• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Awesome Engine Sounds...

pais alto

me encanta el país alto
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

These may have had some effect on my chronic tinnitus.

oldschoolskier

Making fresh tracks
Skier
There was a track on Hwy 48 (Ontario) call Pitstop 48, fasted track I ever knew with rental carts, 50-55mph if you had the nerve to run the track flat out, wash board in the last turn with a wall before the pits, took nerve as you drifted towards it. Heard it closed 10-15years ago, a few accidents. Neat thing was it had multiple lines to run flat out, so passing was possible (except the washboard).

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
This is a really interesting thread. I have pretty sensitive ears and I can't STAND the sound of loud engines. I cannot imagine being entranced by sound of revving internal combustion motors.
I know the Harley riders' mantra of "loud pipes save lives", but in truth, when I hear loud motorcycles I wanna go out and murder the SOB's who are riding them.

I guess it takes all kinds -- but in truth, my life would be made a lot more pleasant if every engine sound were muffled down to Prius levels.

It's not about them being loud though most of them are, it's about sounding good. There are plenty of loud engines that just sound like pieces of shit.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
It's not about them being loud though most of them are, it's about sounding good. There are plenty of loud engines that just sound like pieces of shit.
Sometimes it is about the muffler and not the motor. I remember things like Glass Packs or Thrush mufflers and that the sound out put could be tuned based on the type of muffler used.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
This is a really interesting thread. I have pretty sensitive ears and I can't STAND the sound of loud engines. I cannot imagine being entranced by sound of revving internal combustion motors.
I know the Harley riders' mantra of "loud pipes save lives", but in truth, when I hear loud motorcycles I wanna go out and murder the SOB's who are riding them.

I guess it takes all kinds -- but in truth, my life would be made a lot more pleasant if every engine sound were muffled down to Prius levels.

You are clearly in the wrong thread! It's more about the sound than the db level. Harley's are not a good example of ANYTHING.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider

the soundtrack of my youth. If only they could get the smell on tape!!!

I understand completely... The 350 I've had since I was 17, got the 500 for my 40th birthday!
My two Yammie 2-strokes

73 Yamaha RD350 ModProd.JPG
85 Yamaha RZ500.JPG

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Yes, the rice burners are fast and have a distinctive annoying sound, but will not be classic like the Harley's.
But they have to be correctly muffled Harleys. The open pipe ones are obnoxious. Muffled they do have a classic sound that can be enjoyed. Remember when they wanted to TM the offset crank so no one else could get the bupbupbup sound?

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
I never get tired of hearing this angry bee...
Your thread caught my eye and I didn't get past the first post. I like how they "don't need no stinkin' reverse" at about 1:20. ;)

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
We used to do that all the time.

Our bikes all came with bottle dynamos - the trick was to tweak the mount it so the roller would hit a knobby part of the tire tread -> wheeeeeee for HOWLING downhills. Extra credit for a pulsing flashlight bulb in the rear fender light. I think we went through about 3 bulbs/week just from filament burnout.

SpikeDog

You want Big Air, kid?
Skier
I understand completely... The 350 I've had since I was 17, got the 500 for my 40th birthday!
My two Yammie 2-strokes

View attachment 104592 View attachment 104593

Nice! I had a few Yamahammers in my youth, culminating in a 1979 RD400 Daytona Special. I took out the goofy exhaust check valves they put in to make it pass emissions and slapped some aftermarket expansion pipes on it. Such a nice light powerful bike. I rode it around Hawaii (Oahu) for 4 years in the Navy. When I lived in a condo in Aiea they made me push the bike out of the parking garage out past the guard shack before I started it due to all the noise complaints. Blue smoke machine making sweet music! Of course I'm paying for that now, with tinnitus, etc.

Bill Talbot

Vintage Gear Curator
Industry Insider
Yes, the rice burners are fast and have a distinctive annoying sound, but will not be classic like the Harley's.
To each their own. I wouldn't give you a dollar for any
But they have to be correctly muffled Harleys. The open pipe ones are obnoxious. Muffled they do have a classic sound that can be enjoyed. Remember when they wanted to TM the offset crank so no one else could get the bupbupbup sound?

Andy... that's potato-potato-potato...

Sponsor