• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

noncrazycanuck

Out on the slopes
Skier
kind of reminds me of the time I pickedup a hitchhiker years ago coming back from Whistler. He thought it would be a good idea to to light up a couple just as we got underway. I could have cared less what he smoked but he wasn't going to stink up my new car.

Asked him to get me a mint from the glove box first, When he opened it and saw the badge he suddenly changed his mind.
I think the next few hours drive was a bit uncomfortable for him

enough drift
I've shared chairs with a lot of "celebities" and too many more "celebrities in their own mind". to keep track of but lately some of my favorite chairlift conversations been with a few Whistler Kids Camp attendees that shared our chair

no filters, no attitude and often a way of looking at the hill that you don't anymore

Mapjoy

Booting up
Skier
I was riding a lift in France alone during a weekend break from a study abroad program in Prague. I had a paper trail map I couldn't figure out how to re-fold. I said to myself... "why isnt there a map mounted to the safety bar of the ski lift?" 15 years later I had my invention on all the lifts at most of the top resorts around the world.... So it was the best lift ride of my life! But the conversation was with myself :)

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I was riding a lift in France alone during a weekend break from a study abroad program in Prague. I had a paper trail map I couldn't figure out how to re-fold. I said to myself... "why isnt there a map mounted to the safety bar of the ski lift?" 15 years later I had my invention on all the lifts at most of the top resorts around the world.... So it was the best lift ride of my life! But the conversation was with myself :)
I enjoy your invention frequently. Welcome aboard!

Let me add.... Bar Down!

Jilly

Lead Cougar
Skier
Belleville, Ontario,/ Mont Tremblant, Quebec
A few years ago I got on the Gondola at Tremblant with some friends of @SkiBam 's . Then 2 other gentlemen joined us. SkiBam's friend recognized the one gentlemen. The discussion got to living in Montreal. What job etc. The gentlemen mentioned his "stint" at McGill. Then I really took at look a good look at him. It was David Johnson at that time current Governor General of Canada...the Queen's representative. The other guy a body guard.

I was taking the CSIA convention at Tremblant in December. We were doing a women's seminar. I looked at this ladies Tremblant's season pass and thought the name sounded familiar Lynda Thom. Why do I know that name? At lunch the course conductor made a joke about not "upsetting Lynda, as she might shoot us". Ah!! Olympian Lynda Thom...pistol shooting. She then brings out her medal from her jacket pocket. Carries it around at events like that if someone should ask.

RobSN

Out on the slopes
Skier
Ok, the ski lift was actually the lift (or ride) that I got to the ski area with a guy who worked for the Chilean insurance regulators when I was at a conference in Santiago in, I think, 2002. The next day was my birthday and it was the last day of skiing at Valle Nevado, and this guy Dieter offered to give me a lift up to the ski area. Conversation as follows: Dieter: "So, Rob, what kind of skier are you?" Me: "Oh I think I'm a reasonable intermediate - I can do all the blues and a fair few blacks. How about you Dieter?" Dieter: "I'm the Chilean Olympic Super-G skier" (I think it was super G but it was certainly Olympic). Me: "Oh" - and then we both burst out laughing. Dieter turned out to be a great guy and I told him on the way back after skiing (we did a few runs together during the day) that I was glad that I'd had the opportunity to give him a few style pointers ...

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Sometimes I have a knack for buddying-up with strangers on chairlifts. I guess the conversations have been good, but the runs shared after the initial ride were even better :)
Here are a few cool folks I've met over the years from a chairlift ride:

1. In March 2014 I befriended Bob from New Jersey on a chairlift ride at Hunter Mountain, NY and we skied together for about 90 minutes in the morning. Bob was 75 years young and a good, strong skier who’d been making tracks at Hunter since 1962. He had some rowdy tales from yesteryear and expressed especially fond memories of cofounder Izzy Slutsky. While younger brother Orville (1917-2013) kept Hunter’s books, Izzy (1914-2006) was the real hands-on manager, frequently seen skiing the hill while checking on lifts, conditions, and all aspects of mountain operations.
Bob on Jimmy Huega Express trail, Hunter Mtn:
1415586565_igjliotms.jpg

2. It was Jan 2013 at Sierra at Tahoe ski area on the run-out from Castle Creek Trees that my son and I met Gordon “The Kid” Goddard from nearby Placerville, CA. I was babbling on about what a cool glade we’d just skied and he said something to the effect, “if you like that, follow me.” On a subsequent chairlift ride Gordon introduced us to Ed Dillon, a Sierra at Tahoe mountain host, and then the fun really began! It was a powder day, yet they asked for nothing in return and for several hours led us to a bunch of great stashes like this one:
900x900px-LL-478e3077_50f186d2a891d.jpeg

3. It was also 2013 when I was at Sugar Bowl, CA and caught a ride on the Mt. Lincoln Express Quad with a cheery gentleman named Jan. I joked with Jan that we were both riding antiquated Volant skis, but I also found him very inspirational. He had immigrated to San Francisco from Czechoslovakia 50 years before. At age 77 he was still making long day trips to ski Sugar Bowl, a favorite of his because it’s one of the closest major resorts to the Bay area with good access via I80. Jan’s wife didn’t ski, but accompanied him on this day to paint landscapes near the base lodge and make sure he didn't fall asleep on the drive home.
Sugar Bowl Jan Volant.jpeg

4. In late April 2019 I was wearing a PugSki vest and @P-Ute picked me out of the crowd waiting to ride the Mineral Express chair at Snowbird, UT. We'd never met or communicated before, but he recognized me from PugSki.com We went on to have a bunch of good ski days together over the next three weeks. Nice guy and excellent skier.
paul-little-cloud-may-9-jpg.73708

