• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Best piece of kit

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Lake CX218 WIDE cycling shoes. I have very wide forefoot and big bunions. These shoes have been a life-saver after years of crunching my tootsies into too-narrow shoes.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Lake CX218 WIDE cycling shoes. I have very wide forefoot and big bunions. These shoes have been a life-saver after years of crunching my tootsies into too-narrow shoes.
You know I had Sidi Dominator Max shoes for a long time, same reason. They began to disintegrate so I got a pair of Shimano ME3 MTB wide shoes and they're good. So important to have foot comfort. I use them both on and off road.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
On the shoes front, I use Shimano sandals all the time, hot, cold, pouring with rain, whatever. Cold - layer on socks. Pouring with rain - use waterproof socks. Hot - use no socks. No fitting problem whatsoever. The only requirement is a sufficiently thick skin not to worry about looking a bit of a dork.

babanff

Out on the slopes
Industry Insider
Same here but Bont Riot+ have been my lifesavers. I have very wide (EE width) but also very short feet (women’s 6.5 / 37.5 in euro sizing) and Bont are one of the only ones making wide lasts in small sizes.

ZionPow

Making fresh tracks
Skier
ODI Rouge lock on grips, WTB Pure saddle and Shimano XT clipless pedals. These are the only add ones on my Norco Optic and the 3 touch points between me and the bike.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay. Not promising this will be my last post on this thread, but here are a couple from the clothes closet.

First up, Rapha 'cross long sleeve jersey. Perfect cut, cozy wool blend fabric that nevertheless wicks, durable, looks good, small details sorted (zipper sub pocket for key, for example).

Next, older Garneau flyweight gilet with full mesh back. Great on the MTB in hunting season. EASILY stuffs into jersey pocket. Weighs nothing, yet very effective when you need just a little wind protection. Great cut for me. Less-is-more item.

IMG_0235-01.jpeg
IMG_0234-01.jpeg
IMG_0232-01.jpeg
IMG_0233-01.jpeg

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, and Specialized Grail gloves are magic.

I abhor padded gloves. The Grail's minimal padding is the most I could ever stomach, and they served well in 6 to 11 hour endurance mtb races.

Now that I'm done with that silliness, I've been back to unpadded gloves for several seasons. I'll take my padding on the actual grips, so......

I'll nominate Wolftooth Mega Fat Paw silicone grips for my best kit choice. When you swap from thin lock-on grips to these, you'll swear that your suspension just got much better!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I have these gloves I got for paddling that got pressed into biking service when one of my biking gloves went missing. These things have been holding up great, have just the right amount of padding and dry out quickly.

I think the brand is NRS. They cost around $15 or so. Have had them for 5 years been using for cycling and mtb for the last 2. I still use them for kayaking as well.
And I'm using cycling gloves for kayaking!

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
And I'm using cycling gloves for kayaking!

I've been kayaking a handful of times... It never occurred to me to wear gloves until I got some blisters on my hands during a long kayak paddle while out with a friend. "Yeah, we can go a little farther" type of thing.

The next day I was scheduled to ride a hilly century (100 miles) with another friend. Between sore hands and tired legs (who knew you used your legs while paddling?) -- that wasn't the most energetic century I've ever ridden.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Last summer was a bit of a game changer in terms of the heat we had to deal with.

Soupy 100% humidity heat, the sort where your hands are liquid and dripping with unevaporated sweat. For hours.

So, yeh, I won't bore you with stories of re-greasing and re-antiseizing fasteners or with replacing cables, or stories of not being able to work the phone (the comp has rubber buttons for this exact reason).

Got rid of all the gloves, including the d3o jackhammer ones. Changed all the flat bar grips from a mix of ODI, Ritchey and Ergon to - Fabric 50 01s .

wooglin

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Road id and/or an actual pump. Preferably a frame pump, but any pump will do. Sorry about the lack of specificity. Zefal hp is my preference.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Last summer was a bit of a game changer in terms of the heat we had to deal with.

Soupy 100% humidity heat, the sort where your hands are liquid and dripping with unevaporated sweat. For hours.

So, yeh, I won't bore you with stories of re-greasing and re-antiseizing fasteners or with replacing cables, or stories of not being able to work the phone (the comp has rubber buttons for this exact reason).

Got rid of all the gloves, including the d3o jackhammer ones. Changed all the flat bar grips from a mix of ODI, Ritchey and Ergon to - Fabric 50 01s .

Those ridges look like they'd hurt on bare hands.

Rainbow Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Okay. Not promising this will be my last post on this thread, but here are a couple from the clothes closet.

First up, Rapha 'cross long sleeve jersey. Perfect cut, cozy wool blend fabric that nevertheless wicks, durable, looks good, small details sorted (zipper sub pocket for key, for example).

Next, older Garneau flyweight gilet with full mesh back. Great on the MTB in hunting season. EASILY stuffs into jersey pocket. Weighs nothing, yet very effective when you need just a little wind protection. Great cut for me. Less-is-more items.

Rapha cyclocross LS jerseys for the past several years look totally sweet.
Rapha Women's Classic Winter Jacket has been perfect for xc skiing after all the resorts shut down, love the oversized back pockets and multi-sport use.

However, I'm not sure I can fit back into several kits after SIP and too many trips to my frig... time to go to the frig again.

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
Anything with windproof front and vented back... Pants, jacket, vest, jersey, beanie..Let the heat out!!!

DoryBreaux

Not the Pixar Character
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Best or favorite?
My favorites are my Handup jerseys and gloves, and my Sensus Meatpaw grips. It's like adding an inch of travel.

Sponsor