• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Awesome Engine Sounds...

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Depends. Crotch rockets and cafe racers suck for a cross country or even 8 hour ride. I get that BMW and others also make nice touring bikes, but Harleys good for that as well. Old school Honda Gold Wings were cool too.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
Regarding the Yamahaha RD350 - sounds like a chain saw. :duck:
I much prefer the sound of an in-line four with a 4-into-one megaphone header red-lining through the gears. Admittedly maybe because that's the motorcycled I learned to ride on. I fondly remember that sound almost as much as the Pink-Floyd-sound-track-worthy sound of a mad man laughing hysterically inside my helmet the first time I red-lined my learner-cycle in third.

My brother currently has a bored out, stroked Harley with a racing exhaust. The exhaust has valves that open up at certain RPMs: low rpm everything sounds legal; pass a given rpm and a valve opens, and it gets louder; pas a 2nd point and another valve opens and it gets louder, pass the third point and (you guessed it) another valve opens. At high rpm (for a Harley) it sounds like you're standing next to a 50-calibre machine gun.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Note the title change. Google dinged us on the title.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Note the title change. Google dinged us on the title.
I thought it was different. I can't even remember what it was this morning!

Joby Graham

Getting off the lift
Skier
Nice touch matching the driver's helmets to the cars - Schumacher, Ickx, Amon. Too bad they didn't include Phil Hill, Surtees and Mansell stand-ins in their era machines.

Dakine

Far Out
Inactive
Out for a little ride.
Once out on the road I roll it on.
Scary machine!
The TiForce pipe weighs 8 pounds and came off a LSR bike that ran 232 in the standing mile.
Hayabusa...!

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
gotto love v8's, put on headphones or connect a sub ;)
7500 rpm for me in the 7 liter ls, 8400-8400 for my friends bmw

Varmintmist

Bear, with furnture.
Skier
IME, these are my bestest.

These may have had some effect on my chronic tinnitus.
I still run a Husky 61 which would be the son of that. I got it used from a tree service with a 16 in bar on it. It wouldnt go deep but you better have both hands on it when it bit wood. I put a 24" bar on it and it is still my go to saw.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The strip mall less than 1000 feet from my front yard was ground zero for the metro area car and bike Mad Max Thunderdome Apacolypse meets Fast and Furious 20 stunt show event last night. From about 7:30pm until well after 1am sounds of shredding tires, screaming engines, well timed backfires, and pretty decent fireworks filled the air. I went by there this morning to check out the aftermath. Looks like they actually picked up most of the trash I had expected to see there. This was way over the top compared to what my friends and I did with our cars and bikes back in the 80s. Also the cops were busy with a major protest going on across town so they had free reign all night. As long as they only destroyed their own vehicles and nobody was hurt.. It's all good... until someone does get hurt and then it isn't..

Here's about 1/4th of the parking lot but where most of the rubber was left.. donuts all over the rest of it but this was the center ring of the stunt show for sure..
1595177113380.png

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
I spent about 3 years between college and marriage at several local bullrings 2-3 nights a week. All before the days of mufflers on the engines. Some were inline six jalopies that sounded like angry bees, others were big block late models, mostly Chevy Rat motors, some were four cylinder midgets and the rest were small blocks of various kinds. Needless to say, my hearing is a little off from all of it.

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
The strip mall less than 1000 feet from my front yard was ground zero for the metro area car and bike Mad Max Thunderdome Apacolypse meets Fast and Furious 20 stunt show event last night. From about 7:30pm until well after 1am sounds of shredding tires, screaming engines, well timed backfires, and pretty decent fireworks filled the air. I went by there this morning to check out the aftermath. Looks like they actually picked up most of the trash I had expected to see there. This was way over the top compared to what my friends and I did with our cars and bikes back in the 80s. Also the cops were busy with a major protest going on across town so they had free reign all night. As long as they only destroyed their own vehicles and nobody was hurt.. It's all good... until someone does get hurt and then it isn't..

Here's about 1/4th of the parking lot but where most of the rubber was left.. donuts all over the rest of it but this was the center ring of the stunt show for sure..
View attachment 106639
Got some video/audio of the crimes in progress LOL. Looks like quite a few people there around the play area..

-no tags-https://www.instagram.com/p/CC0yz5vhUOu/?igshid=1uqygz1jlvhwb-no tags

Après Skier

Amateur Skier & Professional Curmudgeon
Skier
The most awesome engine sound is the silent hum of a Tesla/Bolt/Leaf etc.

Reactions: tch

anders_nor

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I have a tesla, I've had a leaf ( NEVER NEVER NEVER AGAIN)

At least my tesla TM3P has track mode, I have a place exiting a tunnel into roundabout when I goto my gym that you can make some tires-go-fast noises, then its quite ok as a daily, but incentives are dieing down where I live, and honestly thats the reason why most people here drive them.

Sponsor

Staff online