Featured Best chairlift conversations you've experienced

Discussion in 'General Skiing' started by Tricia, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Tricia

Tricia The Velvet Hammer Admin Pugski Ski Tester

We have the thread about filling a quad with the three people you'd like to ride a chair with, but here is another twist.
    Have you ever been on a chairlift with people who've had a conversation that made you think....

"This is a conversation to be remembered."?

Mine:
    I was on a triple chair at Deer Valley with @Philpug and @alan Shoenberger (The Puppet).
    Phil asked Alan what his idea was of a modern ballet ski and the conversation between the two for the entire slow chair ride was unbelievably cool.
    I only regret not turning on my voice memos to record it.
    Suzy, Phil, Me and The Puppet

IMG_0069.JPG

2. Bill Miles

Bill Miles Getting off the lift Skier

Riding up the Christmas lift at Sun Valley with a couple from back East new to the mountain:

Me: "That's Seattle Ridge over there. Those runs are green, but they would be blue at most mountains."

Guy: "They would be black at Okemo."

LuliTheYounger, slowrider and Philpug like this.
  3. crgildart

crgildart Gravity Slave Skier

Working my way single through an unusually crowded lift line, double chair, I paired myself up with a guy my age in a ski school jacket. He had no poles and was skiing on some 140 cm beat up park skis, too short for them to be his park and pipe skis. I just assumed they were his noob lesson teaching skis. Anyway, as we shuffled up to the bullwheel I noticed something a bit off about the guy. Started the usual chit chat on the lift. Turns out he wasn't a regular instructor. He was a race team coach who had worked for the place over 20 years. He had a bad stroke the previous year and still had not regained much mobility in the left side of his body. The 140 cm park skis were all he felt comfortable trying to use. Really cool that he didn't give up and was doing everything he could to keep skiing and keep coaching the kids. I don't remember his name, but I look for him whenever I go back to that place..

4. Michael Kane

Michael Kane Kano Skier

Was really two converstions at Loveland. The first was when a friend and I were on a chair with a young lady (who ironically was from our neck of the woods here in the midwest) and she said we should work our way over to Ptarmigan lift and Lift 9. She said that 9 was closed as it was "breazy out, not really windy". Next ride up Ptarmigan, we were parctically blown sideways. Windest lift ride I have ever had. My buddy turned to me and said "Breezy my @$$."

5. jmeb

jmeb Stereotypical Front Range Weekend Warrior Skier

To be fair...that sounds like a Loveland local talking to a non-Loveland skier.

Breezy at Loveland is windy AF most places.

Drahtguy Kevin, Bad Bob and coskigirl like this.

6. Philpug

Philpug Enjoying being back on two skis. Admin Pugski Ski Tester

Some of the best (and worst) chair lift conversations I have had were on this chair...
    Single into the light.JPG

skibob, Brad J, Josh Matta and 18 others like this.
  7. Jacob

Jacob CerebralVortex Skier

I wouldn't necessarily label this one as the best, but the comic timing of it was great.

I was at DV on a chair with some other people who were having a good chin wag about how not having snowboarders around made them feel safer. Less than a minute later, a lady on the slope below us nearly smashed into a kid in front of her, yelling "look out, kid!" as she flailed her arms.

Apparently, I was the only one who saw the irony.

skibob, Jim McDonald, Ogg and 3 others like this.
  8. Kneale Brownson

Kneale Brownson Out on the slopes Instructor

I've only ridden a single chair twice, once at Aspen a really long time ago, and, slightly more recently, once at Stowe. In both cases I was encased in a BLANKET, and couldn't think of anything to talk to myself about except for reminders to be looking occasionally for the upper terminal.

SkiSpeed likes this.
  9. crgildart

crgildart Gravity Slave Skier

It's way better to have an in depth conversation with yourself on a fully loaded 6 pack..

Unpiste, mdf and Bad Bob like this.
  10. David

David Getting on the lift Skier

Every time I ride that chair I get into an argument...

11. coskigirl

coskigirl Making fresh tracks Skier

It is also entirely possible that the wind changed in the time it took to get there. Scariest lift ride of my life was on Chair 9 with the wind blowing me (alone on the chair) sideways.

Michael Kane likes this.
  12. pchewn

pchewn Out on the slopes Skier

On the chair at A-Basin in about 1973 or so. I'm trying to understate the extreme cold and wind:

Me: "It's a tad chilly"
    Him: "Nice to meet you Tad, I'm Bob."

My brothers and I would laugh about riding the chair with Tad Chilly whenever it was cold AF .....

13. slowrider

slowrider Out on the slopes Skier

Jumped on a chair with this fellow and about the second tower said howdy and we started talking. Looked down a his ski and asked him was doing 1 ski drills. He said oh no, I guess it fell off when I got on. I'm not sure if he was serious or yanking my chain.

14. mdf

mdf entering the Big Couloir Skier

@Gary Stolt and I were riding a triple at, I think, Brighton. We were feeling pretty good about ourselves because the "youngsters" skiing with us had already called it a day. On one ride, a young woman rode up with us. As Gary and I were planning where to ski next, basically the trees on the right or left of the lift line cut, she said incredulously, "you guys are going to ski that?". It doesn't take much to feed our old egos....

Gary Stolt likes this.
  15. UGASkiDawg

UGASkiDawg AKA David Pugski Ski Tester

The best one I've ever had was on the Pali lift with some guy named Terry. It led to my meeting you face to face.:beercheer:

Philpug and Tricia like this.
  16. Michael Kane

Michael Kane Kano Skier

Bingo

17. Analisa

Analisa Out on the slopes Skier

One day, I was skiing solo and realized part way up the lift ride that the guy two seats over was one of my Tinder matches.

Capture.PNG

18. Michael Kane

Michael Kane Kano Skier

Another was while riding a chair at WP with my daughter and a Texan obliterates himself right below us and as he lays there lets out a bellow. "SHOOT DANG, I DARN FELL DOWN."

Doug Briggs, Tricia and coskigirl like this.
  19. jmeb

jmeb Stereotypical Front Range Weekend Warrior Skier

Annnnddd?

coskigirl likes this.
  20. Analisa

Analisa Out on the slopes Skier

He could ski, he had a season pass, and he had 4WD (I got my Civic stuck in the snow that morning). I expected it to be a fun fling for the season, but after 3.5 years, a house, a van, and a dog, it might be a little more serious than that.

Coomba, S.H., skibob and 13 others like this.