• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Black Dog

Its all downhill from here..
Skier
Heading up to Banff-Lake Louise area in a few weeks. Anybody on the ground up there can give a report to actually how much snow is up there now? I know some more is predicted this week. Trying to figure out what skis to bring.
Info is hard to come by of what is actually on the hill now. Should get better as things open up for the season next weekend.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Trying to figure out what skis to bring.

It is early season, Lake Louise and Sunshine Village are located in the Rocky Mountains and they are called "The Rockies" for good reason. Bring your rock skis. In all likelihood, not all runs will be open.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
We got alot of snow mid september (crazy early) this year with unseasonably cold temps...mtns got more...some melted but much stayed higher up. Louise looks a bit grassy front side ...backside looks better. Sunshine has a better base right now from the looks of things. Im heading up for opening weekend so can provide an update....

Monster

Monstrous for some time now. . .
Skier
Heading up to Banff-Lake Louise area in a few weeks. Anybody on the ground up there can give a report to actually how much snow is up there now? I know some more is predicted this week. Trying to figure out what skis to bring.
Info is hard to come by of what is actually on the hill now. Should get better as things open up for the season next weekend.

Meh - mad jealous:

https://www.skibanff.com/conditions

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
We got alot of snow mid september (crazy early) this year with unseasonably cold temps...mtns got more...some melted but much stayed higher up. Louise looks a bit grassy front side ...backside looks better. Sunshine has a better base right now from the looks of things. Im heading up for opening weekend so can provide an update....
:wave:Hi Vinny, from me and Jim

Jenny

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Hello to you and Jim too! I'll think of you guys on Saturday up on the hill. Hope you guys get back up here for another visit!
Us, too. Not planning on this year, but you just never know. After all, I missed out on the last visit.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
The backcountry has been fun! There is snow up high (above 2100 meters). I've made it out 6 days so far, and it has been pretty good skiing.

Nakiska (weekends), Sunshine and Louise will open on Friday....likely on limited terrain.

There doesn't seem to be much at Louise, but they'll open terrain with suspect coverage. Sunshine has done okay with snow in the last week or so.

As mentioned above, bring rock skis. November skiing can be really fun if you aren't too worried about your equipment. I expect we are a dump or two away from interesting terrain at lake louise

I am hoping to get out 4 times this weekend: Louise, Nakiska, and Roger's Pass and can update.

Poolskier Vinny

Red Bull Athlete Wannabe
Skier
Had friends ski LL on Sat. but since they only had 3 runs open we opted to ski SS on Sunday. Great sunny weather. Decent crowds on Strawberry chair but was able to rotate around the other 3 chairs to avoid big wait times. New lifties for the season make for slower loads/mistakes/empty seats on chairs etc but they'll get better...which will also lessen wait times.

Coverage for opening was fine, but getting skied off due to 3 days of traffic. As they open more terrain/chairs that will help out conditions on these low mountain areas/runs. Definitely bare spots/rocks/shrubs as expected for opening/early season. I expect that the high chairs will have even better coverage when they open soon. (excepting those places that get windscoured)

We've had some really great days at LL and SS early season (Nov/early Dec) in the past....so as long as you are ok with getting a minor scrape or two on your bases you'll likely have a great time. Keep an eye on the webcams/settled base numbers/chair/run openings will give you an idea of how things are progressing as well.

Enjoy your trip!

albertanskigirl

aka Sabrina
Skier
Angel and Divide are opening this week, so should be better at Sunshine, with snow in the forecast. Sunshine is pretty standard for this early in the season. I'm planning on avoiding Louise until, at least, December.

We'll likely hit up Sunshine in the next couple of weeks, and do some cross country skiing until mid-December.

Have a good trip!

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
It looks like Sunshine had the best opening, it's not on my pass, so I won't be visiting until more interesting terrain opens. Still, it looks like a pretty decent start.

The same cannot be said about Lake Louise. The Banff region has been hit by several significant storms, but they all seem to have missed the Lake Louise ski resort. Being in the rainshadow of those continental divide peaks can be rough...nice to look at though. The snow depth is currently sitting at 17cm in the back bowls. The backside skis best with a base of 180cm, so we are a long way off. I expect bowl openings at 45cm, but that is a couple of storms away...and even then, things will be marginal.

