• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

And so,...you head to the resort and ooopse, what did you forget to bring?

Andy Jones

Booting up
Skier
I meet a buddy half way to the mountain. Parked my truck at a Wendy’s and rode with my buddy to save on gas and parking fee. Got parked at fthe mountain and realized I left my boots in the truck 20 minutes away. My buddy skied while I drove his car back down the mountain to get my boots. Wasted ski time, gas and had to pay for parking a second time.

I once accidentally put up my wife’s poles in the truck instead of my poles. Used them anyway even if they were way short. My technique is so bad it didn’t make much difference.

Put my boots on in the lodge once and they felt really odd. Actually hurt my feet after just one trip down the mountain. Went back into the lodge to try to figure out what was wrong. Then realized when I put the liners back in the boots I put the right liner in the left boot and vice versa. Arches on the outside of my feet. Don’t know how I ever got my feet in like that. No wonder my feet hurt.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Not completely ski related but more ski vacation related. The year was 1986. Ski trip to Austria. Day before last and packing to come home the veery next morning. But where is my passport? Searched high and low and never was to be found. My dad was not a happy camper with this last minute and big problem. This was either a Saturday or a sunday (I forget which) and here we are in the local Austrian Police station trying to figure out how I am to return home. The US embassy was closed late ion this Saturday early evening but somehow my dad got someone to reach out and someone from a US embassy came and opened and we met there and cut me a new passport.

Nowadays Id imagine this would been a much much bigger ordeal than it was back then. I mean to think a passport floating around somewhere unknown and trying to board the two flights as well as enter the US. My dad was upset but to be fair it wasn't exactly my finest moment as a young adult......lol

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I've also forgotten boot boards and insoles—I had been b/c skiing with a creek crossing at the bottom and opted to wade rather than do a sketchy fallen-tree balancing-act, so I pulled everything apart when I got home. Went up to the pass a few days later after work to grab a few quick turns, pull the boots out, stick my foot in a liner and realize something really doesn't feel right. I still made a few turns (I'd gotten my ass up there, after all) but not what I had planned. That was not comfortable.

Ski socks are a big one for me. I can't wear the same socks to the mountain without my feet sweating, so even if I'm otherwise dressed and/or most of my stuff is in my locker, I need to remember a fresh pair of socks. Yes, I have learned to leave a spare pair in my locker (which somehow turned into three pairs by the time I cleaned it out this spring).

Season's pass: it almost always stays in my locker, but occasionally I need it off-site for skiing at another resort owned by the same overlords or for discount purposes. Last time, I was 100% convinced I had it in my boots (that's where I usually leave it when it's at home), got to the locker room, no pass in either boot shell (and no, I didn't remember to check until after I put them on). Went back to the truck, didn't see it. Went back to the locker room, checking ground en route, still no pass. Went to guest services and got a day ticket. Skied all day, never got checked, and then found the pass under the passenger's seat in the truck (entirely under it, like dead-center...how that happened without me trying, I have no idea).

Phone: if my watch hadn't died months ago and I wasn't too busy to deal with replacing the battery, it would be less of an issue, but I've forgotten the phone ae handful of times this year and found (a) that I was reliant on others and/or lift shack clocks; and (b) I couldn't track my runs with Trace.

Ah, and the thermos. When I'm heading out to coach, or sometimes for touring, I'll usually make a thermos of hot tea to bring with me. It's very nice to have on the hill when you get chilled. It's not nearly as nice when I realize that it's still sitting on the kitchen counter.

And, yes, wallet, as well. I tend to forget it because I rarely need it while skiing, but then there's always the chance that I'll really want a bite to eat or something. My coaching bag now has about $30 tucked into it just in case. I also do have enough cash for a tank of fuel squirreled away in the truck.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
I always inventory my boot bag the night before and one time I grabbed a pair of black socks and then realized once I got to the mountain that it wasn't a ski sock but was my dress socks I wear to work. My right foot can be kind of picky but fortunately it worked out. Mental note for next time to look closer when inventorying bag. My SO forgot his shell once, had to go into the kirkwood ski shop and buy one. Fortunately it was near the end of the season and they had a good sale going on.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
In the rare event that something gets left behind......I march to the lost and found bins!!!!! Have borrowed jackets and snowpants from there.......the lades at the counter who monitor are always skeptical so I always say the "color is black"

Kneale Brownson

Making fresh tracks forever on the other side
Instructor
I've left gloves, socks AND PASS, the latter several times. That's what's been nice the last eleven years living five minutes from the base of the gondola. Gonna miss that. Maybe we'll do a Ella bag after we move to Reno. Sure don't want to forget something there.

