• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best piece of kit

Delicious

Glass Cranks
Skier
Every ride starts with these 2 items:
1. Defeet Aireater Socks
2. Pearl Izumi Transfer Light sleeveless baselayer

I really like, but obviously don't wear/use year-round:
1. Fenders
2. Castelli Nano-Flex tights

If I had to choose just ONE of these items? I couldn't live without fenders.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Anyone have a best adventure touring/adventure event GPS bike comp?

Non-negotiable must haves:
- altimeter display without ending ride
- ability to recharge or swap batteries without resetting ride
- solid buttons (no active screen only)
- 15hour or better internal battery life

coskigirl

Skiing the powder
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lake CX218 WIDE cycling shoes. I have very wide forefoot and big bunions. These shoes have been a life-saver after years of crunching my tootsies into too-narrow shoes.
I have a pair of the CX237 Wide shoes on order. I've been having excruciating foot pain toward the end of my longer rides and I realized my current cycling shoes are at least 5 years old and the support in them is just gone. I really hope these work for me.

Wannabeskibum

Out on the slopes
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Anyone have a best adventure touring/adventure event GPS bike comp?

Non-negotiable must haves:
- altimeter display without ending ride
- ability to recharge or swap batteries without resetting ride
- solid buttons (no active screen only)
- 15hour or better internal battery life
The Garmin 1030 has an external battery mount that doubles the capacity of the 1030. For what it is worth, the 1030 has excellent battery life. I have used it on a 150 mile with power meter, speed sensor, heart rate sensor, Varia rear radar, and navigation with the screen on and still had about 30% battery remaining. I didn’t even need to turn on the external battery that was mounted on the underside of the Garmin mount. Total time it was on including the various rest stops was just under 12 hours.

Rudi Riet

AKA songfta AKA randomduck - a USSS coach, as well
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Definitely seconding the Garmin Edge 1030 recommendation. The Edge 530 is also a fine choice and can use the same external battery or charge from a dynamo hub or external battery with a micro-USB plug while in use. I exclude the Edge 830 as it's primarily a touchscreen device.

Also worth consideration is the Wahoo ELEMNT Roam, tho it doesn't have the cool on-mount external battery pack option as the Garmins.

----

As to my favorite bits of kit, I always think of "kit" as clothing and such. I'll go with that, and then recommend bits and bats for the bike.

My favorite helmets these days are by Kask. Build quality is excellent, ventilation is great. And they simply work. No, there's no MIPS, though its efficacy at higher speed crashes is debatable (it also can yank hair out of your scalp under normal use). I own two Kask Protone units and love them.

I've found that the best bang-for-your-buck in bike shorts these days is from The Black Bibs, which is a division of Starlight apparel. The chamois in them is lovely: not too thick, well made, stays put. The build quality of the shorts is top notch as well. And they're affordable: the basic model is $40, the more deluxe model is $65, the winter model is $70. And they come in black or navy: simple colors that go with almost any jersey.

I love the fit and finish of jerseys from Velocio and ORNOT: nice race cut, the cuffs don't roll weirdly on them after washing, and fun color options. They are not cheap, but the build is worth it.

I also love the Rapha Brevet Gilét, a bright pink vest that's lightweight and super visible. I do a lot of riding pre-dawn and post-sunset, and this compact vest gives me amazing 360° visibility when the light is low. It's also fairly breathable, which is a concern living in humid country. Mine has stood up to 2+ years of abuse and is still essentially as good a new (and Rapha will repair or replace it if it wears prematurely).

I wear gloves, many different models. For short finger I'm usually wearing Specialized Grail or random Giro models. For long finger, 100 Percent or Pearl Izumi for lightweight, Craft or Specialized for winter weight. The latter are a lobster style for maximum warmth.

Socks? Love socks! I use many pair by Ridge Supply, a few from Heel Tread (good for the petrolheads in our midst, as all their socks are car themed), and light wool socks from Sock Guy and DeFeet. I'm moving more toward lightweight wool socks all year long these days due to their anti-funk properties.

As far as other headwear: Halo headbands are awesome and work well on this sweathog, and Rothera caps are the best cycling caps I've ever used. The headband is wide (read: no band pressure on your forehead), and the designs and materials they use are tons of fun. Nice little company, too.

For bits and bats on the bike:

I really love my Spurcycle bell. I have one on every bike I own. They're made in the U.S., are brass, and have a clear peal that can cut through most car stereo systems or noise cancelling headphones. And they tend to also mix well with fellow riders' sensibilities, unlike an air horn. I ride in urban settings every day, and this little bell has saved my bacon more than once.

The Lezyne Road Drive mini pump is a lifesaver when I have a flat. Sure, a CO2 cart is quicker, but it bleeds quickly and isn't very eco friendly (tho I do recycle the canisters). The Road Drive pump has a small hose that allows it to fit into weird valve setups, gets a tire up to pressure in about 80-90 strokes, and is built like a tank. The nozzle screws onto a Presta valve, so I've found that some brands of tube (Continental, I'm looking at you) tend to have the valve core back out when you unscrew the pump hose. Annoying, this. That said, all of my Conti tubes now have a bit of Loctite blue holding in the valve cores.