I skied Louise on Friday for opening day. Just one real run open (the three are just upper, middle and lower parts of the same line, you can't choose a different route). Skiing was surprisingly good, with no true ice, and mostly easy to edge hardpack. The trail was quiet over lunch and after 2:30, and it was fun when you had room to move. Obviously less fun during busier times. Louise is currently concentrating most of their snow-making efforts on the World Cup downhill course. The races have been given the green light, so hopefully, they can start making snow elsewhere. There is a bit of snow in the forecast for tomorrow and Thursday, and the temps remain below 0 for the foreseeable future. So I'm cautiously optimistic that we have a normal early season. It wasn't an all-time opening though, that's for sure!

I skied Nakiska on Sunday. They are currently uploading/downloading to mid-mountain on the Olympic chair. For some reason, nobody had the foresight to put down carpet at the base, so skiers load on foot and carry their skis. Iti's awkward, and unnecessary, in my opinion. Skiing off the gold chair was fine. Things are open from Mapmaker, left. Mapmaker has been groomed and has loads of man-made snow. It is used by racing teams for training during the week. Unfortunately, it's pretty icy and VERY busy. The natural runs are in much better shape, and you actually have room to move. I spent the day lapping the glades, and thought the conditions were fine. The pitch is pretty mellow, but lots of little side-hits, just playful skiing. Coverage is adequate. Nakiska isn't a rocky hill, but stumps and grass were showing in spots...but not enough of a problem to ruin the day. Nakiska is a better choice than Louise at the moment.

I skied in the backcountry off Highway 93 north (north of Lake Louise-on the way to Jasper) on Saturday and Monday (yesterday). We found 10-20cm of fresh over a supportive base. The ski out below treeline was a bit sporty, but the alpine was excellent. We didn't hit any rocks, and had an amazing time in the sun. The snowpack was over a meter at elevation. If you have the gear, the backcountry is very good at right now.

For next weekend, I plan on doing a half day at Nakiska on Saturday (while Liz writes an exam), and touring on Sunday. I hope for more snow.

If you are coming soon, it looks like Sunshine is your best bet for fun....unless you want to tour, or watch the races at Louise.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
So...I don't know if last week's snow report was wrong, or if it was just magic, but the snow depth in the Back Bowls of Lake Louise has jumped to 57cm. It's snowing today, and we should get a bunch tomorrow.
Louise is planning on opening the upper mountain tomorrow. That'll teach me to be negative.

...and there was much rejoicing!

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
was looking at the week of december 8. where is the better place to lodge, Banff or LL? I would be relying on the buses to get o/from the resorts. tx.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
If you are looking for a variety of restaurants and some nightlife, Banff is better. There are shuttles to Sunshine and Lake Louise ski resorts from Banff. I am not sure if there is a shuttle from the village of Lake Louise to Sunshine.

The Upper Village at Lake Louise (Lakeshore) is beautiful, but accomodations, especially at the Chateau are pricey...and food/drink at the Chateau is expensive. If you are wiling to spend the $$$, the Chateau would be a nice experience.

The lower Village is less charming. Still nice scenery, but close to the highway and train tracks. Walking the streets isn't that interesting. The Post Hotel has a very good restaurant though. The Lake Louise Hostel is nice, for a hostel.

Banff is a fun town. Variety of lodging, restaurants, and bars.

Tytlynz64

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If you are looking for a variety of restaurants and some nightlife, Banff is better. There are shuttles to Sunshine and Lake Louise ski resorts from Banff. I am not sure if there is a shuttle from the village of Lake Louise to Sunshine.

The Upper Village at Lake Louise (Lakeshore) is beautiful, but accomodations, especially at the Chateau are pricey...and food/drink at the Chateau is expensive. If you are wiling to spend the $$$, the Chateau would be a nice experience.

The lower Village is less charming. Still nice scenery, but close to the highway and train tracks. Walking the streets isn't that interesting. The Post Hotel has a very good restaurant though. The Lake Louise Hostel is nice, for a hostel.

Banff is a fun town. Variety of lodging, restaurants, and bars.
Thanks. Found some deals for @870 USD with airfare to Banff. Shuttle from airport extra. The one place has a cave like thermal spa, do not know if it is natural or not. Canadian rockies are on my list but would love to have true Canadian Rockies snow. I have the IKON pass so I would be limited to the Big3.

Mike Rogers

Out on the slopes
Skier
Thanks. Found some deals for @870 USD with airfare to Banff. Shuttle from airport extra. The one place has a cave like thermal spa, do not know if it is natural or not. Canadian rockies are on my list but would love to have true Canadian Rockies snow. I have the IKON pass so I would be limited to the Big3.
What's the place?

Sponsor

Staff online