• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Another frivolous poll while waiting for snow: Star Wars or Star Trek?

Are you a Star Wars fan or a Trekkie?

• Star Wars

Votes: 13 40.6%
  • Star Trek

Votes: 19 59.4%

• Total voters

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It's really too bad they cancelled Crusade.

For anyone missing TNG-era Star Trek, I'd definitely recommend taking a look at The Orville. You'll have to give it a little while to hit its stride, but as long as you're not put off by the humor, it's quite true to most of what I find made The Next Generation great.

I was keeping up with The Orville until they moved it to Hulu... then I quit watching it.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Dark Matter kinda lost me in the third season - alts and alt-realities always wind up railroading the plot - are you watching the Expanse?

Unpiste

Booting down
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Dark Matter kinda lost me in the third season - alts and alt-realities always wind up railroading the plot - are you watching the Expanse?
Dark Matter did get a little weird, but in exactly the kind of slightly campy sci-fi way I like. I was definitely disappointed to see it cancelled.

The Expanse is one I would recommend to nearly anyone. I was quite annoyed at SyFy for cancelling it and I’m eagerly awaiting season 4 on Amazon. Seasons 1–3 are easily some of the best modern TV.

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
The Expanse is one I would recommend to nearly anyone. I was quite annoyed at SyFy for cancelling it and I’m eagerly awaiting season 4 on Amazon. Seasons 1–3 are easily some of the best modern TV.

I know, right? Take a bunch of The Wire writers, feed them a steady diet of Larry Niven, and keep them sequestered on a Bab 5 set...

They've even escaped 'Canadian Negotiating Syndrome' where supposed tough guys and mercenaries repeat collectivist verbiage over and over. (You'll even find it Dark Matter by the third episode).

CS2-6

>50% Chicken Fried Steak w/w
Skier
Star Trek is excellent science fiction. Star Wars is excellent science fantasy. A well-rounded individual should strive to neglect neither in their education.

TS
Tricia

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Where's the snow dammit.

Bad Bob

I golf worse than I ski.
Skier
Use The Force. How can you not love that?

A great western set in a galaxy far far away.

LiquidFeet

instructor
Instructor
I loved this one and binge-watched it. When they finally found earth, wow what an episode that was.

In the follow-up episodes I sensed that the writers were under pressure to keep people watching no matter how convoluted and unfixable the subplots. There were too many obvious up-front holes in the story as it continued to develop and no one bothered to plug them. The ending episode... a new low in TV writing :nono::nono::nono:.

Cool Last Supper parody below.
image.png

Last edited:

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
In the follow-up episodes I sensed that the writers were under pressure to keep people watching no matter how convoluted and unfixable the subplots.

Yep, this is the 'railroading' in gamer parlance that I reference above: where the characters have zero ability to tweak their own fate no matter what their growth arcs and the dungeon master runs the plot like on rails - into whatever Doom Scenario Of The Week he/she chooses. And so the players generally make the irony the game - by deliberately getting into unfixable side-quest messes.

There were too many obvious up-front holes in the story as it continued to develop and no one bothered to plug them. The ending episode... a new low in TV writing :nono::nono::nono:.

This is the chronic danger of plot-driven series. There's a wonderful explanation of the massive conflict that arose when the writers of TNG realised they had to break away from plot-driven into character-driven writing or they would quickly write the series into the same pit:
Chaos on the Bridge

If they hadn't won that conflict, TNG would have spun out, DS9 Voyager and Enterprise would never have happened.

Sponsor

Staff online