• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Best one today was a box ride with a bunch regulars. We were discussing bending a M5 Mantra vs a Stockli SC when our 80 something 100 day clubber piped in saying He rememberers when he could bend a ski. Then he went on the he had heart surgery over the summer in July getting a couple of new valves and a bypass. Get up, come out and if you are lucky enough you might just able to bend a ski or not. I love the passion of the all my skiing friends.

maverick2

The 1st 50 yrs are practice - we score the 2nd 50.
Skier
3 or 4 years ago a March storm was passing thru and then appeared to set up shop at our ski area. My daughter was 11 at the time and had reached the stage where she was rocking anything/everything on the mountain (and hard to keep up with) so we decided it was the type of storm that warranted missing a couple days of school over and we trekked down there for 2 days of mid week skiing. The storm was laying snow down in buckets, but the weather was tough (high winds, cold temps, and tough visibility) so it was mainly the hard-core locals out there. We were hitting the singles line to get laps in before the snow got too chopped up, and on our third or fourth trip up the hill she got chaired up with three 20-something loud, obnoxious bro bras. Had I been paying better attention, I'd have hopped in front of her and swapped spots, but as it was, I ended up riding up with three 50-something gals on the chair right behind. I'm sitting there a little uncomfortable and hoping that the dudes would be somewhat sensitive to the youngster on board and that she wouldn't be miserable, and the first thing the gals next to me on my chair do is to start talking about the pain-in-the-ass dudes in front of us and their antics in the lift line. After a minute or two of that I told them that they weren't helping my peace of mind, as the short member on the left of that foursome in front of us was my pre-teen daughter. I got an "OH DEAR" and "Uh Oh" in response, and now there's 4 dedicated sets of eyes watching the chair in front of us and we've got a running commentary going guessing what the conversation in front of us is about. For the first quarter of the lift ride up, it's obvious that the dudes are in their own little world (but not being over-the-top loud or obnoxious) and completely ignoring the little girl on their left, and we're in agreement that this is probably a good thing. As the chair starts going up the steep pitch however, I saw one of my daughters poles start waving around and pointing like a music director's baton, and all three bro bras heads simultaneously swivel to the left to stare at my daughter (almost as if somebody hit a movie cue). The gal on my right says "huh, this might get interesting" as we watch my daughter jump into the middle of the dudes conversation and not let up. For the remainder of the ride up, my daughter's pole is swinging wildy around, one of the guys on her chair is following suit, and we're hearing laughter and bits of animated conversation (I found out later the bro bras weren't locals, and my daughter was telling them where to find good tree skiing, to be careful "in there" because it gets pretty steep and tight, not to drop into "that line" unless they can huck,...) The gal next to me says "I think your daughter is holding her own up there" and one of the other gals laughs out loud and said "hell, she's holding court..." When we got to the top and off-loaded, my daughter is standing there BS-ing with the 3 bro bras, and the 3 gals and I ski over to hear "... hey, you wanna ski a couple runs with us???" My daughter pondered it a minute, said something to the effect of "... better not -- gotta keep my Dad out of trouble..." The dudes hit her with high 5s and take off, the 3 gals with me start laughing uncontrollably, and my daughter looks at me like "what's with those weirdos?" I'm pretty much speechless at this point, shake my head, point down the hill and said "let's ski". Great day on the slopes. Didn't see the dudes again, but saw the gals a couple more times. Each time we saw them, the laughter would start up.

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At Killington winter of 1984. I really don't remember many chairlift conversations, but, this one sticks in my head. Wa riding the double that went up the canyon. Bottom to top with a mid-mountain exit ramp. I think this predates the gondola?

Me, 20-something. Him a local condo owner in his late 40's or early 50's. He asked me how I liked Killington and I told him I thought it was overhyped and over crowded. He got so upset over that he forgot to lift his poles at the mid-mountain ram and they both snapped right off. This made him even more upset and I think we just sat in silence to the top. Me snickering to myself. Him steaming I am sure.

If I were to have the conversation over again I doubt I would have told him how I really felt. It probably did not help my mood that when introduced to my brother in law's Killington instructor/asshole friend that morning his first words to me were if you want to ski better get some new boots. Huh? I had great boots.

And I am not saying that Killington instructors, or any instructors in general or in particular are assholes...just that guy. You can ask my brother in law about that.

The second conversation I remember was at Sugarbush in 2000. Riding up Castlerock with a 12 years old kid with no poles. We talked about his non use of poles. He lived with his single mom just a bit up the access road at the Bridges condos. We Skied Rumble and Castlerock together.

Eddie S

Putting on skis
Skier
A few years ago at Taos Ski Valley, for only my second or third time skiing, I rode the main life with a fellow from ski patrol. He was rather quiet, but we had a pleasant chat. After the usual droll pleasantries, which included me saying that this silly Texan loves snow and has long dreamed of visiting the Antarctic, he casually mentioned that he had been there. He didn't boast, and didn't give any more details. This being a mid-December,, mid-week day, few skiers were on the mountain. As luck would have it, I shared a chair with him again about an hour later. I asked him about his ski patrol work, his favorite runs, etc. Again, he was pleasant and friendly, but didn't bring attention to himself. I never saw him again, but while waiting for the chair the next time, the liftie asked if me if I'd enjoyed my time with Dave Hahn. I had no idea who he was talking about, but searched his name on Google that evening. My goodness, what an opportunity I missed, not knowing who he was! But perhaps it was just as well that I didn't. To this day I remain impressed with his modesty, considering how much he has to boast about, and how kind he was to a perfect stranger and beginner skier.

bubbamsu

Booting up
Skier
Over the years I have had some good conversations but the one that sticks out to me is a story from one of my friends.

A few years ago, they were waiting at the Quicksilver Gondola going from the Canyons side over to PC for lunch at Miners Camp. He said they were waiting for maybe 10-15 mins to get a ride with no strangers, one of them wanted to smoke a joint and another wanted to smoke a cigarette. He said after a while they knew it was not going to happen so they hopped in with one other guy. They quickly told him what they wanted to do and if he minded or not. The guy said sure but only a few conditions:

1- can I smoke with you, and if yes, then I will buy your lunches and a beer. They all said yes, because who would say no to those conditions. Then the guy said I have a few other things to ask. Which they all said yes to as well. If they said no, then it was off.

2- There are no pictures or autographs here or after we get out.
3- when we get out, don't make a big deal about anything, "I just want to ski", if so I am out and no lunch/beers.
4- I won't be staying for lunch either.

The guy takes off his helmet and neck up and it was Chevy Chase.

My friend said it was the best 10 minute gondola they ever had. The smoke two joints in the quick ride down and after they got out Chevy handed them a couple hundred dollars and thank them and skied down with no one knowing who he was. They said he was super chill and not pretentious at all, he said he just wanted to ski without being noticed.