sensitivity and all that.

BoofHead

Getting on the lift
Skier
I love the slight elastic feel of Booster straps on the cuff. But those big metal buckles seem silly on an uber lightweight touring boot.

So over next couple weeks I'm testing an alternative: replacing the velcro straps on Hawx XTDs with a Voile strap. Slightly elastic, very lightweight, and in a pinch I'll have two extra 24" straps available.

This may be a terrible idea....but we shall see.
How did your experiment go?

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
Two thumbs up. At least for me. Lightweight, reliable.

The biggest downside is it doesn't work perfect for strapping boots together for carrying.

Yep, Booster straps are not carrying straps. I use EK USA boot carry straps and tuck the strap in my pocket.

Sponsor