• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Blackcrows Mirus Question

Magikarp

Putting on skis
Skier
They ski short-ish I hear but what do you hope to get out of the extra length?

Also, how much is your height fluctuating over the course of a season--mine stopped changing much at around age 17

I'm not sure about length because twin tips are kinda weird for me sizing wise in my experience. I have a pair of twin tips (170 cm, 87mm underfoot, old school mostly camber, minimal rocker) that I get along well with despite being almost center mounted. On the other hand, I have some wider twin tips (180cm+, 100+mm underfoot, rocker tip and tail) that ski alright but short for me that I can't imagine getting a shorter length for. So wondering how these fare.

Should I size them more like a narrower twin tip or a wider twin tip? My hunch is the 173cm MC would keep me happy.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm not sure about length because twin tips are kinda weird for me sizing wise in my experience. I have a pair of twin tips (170 cm, 87mm underfoot, old school mostly camber, minimal rocker) that I get along well with despite being almost center mounted. On the other hand, I have some wider twin tips (180cm+, 100+mm underfoot, rocker tip and tail) that ski alright but short for me that I can't imagine getting a shorter length for. So wondering how these fare.

Should I size them more like a narrower twin tip or a wider twin tip? My hunch is the 173cm MC would keep me happy.

They do ski short. I sized mine same as my Stormriders, Candides etc- 184

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
The Mirus Cor has almost no camber. But it does have rocker at the tip and tail. The effective edge is shorter than the listed length.

Yearning4POW

Booting up
Skier
Contact Black Crows Cust service, they have a chat on their website and ask for effective edge for the 173, 178, and 184. This should help you decide with confidence based on your comparison with your current skis.

Last edited:

coldski

Putting on skis
Skier
Contact Black Crows Cust service, they have a chat on their website and ask for effective edge for the 173, 178, and 184. This should help you decide with confidence based on your comparison with your current skis.
From SoothSki

Length
Price
2023 Black Crows mirus cor 168.3cm2023 Line Blade 169cm2024 Stöckli Laser SL 170cm
Check Price Here:
Nominal Length (cm)168.3169.0170.0
Length (cm)167.0168.2168.6
Running Length (cm)107.7 (65%)
Short
130.4 (78%)
Long
145.1 (86%)
Average

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
As shown above, you can see the running length(contact length of the ski when laying flat) and the sidecut length(effective edge length) on many current and past skis on Soothski.com

IMG_4203.png

Yearning4POW

Booting up
Skier
Because of the shape - tips much wider than the tails - it is easy to skid the skis around if you want. So you don’t have to carve (I don’t) Just push on the fronts of your boots and they turn. Also surprisingly good in crud and even bumps. Lots of reviews on these really fun skis
I did it! Ordered the 2022 Blade W in 167cm for $245 from Line directly. Was a good deal so pulled the trigger on it. Figured at this price it's worth trying. Thanks for the suggestion.

Still pining for the MCs hahaha :doh:...

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I did it! Ordered the 2022 Blade W in 167cm for $245 from Line directly. Was a good deal so pulled the trigger on it. Figured at this price it's worth trying. Thanks for the suggestion.

Still pining for the MCs hahaha :doh:...

See if you like the Blades first. The overall experience should not be too dissimilar I believe. If you like them you can always add the Kors to the quiver later.

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
As shown above, you can see the running length(contact length of the ski when laying flat) and the sidecut length(effective edge length) on many current and past skis on Soothski.com
How is the running length of the 173 almost one cm longer than the 178?

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
How is the running length of the 173 almost one cm longer than the 178?
Might be a slight difference between the pressing of those particular skis or the 178cm might actually have more rocker than the 173cm. I didn’t check other years of the 178cm to see if it changed at all. Not unusual to see a bit of difference in rocker length between 2 pairs of the same ski.

The sidecut length/effective edge will always be longer in the longer length of the same ski though.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
IMG_1055.jpeg

You guys see anything? Yeah me neither. Strange as there is supposed to be a run somewhere there…dang…what do we do?

Let’s try to improve the visibility somehow:

IMG_1054.jpeg

Ahhhh, much better.

So, 20-30cm of fresh snow, thank God, perfectly groomed soft snow in the morning but so as not to think life is only roses, honey and black coffee, the visibility was like 10 meters man, 15 if I am being generous.
I had 3 options in the box: FIS GS, CT 3.0 and the Cors. As the situation called for slow and ultra slow skiing, the choice was pretty obvious.

The other people on the slopes were either on slalom skis or fat-ish twin tips.

Later on it got skied out and piled, bad skiers on skinny skis started catching edges and falling, good skiers on skinny skis opened up the turn shape and enjoyed themselves and the cool kids on the fat twins declared it the best day ever in their entire, fruitful, meaningful, 15-16 years long lives.

Me? I changed nothing. I just channeled my inner Bob from Skiessentials and had an absolute blast.

FIS GS would have been suicidal, Candides 3.0 have way higher speed limit and would have been dangerous to the others, the orange beauties were just right.

Hey, these even have tails I discovered. Kinda timid, shy and not pushy at all but tails nonetheless. :roflmao:

Very nice, high five!:ogbiggrin:

P.S. I almost forgot: As soon as you can, try skiing these without poles. Fun is off the charts, i promise you.

Last edited:

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
@Tony Storaro have you encountered any patches of ice yet? If so I'm interested in your opinion. I had a ton of trouble on them, but don't know if it was the ski, the tune, or my technique.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
@Tony Storaro have you encountered any patches of ice yet? If so I'm interested in your opinion. I had a ton of trouble on them, but don't know if it was the ski, the tune, or my technique.

Yes. If you know where they are and expect them it is OK-you just tip more. If they come as a surprise they….well…surprise you.
This is not a hard and icy snow ski, for sure.

At best, I’d describe their grip on icy snow as “there is some”… :ogbiggrin:

BLiP

Out on the slopes
Skier
At best, I’d describe their grip on icy snow as “there is some”… :ogbiggrin:
Yeah that sounds about right. I ended up on my hip twice - both times coming over a roller and hitting ice on the underside. I was not pleased. But they were fun on soft snow. The problem in the Eastern US is that even on a soft spring day, there are still patches of ice that mysteriously appear.

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Yeah that sounds about right. I ended up on my hip twice - both times coming over a roller and hitting ice on the underside. I was not pleased. But they were fun on soft snow. The problem in the Eastern US is that even on a soft spring day, there are still patches of ice that mysteriously appear.

Trick is to know where the patches are and get ready for them. At higher edge angles they grip adequately enough to get you through the patch. There will still be lotsa skidding but it is doable.

Sponsor