• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Nobody wore helmets. Are those mainly for tree skiing?
Honestly, my helmet has been used more for the surprise "bar down". It's also saved me from a few pokes in the head from small branches I've not seen. The one crash I had last season was on a green run, barely moving along. It was a beautiful day and I forgot my helmet. Wife said go get one, either buy or rent. But I know better. SLAM! Rung my bell good. Probably would have still rung my bell but my ear and side of my face probably wouldn't have been bleeding. On cold days I just use a light neck gaiter and pull it up over my head under the helmet. If you have access to Costco they may still have Bolle brand helmets for fairly cheap. Better than nothing and way better than slipping on someone else's sweaty rental.

Last edited:

teejaywhy

Retired Eccentric
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Returned to skiing two seasons ago myself after a many year hiatus similar to yours.

When re-gearing, the helmet was something new for me, but I really like it because it keeps my head and ears warm!

kayco53

Getting on the lift
Skier
I like my helmet because when you crash it is less of a yard sale. Goggles clip on it stays on your head. I own mine used a liner once in 5yrs for the cold. Do wonder about rental helmets so. Not quality just sharing a helmet the thing.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
My 2₵, although with inflation it's really 8₵...

Jackets:
Lots of good used stuff out there if you want to save $$. Ski swaps in the fall, Ebay anytime. I'd buy (almost) anything well insulated from Descente, Spyder, Phenix, Marmot. What I've seen from Obermeyer, Fly Low, Columbia, seemed less warm. Wind resistance can be pivotal, so that can make it difficult to assess on line if you haven't seen the jacket in person. Zippers have to be lived with daily, be wary of the annoying stiff ones. Some people go the shell route. A down puffer jacket as a layer for sub zero is a wonderful thing.

Mittens/Gloves
I personally have no use for the 3 finger glove. I'm wearing it because its freaking cold out, and so it's big and puffy, and so there is minimal dexterity anyway. It isn't warmer in my view, but it does freeze the index finger quite nicely. Gloves when not too cold (varies by metabolism and brand of glove) and mittens when colder than that. Not knitted mittens, and not Dick's Sporting Goods sale mittens. Marmot Expedition mittens, Black Diamond Mercury, or Free the Powder (Best Deal) will keep you warm.

Electric Glove Liners.
Effective. The battery is in the gauntlet, so it's a little bulky. Fit issues are aft of the wrist, the gloves themselves are fine.

Foot warmers
Why warm the toes when you can warm the whole insole?

View attachment 91354
These take a little practice to put in without wrinkling/clumping, but they are stiffened enough to go in. Highly recommended. You do need to pump some air in once or twice during the day, just loosen your buckles and lift your heel up a few times. You're going to have a lousy rental fit anyway, might as well be warm. Seriously, they fit in my race fit tight boots. They can fit in yours.

Socks.
I use expensive merino wool socks, and regular thin stretchy synthetic street socks high enough to come up my calf, above the boot shell. I ski in the synthetics in anything above 10 degrees. #1 for me is smooth with no wrinkles or puckers and thin for a precise contact with the boot. I suppose the wool socks are slightly warmer. Slightly. I'd stop worrying too much about brand of socks and go for fit for reasonable $$. If you get those footbeds, you won't need to worry about sock brand. Hot tubs for your feet!
View attachment 91357
I understand these socks make you a better skier, keep you warmer, and lower your cholesterol.

Not mentioned:
Use a full head liner under your helmet. Tons of designs out there. Use a neck gaitor. (Putting anything under your goggles can created a pathway for moisture and fog/ice up your lenses.) Cover your wrists - blood needs to stay warm on the way to your fingers. Some jackets have nice over-the-thumb wrist cuffs, and most serious gloves/mittens have long gauntlets.

Thx for all your suggestions!
I just pulled the trigger on what I thought was a killer deal.
Now I'm starting to second guess myself. Can you tell if this jacket is insulated or just a liner?

