• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blackcrows Mirus Question

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
The more I look at that Octo Birdie, the more I like it.
No metal at all. The Mirus is already soft, and I've heard/read the Octo described as "a little more easy going than the Mirus Cor." I'm afraid its going to be like skiing on an overcooked spaghetti noodle.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
No metal at all. The Mirus is already soft, and I've heard/read the Octo described as "a little more easy going than the Mirus Cor." I'm afraid its going to be like skiing on an overcooked spaghetti noodle.

Well, it is not me who gonna ski it so who cares? :roflmao:

ELDoane

Gravity Fed, Beer Cooled
Skier
Exiled from VT, trying to ski off the Capitol Dome
@Tony Storaro have you encountered any patches of ice yet? If so I'm interested in your opinion. I had a ton of trouble on them, but don't know if it was the ski, the tune, or my technique.

I've found that you have to resist the urge to get overly forward and drive the shovels. Stay centered, get your big toe working over that shorty metal plate in the middle and stomp. It won't ginsu through the ice like a race ski, or even a rec carver like a V76, but you won't die.

My new ones have arrived. I can stop stealing the demos now when nobody's looking. Just need bindings...

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've found that you have to resist the urge to get overly forward and drive the shovels. Stay centered, get your big toe working over that shorty metal plate in the middle and stomp.
This sounds pretty spot on - and the opposite of what I was doing.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I've found that you have to resist the urge to get overly forward and drive the shovels. Stay centered, get your big toe working over that shorty metal plate in the middle and stomp. It won't ginsu through the ice like a race ski, or even a rec carver like a V76, but you won't die.

My new ones have arrived. I can stop stealing the demos now when nobody's looking. Just need bindings...

That’s spot on indeed. Or as I am saying to myself-Pretend you are skiing blades-tips and tails on these serve decoration purposes only.

BTW, in heavy, rutted, bumpy, steep snow these absolutely suck-they lack weight, tips are soft, wide and easily deflected, you get kicked around like nobody’s business.

scrubadub

Booting up
Skier
Count me in as one of the lemmings. So much fun on the groomers, but it's been interesting staying centered and always trying to stay on edge to keep them stable at speed. I kind of wish I'd gone longer but slowing down and enjoying (lots of) turns is part of the fun I suppose.

I have not figured out how to use them well off-piste (in the conditions as @Tony Storaro describes above). Light powder and dodging trees has also been more challenging than I expected.

IMG_2335.jpeg

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I have not figured out how to use them well off-piste (in the conditions as @Tony Storaro describes above).

I did. Figure it out I mean.

In such conditions Mirus Cors works best by staying in the rooftop box and out come these bad boys:

IMG_1060.jpeg

Or something similar.

BTW it was not a criticism of the Cors specifically. Any lightweight, longitudinally soft ski performs just as shitty in heavy bumped snow for me-Deacon VWerks being a prime example in my quiver.

Last edited:

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Guys who work in the adaptive program at my mountain ski these and love them for that application (maneuverability, fun skiing slowly with students). I'd love a pair, but when conditions are soft I like to go in the bumps and work on improvement there. Not sure the MC is the best for that. Maybe the Captis would be better.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It’s kind of a touring Line Blade?

Nah, it is a proper ski in their own right, not too light by any stretch. There are just skis that perform better in the two extremes of the spectrum-very hard and icy on one hand and very slushy, heavy and bumpy on the other.
90% of the time on groomers these are shit-eating grins and laughs inducing machines.. :ogbiggrin:

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January