• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best piece of kit

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
This is a place for you to shout out your best piece of kit. It could be something that goes on your body or something on your bike. Be specific. You can't just say "proper post", the correct answer would be "Rock Shox Reverb". We are talking shoes, helmets, best shorts, grips, whatever. I'm thinking of stuff like the Castelli Omloop shorts that someone mentioned last fall. I've never tried a pair, but when you look at how many different shorts are out there (there are probably 400 pairs listed on Competitive Cyclist), a very specific recommendation helps.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Fizik Vento Tacky handlebar tape. It's like Lizard Skins for tackiness but more durable. Got a bunch on sale for $19. Awesome.

How long does the Fizik tape last for you? I've been using the Lizard Skin tape for years, but it seems to lose something fairly quickly.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have these gloves I got for paddling that got pressed into biking service when one of my biking gloves went missing. These things have been holding up great, have just the right amount of padding and dry out quickly.

I think the brand is NRS. They cost around $15 or so. Have had them for 5 years been using for cycling and mtb for the last 2. I still use them for kayaking as well.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
How long does the Fizik tape last for you? I've been using the Lizard Skin tape for years, but it seems to lose something fairly quickly.
Yes my experience as well. I'd get like 5 rides and the Lizard Skin tape is fraying. I bought the Fizik on a flyer because it was half price. I'll get double the life of the Lizard Skins. The logo-ridden tape can be a bit busy..I don't mind but it may cause a seizure in some folks if you look at it too long.. :roflmao:Next time you redo try the Fizik, see if it's just my luck or if there's something there.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Air Zound - bike pump rechargeable air horn. LUDICROUSLY loud, sufficiently so to penetrate even the SUV with, no doubt, the sound system on, while the woman (in my particular case) carries on through the 4 way stop with her coffee in her hand. Emergency stop, coffee dropped (me - a big schadenfreude smile saved until I am at a safe distance). Woman looking round for the other 16 wheels ... Great piece of safety equipment.

zircon

Out on the slopes
Skier
Oh, and Specialized Grail gloves are magic.

I get irrationally annoyed by having bike manufacturer branded stuff since once bike is Specialized and the other is Trek, but I make an exception for these gloves (and also the S-works phenom saddle I have on the Trek)

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Yes my experience as well. I'd get like 5 rides and the Lizard Skin tape is fraying. I bought the Fizik on a flyer because it was half price. I'll get double the life of the Lizard Skins. The logo-ridden tape can be a bit busy..I don't mind but it may cause a seizure in some folks if you look at it too long.. :roflmao:Next time you redo try the Fizik, see if it's just my luck or if there's something there.

I don't notice that my Lizard Skins frays... it seems to compact (i.e., loses its cushiness) and loses its tackiness fairly quickly though.

I'll try the Fizik stuff you mention the next time I need to wrap though. I checked; it comes in the required red color, so it should work. :)

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Halo headband.

Seriously. Keeps the sweat out of my eyes, keeps my head from getting sun-burned through the helmet holes, etc.

Comes in various designs; I like the bandana version as you can control how snug it is.
Headbands are underrated..the 80's killed them..

I often use a Nike light weight running baseball cap for sweat capture, sun protection, and eye shade (riding, tennis, and yes, running).
https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/...hat-18nikmnkfthltcprncps/18nikmnkfthltcprncps

Yes, I look a little ridiculous with a baseball cap under my helmet, but it more useful and versatile for me.
I think the baseball cap killed the headband.

YMMV

jmeb

Enjoys skiing.
Skier
The majority of my rides (though not the majority of my miles) are for transportation not recreation. In that vein key pieces are:

- Wald 139 basket. with a good bungee grid net over top. It carries a work bag, or groceries, or wine, or almost anything.
- Ergon Grips -- esp the GC1 on bikes with rear-swept bars.
- MKS Lambda pedals. Long fore/aft so they work great with shoes without stiff soles. Not to wide to obstruct cornering. Good grip. Look decent. And are fully rebuildable.

Two favorite tools I've been using for several years:

- KMC MissingLink Tire Levers (although the ones I have are the company kmc bought the design from.)
- Crank M17 multitool. Simple, burly. I've probably been using it for a decade. Chain breaker works, all the allen heads you could need. I've built wheels with the spoke wrenches.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
------
Baseball caps? Headbands? WOT???? :nono:

CYCLING CAPS!

(FWIW, the Assos winter one makes me look like cosmonaut but kicks ass for cold backcountry XC)
Problem with all of those is that they have no sun protection, which is why I prefer this:

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
A couple of them come to mind:

Specialized Phenom Pro Elaston=super super comfy.

3T Superhiaia- best handlebar I have tried. Just phenomenally good.

Castelli Premio Bibshorts. Can do a century in these without feeling any discomfort.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Air Zound - bike pump rechargeable air horn. LUDICROUSLY loud, sufficiently so to penetrate even the SUV with, no doubt, the sound system on, while the woman (in my particular case) carries on through the 4 way stop with her coffee in her hand. Emergency stop, coffee dropped (me - a big schadenfreude smile saved until I am at a safe distance). Woman looking round for the other 16 wheels ... Great piece of safety equipment.

Brilliant

Sponsor