• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

BGreen

Out on the slopes
Skier
Sometimes yes, sometimes no, I have and recommend both. Start with the expert, if you need more go with the World Cup. If you are putting it on a plug boot, the expert strap is most likely what you want. If you have a RS type boot try the World Cup. If you are putting them on a kids boot start with junior, which is a shortened intermediate strap.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
I use them - Expert version (sure). I haven't used anything else in a decade or so. Honestly, they had me at "you don't have to deal with snow packed into the velcro."

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have them, love them. Have broken the buckle twice and the owner has done no charge warranty repairs within 2 weeks.

You can turn a WC booster into an expert by cutting out one of the elastic straps, but you can't make the expert into a WC. Also the buckles on a WC are sturdier. It would have saved me shipping costs had I just gone with the WC.

Johnny V.

Half Fast Hobby Racer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Have had the Expert version on my last two pair of boots and wouldn't be without them. No problem with broken buckles.

Hope this doesn't turn into a huge discussion like we had on Epic a few years ago.................. One poster insisted on scientific data as to why he should use them and refused to believe the folks who told him "try, them, you'll probably like the result". You can lead a horse to water................ogsmile

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
I had a set on my Atomics, but when PJ made my new BootDoc foam liners he removed them and put my original Atomic straps back on. He suggested I spend a few days with the new beefier liners and see if I still need the booster strap.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
To me, booster straps highlight a deficiency in ski boot construction and performance.

If the basic boot flexed properly, how could an eleastic element at the upper cuff be a benefit?

Opponents of this view have offered "But world class skiers use the Booster Strap .So they must be good".

I've got a couple pairs of boots with the Booster straps, and a couple pairs without. I ski OK on any of them.
A bit less shin pressure and pain with the boosters and a loose upper buckle. ;)

TS
C

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
My understanding is the Advanced/Expert Booster has 2 straps and the World Cup version has 3, correct?

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
To me, booster straps highlight a deficiency in ski boot construction and performance.

If the basic boot flexed properly, how could an eleastic element at the upper cuff be a benefit?

Opponents of this view have offered "But world class skiers use the Booster Strap .So they must be good".

I've got a couple pairs of boots with the Booster straps, and a couple pairs without. I ski OK on any of them.
A bit less shin pressure and pain with the boosters and a loose upper buckle. ;)

Honestly I just like how easy it is to get the right tenison, and be able to let it off when needed.

Velcro straps are a pain. Every other strap I have tried is a pain, Boosters are simple and work.

I also think boots shouldnt flex, so I am in agreement, my booster is behind my top buckle but the top buckle is tight.

James

Out There
Instructor
Honestly I just like how easy it is to get the right tenison, and be able to let it off when needed.

Velcro straps are a pain. Every other strap I have tried is a pain, Boosters are simple and work.

I also think boots shouldnt flex, so I am in agreement, my booster is behind my top buckle but the top buckle is tight.
You would've loved the boot discussion last night at the fitter. Ex college racer possibly getting a non plug boot. My pov was just upsizing one shell size from the overly crammed racing boot would be a huge diff even if it's still a plug. Fitter: "No one not on the world cup needs a plug boot."

Last edited:

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

Agree. Of course ... are we going to start a list of all the deficiencies?

The amount boots cost, you'd think they'd all come with elastic straps built in, but nooooo.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
yeah most boot fitters are full of shit, even the "best" ones. I might be full of shit as well, but at least I know what works for me, and have implemented and seen it work on others.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I also think boots shouldnt flex

Hey Josh. I'm aware this is a popular position among some very good skiers here. How do you square this with the topic of "closing the ankle" in a parallel thread on back seat, yada yada? (Mods feel free to move.)

James

Out There
Instructor
Booster member since 2004.

Skied all day today with both upper buckles unbuckled and just the booster. I like Fischer's bale catch so they don't come completey loose, flop around and mangled when impaled on hard snow.

Is anyone highly particular how they tighten them? I just heard someone talking about opening the ankle- plantar flexing strongly with the boot buckled, before tightening the booster. That to put the plastic under tension.
He considered not doing that a waste.

James

Out There
Instructor
Hey Josh. I'm aware this is a popular position among some very good skiers here. How do you square this with the topic of "closing the ankle" in a parallel thread on back seat, yada yada? (Mods feel free to move.)
The ankle closing is a good question. I think you need some range of motion before you hit the wall of a concrete boot. McPhail says one should have 15 deg before resistance in order to activate the stretch reflex that helps balance, protects your knee etc. So locking the lower leg, (and foot/ ankle too) is not a good thing. In fact, likely quite bad. I suspect one acl I blew years ago in literally a split second was from an overly locked up shin/lower leg.
I suspect a lot of the problem of stiff boots is they're just not set up properly and/or the feet/ankle or lower leg is locked up some how. Even having a cuff too tall could be a serious problem. Couple that with not enough forward lean and they'll never be able to "get over" the front of the boot. Like being in a hole.

Mushy boots one can get away with a bad setup.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
yeah most boot fitters are full of shit, even the "best" ones. I might be full of shit as well, but at least I know what works for me, and have implemented and seen it work on others.
How many instructor jokes are there verses how many boot fitter jokes? ;) It is still amazing how many instructors come in not knowing that their own boots don't fit or that they need alignment.

Josh Matta

Skiing the powder
Pass Pulled
Lots obviously, but I when told my local boot fitter the alignment work I wanted done he called me a cripple. Customer service right there. The guy saying you don’t need plug boot is right but can plug boot make it easy for a lot of people you bet ya. Need and better are different things.

Sponsor