SShore

Resident Curmudgeon
Skier
On separate trips, poles, skis, helmet, jacket, season pass. Haven't forgotten boots yet but I'm sure I will.

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
They actually cracked down on people raiding lost and found at the mountain where I work. More often than not if you forgot something just take a walk on over to lost and found, say you lost something and go "shopping" for the item to borrow for the day and return it later. Now they actually either have it manned or they keep it locked up and only on rare occasions will they let you in there and it's usually if you work at the mountain and they know you. It's unbelievable what people leave behind, pants, layers, boots, snowboards, snowboard boots, jackets. At the end of the season they donate all unclaimed items to an organization that works with people who want to to ski/board but don't have the means to have all the gear/clothing.

wallyk

Would rather be ski'n
Skier
Now they actually either have it manned or they keep it locked up and only on rare occasions will they let you in there and it's usually if you work at the mountain and they know you.

Aside of Phil's colorful comments describing high end skis, this of the best lines I've read in awhile. So the lost and found at, I presume Bromley, is more of a "found" and we're keeping the items locked away so we can "donate" after we picked through them type of box? That's not very Vermont. Or is it very Vermont???.......could go either way there..........What's the savvy skier or ski bum who needs to temporarily borrow an item, or anyone who actually lost an item at Bromley to do?????

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Aside of Phil's colorful comments describing high end skis, this of the best lines I've read in awhile. So the lost and found at, I presume Bromley, is more of a "found" and we're keeping the items locked away so we can "donate" after we picked through them type of box? That's not very Vermont. Or is it very Vermont???.......could go either way there..........What's the savvy skier or ski bum who needs to temporarily borrow an item, or anyone who actually lost an item at Bromley to do?????

Yes Bromley. However, I didn't mean it like they hoard and then donate. I just meant it's not just a walk on over there and peruse and raid and borrow something for the day kinda place. In fairness the lost and found is for legitimately lost things, not a pool from which you can temporarily borrow items. I meant they've let me in there unsupervised because they know me and I work there but I'd lost a glove and because they knew me they let me go in there solo. If you have legitimately lost something they just want to know what it is and they'll let you in to look for it. If you forgot something at home, borrow from a friend or hit the ski shop.

At the end of the season if anything is unclaimed then they donate but they certainly don't discourage you from retrieving your lost items. I'm not opposed to borrowing something for the day but I just meant gone are the days of free roaming in the lost and found area because I'm guessing people were taking advantage of it being unsupervised.

They donate unclaimed items to an organization at the end of the season and I think that's a very vermont thing to do.

Last edited:

djetok

Low Lander
Skier
My wife forgot pants, now I do drive myself crazy checking and re checking though. Some times I have been know to unpack all 5 peoples gear out of the truck after it was packed and check everything

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
The rental shop at the Village Day Lodge at Sun Peaks, in addition to skis and boots also rents ski pants and jackets.

As for me, well don't expect this old guy to remember all the stuff that I have forgotten.:P

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
As for me, well don't expect this old guy to remember all the stuff that I have forgotten.:P

hahaha....."i dont know, I cant remember,...the only thing I do know for sure is that I think Im certain that i cant remember"

Ogg

Skiing the powder
Skier
I've forgotten pretty much every piece of equipment over the years. Fortunately all the major things(skis, boots, pass) were forgotten at our condo 15-20 minutes from the mountain and just required a short trip to recover.

trailtrimmer

Stuck in the Flatlands
Skier
Stuffed one of my wifes old boot liners in my right boot on accident while leaving in a hurry.

I found out Head rental boot liners work quite well in place of a packed out Lange RX liner. :D

Sponsor

Staff online