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Now I'm starting to second guess myself. Can you tell if this jacket is insulated or just a liner?
From your link, "Breathable, Hood, Insulated, Moisture Wicking, Waterproof, Windproof, Zipped Pockets"
The low price would scare me off, too good to be true and all than. Maybe cheap made in china knock-off, maybe identical to real one, only an extra production run. Maybe stolen. It's your's now. Good luck.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
My 2₵, although with inflation it's really 8₵...

Jackets:
Lots of good used stuff out there if you want to save $$. Ski swaps in the fall, Ebay anytime. I'd buy (almost) anything well insulated from Descente, Spyder, Phenix, Marmot. What I've seen from Obermeyer, Fly Low, Columbia, seemed less warm. Wind resistance can be pivotal, so that can make it difficult to assess on line if you haven't seen the jacket in person. Zippers have to be lived with daily, be wary of the annoying stiff ones. Some people go the shell route. A down puffer jacket as a layer for sub zero is a wonderful thing.

Mittens/Gloves
I personally have no use for the 3 finger glove. I'm wearing it because its freaking cold out, and so it's big and puffy, and so there is minimal dexterity anyway. It isn't warmer in my view, but it does freeze the index finger quite nicely. Gloves when not too cold (varies by metabolism and brand of glove) and mittens when colder than that. Not knitted mittens, and not Dick's Sporting Goods sale mittens. Marmot Expedition mittens, Black Diamond Mercury, or Free the Powder (Best Deal) will keep you warm.

Electric Glove Liners.
Effective. The battery is in the gauntlet, so it's a little bulky. Fit issues are aft of the wrist, the gloves themselves are fine.

Foot warmers
Why warm the toes when you can warm the whole insole?

View attachment 91354
These take a little practice to put in without wrinkling/clumping, but they are stiffened enough to go in. Highly recommended. You do need to pump some air in once or twice during the day, just loosen your buckles and lift your heel up a few times. You're going to have a lousy rental fit anyway, might as well be warm. Seriously, they fit in my race fit tight boots. They can fit in yours.

Socks.
I use expensive merino wool socks, and regular thin stretchy synthetic street socks high enough to come up my calf, above the boot shell. I ski in the synthetics in anything above 10 degrees. #1 for me is smooth with no wrinkles or puckers and thin for a precise contact with the boot. I suppose the wool socks are slightly warmer. Slightly. I'd stop worrying too much about brand of socks and go for fit for reasonable $$. If you get those footbeds, you won't need to worry about sock brand. Hot tubs for your feet!
View attachment 91357
I understand these socks make you a better skier, keep you warmer, and lower your cholesterol.

Not mentioned:
Use a full head liner under your helmet. Tons of designs out there. Use a neck gaitor. (Putting anything under your goggles can created a pathway for moisture and fog/ice up your lenses.) Cover your wrists - blood needs to stay warm on the way to your fingers. Some jackets have nice over-the-thumb wrist cuffs, and most serious gloves/mittens have long gauntlets.
Due to recent health problems, I had to upgrade my mittens. I would add Outdoor Research Altitude mittens to the list of good ones. Removable Goretex outer shell, warm inner liner with pocket for chemical hot pack. With mittens, you can curl your fingers and thumb up together in the finger pocket to keep the warm on the lift.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor

I think you just bought a vintage jacket from the 1980s. Yes, it is insulated. But... it might need waterproofing. Here's why I think it's got some age on it. It has a tight elastic waist, wide sleeves whose bottom seams connect directly to the waist, and multiple colors that are sprinkled about. It is well made, but over time the water resistance may have dissipated. There are threads on this forum on how to re-water-proof jackets. If you find that droplets of water from the tap don't bead up on the surface, do some waterproofing. You can start a thread on how to do that if you need to.
1580308368315.png

Last edited:

mister moose

Instigator
Skier
I think you just bought a vintage jacket from the 1980s. Yes, it is insulated. But... it might need waterproofing. Here's why I think it's got some age on it. It has a tight elastic waist, wide sleeves whose bottom seams connect directly to the waist, and multiple colors that are sprinkled about.
I agree it has a vintage look, but I'd place it in the early 90's, maybe late 80s. Looking at wear spots like cuffs and corners, everything is extremely crisp. If not new, it is barely used. Doubt its a knock off. Too old a cut and features (did you see the pass pocket?) to sell in quantity. It likely is well insulated, but it is waist length, so you'll get a little more wind exposure to your upper hips than with a longer cut. The snap flap over zipper side pockets look annoying, but that's minor. The darker blue fabric looks less than new to me just from the pucker/wrinkles look of the fabric. I suspect it's been washed.