5. In Feb 2019 On my first day ever at Crested Butte, CO I was skiing solo and immediately glommed onto a friendly local named Jerry. We skied about five early runs together. Jerry was quite a bit senior to me and skied beautifully. Jerry's been a Crested Butte homeowner for 24 years and through a few chairlift conversations I determined that he was generally pleased with the recent acquisition of the resort by Vail, hoping it will keep Crested Butte on solid financial footing. Jerry and Paradise Bowl at Crested Butte:
crested butte jerry.jpg

6. In Jan 2006 I made a weekend trip with two of my daughters to Timberline, WV. We were joined on the slopes one afternoon by @jimmy . Previously, I'd only known Jimmy in cyberspace by our mutual enjoyment of the DCSki website. I was a little leery of this shady character approaching my daughters and I, but he gave us a tour of the ski area and he turned out to be mostly normal :)

It's hard to believe I met this great friend 14 years ago!!!
1000x1000px-LL-12cb7cf2_DSCN1804.jpeg

Maybe later if I think of some more lift ride conversations/encounters I'll post a part two?

Last edited:
TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
he turned out to be mostly normal :)
Mostly normal. :roflmao:

@Jim Kenney I'd like to thank you for being a great travel corespondent but also for being that guy who talks on the chair lift.
You've brought many good people into our lives.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
Wow you two go Way Back!
The best one I've ever had was on the Pali lift with some guy named Terry. It led to my meeting you face to face.:beercheer:

Well I’m glad that happened and also I wonder why you didn’t run away. His helmet was ..... unique and could have influenced your decision to meet me in person.

I got stuck on the Andes Express about six chairs from the top with a pharmacist from Buenos Aires. We hung in the wind for about 40 minutes. She spoke Portuguese, Spanish and her English was a somewhat ogwink better than my Spanish. She had been on Holiday for a month and skied all over Chile, it was her last week before going back. This was fun because we managed to pass the time in conversation without really speaking the same language.

Jim Kenney

Travel Correspondent
Team Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
@Jim Kenney I'd like to thank you for being a great travel corespondent but also for being that guy who talks on the chair lift.
You've brought many good people into our lives.[/QUOTE]

Tricia, When it comes to facilitating ski friendships/connections, you and Phil are the undisputed king and queen!
bowing-smiley-7.gif

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Stop me if I've told this story before...

(not a "conversation" per se, but...)

Skiing Heavenly, back in the 80's. I was shuffling my way through the lift line, almost to the front when a ski patrolman and another guy skied up and cut the line in front of us. We fell in behind them, but I found myself sliding forward and no amount of wedge or pole plant was stopping me as I slowly slid over the back of the other guy's skis. He turned and gave me the stink eye while I mumbled "sorry..."

We boarded the lift and the other random single I was seated with looked at me and said "did you know that was John Denver in front of us?"

Hmm... I let loose with a "Hey! Wait in line like everyone else!!"

:daffy:

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I may need help with specifics, but a few years ago, @SkiNurse, @FairToMiddlin, and I loaded BME with a single rider. He was pretty ... no, very ... chatty, and started bragging about how good he was at guessing relationships among friends, or something like that. We looked at him quizzically and said, Um, ok, what do you mean? He proceeded to tell us what he thought, which was wrong (I don't even remember what he said), and then @FairToMiddlin looked at him and said, "Well, no, actually these are my two lesbian moms." Dude shut right up -- and stayed shut up the rest of the ride, thankfully.

Winks

AKA "Gary".
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Most interesting chairlift chats?

Probably the ones I have with @Tricia :roflmao:

Bill Miles

Old Man Groomer Zoomer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It wasn't on the lift, but in the liftline.

I was in the regular liftline at Challenger lift at Sun Valley. Next to me was a special lift line with John Kerry, then running for president, his entourage, Secret Service, etc.

He was on a snowboard, but I was too chicken to tell him my favorite snowbord joke (why is a snowboard like a vacuum cleanrer).

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
I may need help with specifics, but a few years ago, @SkiNurse, @FairToMiddlin, and I loaded BME with a single rider. He was pretty ... no, very ... chatty, and started bragging about how good he was at guessing relationships among friends, or something like that. We looked at him quizzically and said, Um, ok, what do you mean? He proceeded to tell us what he thought, which was wrong (I don't even remember what he said), and then @FairToMiddlin looked at him and said, "Well, no, actually these are my two lesbian moms." Dude shut right up -- and stayed shut up the rest of the ride, thankfully.
He thought that you were married to @FairToMiddlin and I was FTM's sister...:roflmao:

skibob

Skiing the powder
Skier
I don't know if I wrote about this one or not. But I was skiing with a friend who was born and raised in Turkey. He was on the lift behind me because we'd gone through the singles line. He gets off the lift and comes over to me laughing himself to tears. When he is finally able to talk he tells me that the two guys next to him were having this exceedingly vulgar and explicit conversation about an encounter one of them had had . . . in Turkish! He waited until they were nearly to the top to casually ask a question about the encounter in Turkish. By the time they got off the lift all 3 were laughing madly.

jimmy

Mixmaster
SkiTalk Supporter
I was a little leery of this shady character approaching my daughters and I, but he gave us a tour of the ski area and he turned out to be mostly normal :)

It's hard to believe I met this great friend 14 years ago!!!
One of the nicer things that have been said about me on the internet :D . I do love your family. Thank You Jim.

Sponsor

Staff online