• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Awesome Engine Sounds...

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
That kid is ruined for life. Nothing will ever compete.
There is an interesting thread, "At what point were you ruined for life?" Could be a prime rib eye steak, the soung of a motor or even a ski [cough]Renoun Z90 at Northstar [/cough].

Back on the subject. The first time I heard a Porsche Carrera GT. It was at the Radnor Course D'Elegance. I still hear it, truly an amazing sound.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Don't have a clip or recording of it but the sound of a fighter jet kicking in the afterburners and pointing the nose up in a steep climb will sends chills through you. Have heard it described as 'the sound of freedom', which fits.
Pure extreme nasty power that will literally knock you down if you are on the wrong end of it.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Don't have a clip or recording of it but the sound of a fighter jet kicking in the afterburners and pointing the nose up in a steep climb will sends chills through you. Have heard it described as 'the sound of freedom', which fits.
Pure extreme nasty power that will literally knock you down if you are on the wrong end of it.
My dad and I "chaperoned" the high school band at Pocono International years ago. They had an F14 or F15 that lapped the track a few times, stood on its tail and lit it. Absolutely awesome. Chilling. Fantastic. Unreal. Etc.

tch

What do I know; I'm just some guy on the internet.
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
This is a really interesting thread. I have pretty sensitive ears and I can't STAND the sound of loud engines. I cannot imagine being entranced by sound of revving internal combustion motors.
I know the Harley riders' mantra of "loud pipes save lives", but in truth, when I hear loud motorcycles I wanna go out and murder the SOB's who are riding them.

I guess it takes all kinds -- but in truth, my life would be made a lot more pleasant if every engine sound were muffled down to Prius levels.

TS
scott43

scott43

So much better than a pro
Skier
This is a really interesting thread. I have pretty sensitive ears and I can't STAND the sound of loud engines. I cannot imagine being entranced by sound of revving internal combustion motors.
I know the Harley riders' mantra of "loud pipes save lives", but in truth, when I hear loud motorcycles I wanna go out and murder the SOB's who are riding them.

I guess it takes all kinds -- but in truth, my life would be made a lot more pleasant if every engine sound were muffled down to Prius levels.
I get that..I feel more that way now that I have a 2 year old sleeping and said SOB goes by on his 1913 tractor motor Harley with open pipes. ogsmile There's a time and place for everything and I think in our world these days, the less noise the better! And one person's symphony is another person's POS tractor.

TS
scott43

scott43

Skier

the soundtrack of my youth. If only they could get the smell on tape!!!
I rode a bunch of 2-strokes back in the day..had an RZ-500 for a while. Nifty sounds..rode behind a no-baffle KH-400 at Mosport as I passed him on the back straight..felt like I was being shot by an MG42... BRRRRPPPPPPP... And the spatter of 2-stoke oil on the visor..so green friendly! :ogbiggrin:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
I get that..I feel more that way now that I have a 2 year old sleeping and said SOB goes by on his 1913 tractor motor Harley with open pipes. ogsmile There's a time and place for everything and I think in our world these days, the less noise the better! And one person's symphony is another person's POS tractor.

The best engine for sleeping 2 year olds is an old school 4cyl marine diesel. In a wooden hull, by preference. Trust me - I slept a LOT with one of these 4 feet and 8mm of wooden plank away. NOTE: Also available in POS tractors.

The only things remotely close to being that soothing were the 2-stroke Seagulls.

Last edited:

BS Slarver

Making fresh tracks
Skier
TS
scott43

scott43

Skier
We dyno'd a shifter kart with a CR80 engine once..made like 30hp...unbelievable. Thing was stupid fast.

Seldomski

All words are made up
Skier

Agree, I prefer no engine sound.

My office building is under the landing approach path for the C-5 galaxy. That thing is distinctive and LOUD. Great cameo appearance in conference calls.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January