Waterproofing may or may not be an issue. You really don't need it for skiing in a snowstorm or even through snowmaking guns. You do need it for freezing rain and rain, but not many low days per year skiers go out in the rain. And if you do, your sopping gloves will bring you inside before the jacket does.

As a way to get out on the slopes for cheap, I think its a good score. A new jacket of similar quality and features is $5-700 minimum, less on spring sale. Just don't expect to see any other jackets that match on the hill.

Last edited:
TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
I usually take ad descriptions in ebay ads with a grain of salt. Pics are worth a thousand words and some sellers who just turn around large quantities don't really know what they have. I couldn't help but notice most of the current offerings from Descente are mono tone and not only boring to look at but ridiculously expensive. Who pays $1000 for a ski jacket? Not me, that's for sure. I really like the colors. If it reminds people of the 80's or 90's, that's fine with me. It will match my straight skis from the same era and I'll be easy to find that's for sure!

I'll give it a good inspection when it arrives and if it's a knock-off, I'll be sending it right back. Like prev mentioned, knock-off are usually trying to replicate current designs so I'm not too worried.
I don't ski in the rain, however I have gotten pretty wet before spring skiing so I'll test the water proofing and go from there.
Thx for the feedback!

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
if you are teaching with a beginner you may likely need frequent access to your hands. for your mittens, be sure the mittens you get have wrist straps so you can just slide them off, help with whatever, then more easily get your mittens back on. You can also buy hestra handcuff straps to add to any glove that doesnt have it.
Yes the typical ski helmet will do a great job to keep your head warm with its 1in of protective foa. Most also have a slider to open vents when they are too hot.

For your core body, add layers, the typical look is a puffy (down) vest or jacket as the midlayer for insulation.
Most jackets have inner pockets so if it is really cold you can use the chemical heat packets inside there too to warm your core. If you end up skiing a lot and need core heat, to reduce single use waste, there are rechargeable battery handwarmers about the size of a deck of cards for pockets you could buy.

Be careful about overstuffing your boot with extra sock for warmth. this may cut off circulation and makes things worse not better. The sock isn't really the main insulation mechanism for ski boots.
With rental boots a med thick should be fine, if you end up getting buying and fitting your own boots, an ultrathin or thin sock will be whst you should use.
All and all if it is too cold, just head into the lodge for a break and get fully warmed up.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Still haven't decided which gloves to get. Looking hard at the OR Highcamp 3-finger gloves since I'm not a big fan of mittens but fingers do get cold in gloves.

I placed in the cart a set of Coldpuf II platinum base layers. They seem to be a good balance between warmth and price. Anyone have experience with these?

Smartwool Phd medium socks arrived. I still have a set of super thin silk socks. Guess I'll take them but hopefully the Smartwools will be enough by themselves.

Still haven't found my old ski shirts. I had a few really nice ones (from the 80's).

Waiting for my vintage(?) ski jacket to arrive so I can an idea of how much mid layer I think I'll need. I used to just wear a thermal shirt, a nice ski shirt and a nice goose down jacket. That kept me pretty warm but then again I was pretty active. This next trip I'll be on the bunny hill most of the time teaching my daughter to ski for the first time so activity will be considerably less I imagine. Suspect I'll get in a couple of runs in while daughter is in the half-day ski school. May need the puffy vest, not sure yet.

Also received my North Face snow boots for hoof'in around and night-time tubing. They got good reviews and seem pretty comfy. Won't really know how warm they are till I get there but suspect with the Smartwool socks, they will be fine.

Found a couple sets of Smith googles (yellow and clear) in my tub of vintage gear. They are ~12 yrs old now and seem to be OK, but if I go with a helmet I may just use a shield. I've been wearing full face motorcycle helmets my whole life but the whole ski helmet thing is new to me.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
Still haven't decided which gloves to get. Looking hard at the OR Highcamp 3-finger gloves since I'm not a big fan of mittens but fingers do get cold in gloves.