I love Ergon SR saddles: well made, lightweight, comfortable for my sit bones on really long rides. I also have a Brooks Cambium C-15 on my hardtail MTB/gravel bike and it's super comfy, though I've broken one of these (replaced under warranty) so maybe it's not my ultimate choice for longevity. Just keep an eye on the rubber on those, as it can split.

I'm a fan of Fizik Microtex tape. Can't stand the tacky tapes, but the faux leather microtex stuff is lovely.

Big fan of Arundel bottle cages, both the composite and carbon ones. They hold bottles more surely than any cages I've had since Specialized's long-since-discontinued heavy aluminum MTB cages.

Also love handlebar bags from Rickshaw Bags: classy look, simple attachment, hold a lot of stuff, very stable. And my under seat bags are all Speedsleev Ranger models these days: great design.

Last edited:

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Fizik Vento Tacky handlebar tape. It's like Lizard Skins for tackiness but more durable. Got a bunch on sale for $19. Awesome.
@scott43 got preference between "microtex" and "solocush".? Those two modifiers appear on a simple search. Seems like the road cycle handlebars need a rewrap soon-ish.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
My old Sidi shoes (old = 15+ years old) were finally getting a little too beat even for my tastes, so I got some new Lake CX238 "wide" shoes. It took a couple back-and-forth's to find the right size, but now my feet are finally happy again. The Lake's have -- relatively common these days -- boa-style fasteners. I figured it was a gimmick -- velcro straps have always worked -- but the boa-style fasteners are awesome.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@scott43 got preference between "microtex" and "solocush".? Those two modifiers appear on a simple search. Seems like the road cycle handlebars need a rewrap soon-ish.

So I'm not @scott43 but I have q bit of experience with Fizik tape. The microtex feels like leather. It's not the "sticky" grip, but it can be bought in three different weights, from very thin to thick and cushy. Solocush is their newer tape, and it comes in a tacky variant which is their version of Lizard Skins tape.

I can speak to the longevity of the microtex tape. It's really great, long lasting, can be washed and reused - all great.

Just my $0.02 from 10+ years of experience using the Fizik tape.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
but the boa-style fasteners are awesome.

Only when the shoe last matches one's foot.

If you look at the Strava log, I have zero miles this week. I'm icing and sleeping off massive ankle tendon inflammation from chronic tensioning up the pinky side of the foot - in a boa-laced shoe. :(

givethepigeye

Really, just Rob will do
Skier
Q36.5 Dottore L1 Bibs and L1 Jersey - pricey, but when you wear them you'll know why. Pretty partial to the Swiftwick 7's for socks.

Also, if you dont wear gloves (which I dont in the warm weather) the LizardSkins tape is as slippery as eel slime with sweat on it. At least in my experience.

Plai

Paul Lai
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
So I'm not @scott43 but I have q bit of experience with Fizik tape. The microtex feels like leather. It's not the "sticky" grip, but it can be bought in three different weights, from very thin to thick and cushy. Solocush is their newer tape, and it comes in a tacky variant which is their version of Lizard Skins tape.

I can speak to the longevity of the microtex tape. It's really great, long lasting, can be washed and reused - all great.

Just my $0.02 from 10+ years of experience using the Fizik tape.
Thanks for the info. I ordered the Solocush based on your reply, and installed it today. It's much thicker than I imagined from the description. Looking forward to trying it out this weekend.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I've found that the best bang-for-your-buck in bike shorts these days is from The Black Bibs, which is a division of Starlight apparel. The chamois in them is lovely: not too thick, well made, stays put. The build quality of the shorts is top notch as well. And they're affordable: the basic model is $40, the more deluxe model is $65, the winter model is $70. And they come in black or navy: simple colors that go with almost any jersey.

Thanks for this tip. I was super excited when I saw they had a short-inseam variant. Unfortunately it seems like my sizes are sold out in several models. :( As someone who is a M/L in Italian brands and a S/M in North American and Japanese brands, what size do you imagine I'd be in these?

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I really love my Spurcycle bell. I have one on every bike I own.

Same. These bells cannot be beat. Between my and my wife's bikes, we're at 8, with one new bell in the box, waiting for me to buy a new road bike (been without for two seasons).

They recently released a compact version that is priced a bit more reasonably, but you lose the Made In The USA part (Taiwan).

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Thanks for this tip. I was super excited when I saw they had a short-inseam variant. Unfortunately it seems like my sizes are sold out in several models. :( As someone who is a M/L in Italian brands and a S/M in North American and Japanese brands, what size do you imagine I'd be in these?

Top candidate for risque imagery of the day.

Rudi Riet

SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter

If you have an average torso, go M. If you have a long torso, go L.

martyg

Making fresh tracks
Industry Insider
Check out Cycling Fashion Victims on FB for posts on great kits, and hilarious commentary on not so great kits. The moderators are AU based. They don’t have the same level of decorum that we do - particular when it comes to the sex’s, and human anatomy. It can be entertaining.

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Oakley EVZero Photochromic glasses for road and MTB. Delicate but astoundingly light, comfortable, fog-resistant

Custom-fitted Shimano R310 road shoes from 2009. Bashed and battered - still such a great fit and performance

Garmin shoe-strap cadence sensor. I just think it is really cool when I think about the early days of cadence sensors and the fiddling around to get them reading correctly.