The OR Highcamp gloves are nice. But you need to decide if you prefer an over mitt or undermitt. Another option that has a fair amount of gloves on sale is Dakine & Pow. Both are quality options and if you search many are available for 25%+ off.

I placed in the cart a set of Coldpuf II platinum base layers. They seem to be a good balance between warmth and price. Anyone have experience with these?

No experience with the brand. But keep in mind many of the options with natural fibers like merino wool tend to prevent the synthetic fiber stink. I use base layers from Mons Royale & Smart wool. If you find a boot length pant you won't have the bunching of the sock+pant inside your boot.

Smartwool Phd medium socks arrived. I still have a set of super thin silk socks. Guess I'll take them but hopefully the Smartwools will be enough by themselves.

The Smartwool Phd series are great socks. I find the medium too thick, but I only have enough space in my boots for the ultralight and they are plenty warm in northern Vermont.

Still haven't found my old ski shirts. I had a few really nice ones (from the 80's).

It might be time to upgrade to some of the new fabric blends to get the best of moisture transfer and warmth. Retro is cool and all, but i'll be honest the new fabric blends are so much more comfy, warmer and drier than the stuff from back in the day. being able to transfer moisture form your skin keeps you so much warmer.

Waiting for my vintage(?) ski jacket to arrive so I can an idea of how much mid layer I think I'll need. I used to just wear a thermal shirt, a nice ski shirt and a nice goose down jacket. That kept me pretty warm but then again I was pretty active. This next trip I'll be on the bunny hill most of the time teaching my daughter to ski for the first time so activity will be considerably less I imagine. Suspect I'll get in a couple of runs in while daughter is in the half-day ski school. May need the puffy vest, not sure yet.

Not knowing the weather your going to be in, it might be good to wash your new-to-you retro jacket with Nikwax tech wash then treat it with NikWax TX-Direct to give it some DWR. The TX direct gives a nice DWR that last quite well. It would suck to be stock out in the snow with a retro jacket that has no DWR and your wet & miserable.

**Are you the best person to teach your daughter to ski? You mentioned you have been 2x since 1991 in your first post. Sometimes its nice to leave teaching to the people that do it daily and you can go take a few runs and then go back out with her after her class and let her focus on what she was taught by the instructor.

Also received my North Face snow boots for hoof'in around and night-time tubing. They got good reviews and seem pretty comfy. Won't really know how warm they are till I get there but suspect with the Smartwool socks, they will be fine.

Found a couple sets of Smith googles (yellow and clear) in my tub of vintage gear. They are ~12 yrs old now and seem to be OK, but if I go with a helmet I may just use a shield. I've been wearing full face motorcycle helmets my whole life but the whole ski helmet thing is new to me.

If the goggle foam is still in good condition rock them for this trip. Lenses have improved substatially and clarity is so much better than the old lenses. I have to wear an RX under mine so lens clarity, distortion, etc. is very important to me. If the foam is disintegrating get a basic pair of goggles from Amazon for this year If you don't have a helmet just rent one for the day and wear a liner under it. Or pick up a cheap one at dicks or amazon. I highly recommend some type of helmet, I'm actually on my 2nd one this year after I got hit by an out of control guy while I was adjusting my boot in the lift line. No reason to rock a full face helmet, the only ones we see in the full shield contraptions are the euro-trendy Canadians that show up 1-2 days a year. We commonly see them on magic carpet and their shield is all fogged up.

See my responses in blue inside the quote. **Don't take my comments personally. Just an observation.

raytseng

Making fresh tracks
Skier
For a base layers if you dont want to commit a lot, just get any kind of wicking athletic tops from your local sporting good store. e.g. nike, reebok, underarmor, house brand generic gym shirt etc.
It doesnt have to be winter specific, you can reuse it for other activities. You dont need to depend on baselayer for warmth, the other layers can provide that. Nor are you climbing el capitan where you need every piece of clothing to be technical gear and as light as possible and not fail on you for 2weeks.
Agree on the advice and idea for pro lessons, it is mentioned frequently in other threads in this subforum. If you have nothing, there usually are learn to ski beginners packages that are diacounted with a restricted lift ticket. It should come out to be fairly priced and can be about the same as just getting gear and a liftticket w/o the lesson. It seems you have the right idea you can take a few runs after the lesson to practice what was taught, but prepare that often firsttimers are just done after the first half day.

Googles I also echo getting new.
Someone just posted there are lots of well priced offbrand made in China goggles that are fine if you are unsure what to get just yet. Likely not as good as name brand, but probably a big step up from your old goggles.

Last edited:
TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Lots of good stuff. Thanks.
Daughter will be doing a half day lesson on the first day. Should be good for her to be around others at the same skill level to see what others do and don't do. It will also give me a chance to get my ski legs back.

New jacket arrived this afternoon. Took it outside and looked it over. Didn't see any issues at all. Fits a little large but I was just wearing a T-shirt so think it will be fine. Dribbled some water on it and it beaded-up very well. Think it's good-to-go. There's a little sideways pocket on the left breast (outside). Thought it had a clear window like for a lift ticket, but turns out its just a pocket. What's supposed to go in there? RFID thingy??

Not sure what "over mitt or undermitt " means. Does it refer to to the liner and outer shell?

Pete in Idaho

Out on the slopes
Skier
Z toe warmers work BUT open each pkg 30 min before you are going to use. shake them and let the oxygen get to them so they activate if you don't do this there is not enough oxygen in buckled ski boot to activate. Don't put ski socks on until you are ready to put boot on as if you wear them on the ride up a small amount of perspiration will form and then cool inside a cold boot.

Boot gloves work but just a little however on a very cold day they can make a difference. the warmest gloves I know are Hestra 3 finger gloves that have a built in liner area for a hand warmer. On cold days I wear glove liners and have never had cold fingers with the liners on.

EricG

Lost somewhere!
Skier
There's a little sideways pocket on the left breast (outside). Thought it had a clear window like for a lift ticket, but turns out its just a pocket. What's supposed to go in there? RFID thingy??

Not sure what "over mitt or undermitt " means. Does it refer to to the liner and outer shell?

RFID wasn’t in use at ski resorts when that jacket was made. That was the age of the ticket wicket. Stick your name tag in the slot.

Over vs under mitts are how the glove/mitt cuff are designed. Some prefer big over cuffs to go up over their wrist outside the jacket. Other prefer the glove cuff under the wrist of their jacket.

Some retro/vintage Rousch over gloves would go great with that jacket.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
Z toe warmers work BUT open each pkg 30 min before you are going to use. shake them and let the oxygen get to them so they activate if you don't do this there is not enough oxygen in buckled ski boot to activate. Don't put ski socks on until you are ready to put boot on as if you wear them on the ride up a small amount of perspiration will form and then cool inside a cold boot.

Boot gloves work but just a little however on a very cold day they can make a difference. the warmest gloves I know are Hestra 3 finger gloves that have a built in liner area for a hand warmer. On cold days I wear glove liners and have never had cold fingers with the liners on.

Good tip on when to put on the socks. Hoping the Smartwool socks work by themselves, but I did order a 40pk of the toe warmers just in case. I'll be sure to remember to activate them for a while before putting them inside boot. I've heard a few folks say that lack of oxy can be an issue especially with fitted boots. I'll be in rentals for this trip so no telling what the fit will be like.

TS
Z

zz28zz

Putting on skis
Skier
RFID wasn’t in use at ski resorts when that jacket was made. That was the age of the ticket wicket. Stick your name tag in the slot.

Over vs under mitts are how the glove/mitt cuff are designed. Some prefer big over cuffs to go up over their wrist outside the jacket. Other prefer the glove cuff under the wrist of their jacket.

Some retro/vintage Rousch over gloves would go great with that jacket.

I was a little confused abt the under/over mitts after seeing a product called "overmitts". Like an extra liner that goes over regular mitts.
Thx for clearing that up.
If I wore glove like that, people would be expecting great things. I prefer to set expectations low, then surprise them..;)

Sponsor

Staff online