• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

And so,...you head to the resort and ooopse, what did you forget to bring?

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
Have we all forget something at times? perhaps gloves, helmet, maybe boots (or one boot). pants, goggles, etc....IDK whatever. This stuff can be a bummer especially when travel is too far to go back.

For me, poles are the one thing I have most forgotten although only on rare occasions.

But some this stuff can be funny. maybe some have even forgotten their skis. maybe even a family member..lol Share the stories no matter how funny or frustrating or embarrassing.

ella_g

Getting off the lift
Skier
We drove ourselves insane last season forgetting everything a family could possible forget, ski pass, ski boots, jacket, EVERYTHING. This fall I had a minor epiphany and decided to pack a duffel that would live in our car that would have a spare old jacket, long underwear, socks, mittens, buff, helmet, goggles, a blank J card that could be loaded for whoever forgot their pass, ski pants, fleece, wax, etc etc etc. Just stuffed a ton of old stuff in there. Turns out, Im sure just because it was there, we didnt really forget much ... but it was great being able to loan stuff to friends and my kids friends. There's also a song ski coaches sing about all the stuff you're supposed to remember but .. funnily ... we can never remember quite how it goes ... duh

James

Out There
Instructor
Some years ago on the very first day of the season I forgot to put the boot boards back in the boots.

The last day of the previous spring was really wet and the boots had water in them. So everything came apart. Well I grabbed the shells and the liners, never saw the bootboards, and headed off. I remember doing a clinic where we were doing skating and thinking, "damn these boots are stiff. I don't remember them being this stiff". Since it was the first day I just wrote it off as readjusting.

At the end of the day, I took the liners out and realized the bootboard wasn't in there. No wonder it was hard to skate! The liner bottom got cut where the points from the screws holding the sole plates pierced it.

SKI-3PO

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Left my poles home on 2 consecutive trips. Never happened before or since.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Poles last year. No big deal, got some from the rental shop. Skis but luckily remembered before getting all the way to the hill. Helmet. Do NOT forget the helmet as the ball cap doesn't absorb shock. Ouch.

Forgot my shotgun for duck hunting once. Never did that again until I forgot my rifle for an elk hunt. An hour back on dirt roads to get it.

wyowindrunner

Getting off the lift
Skier
Poles-yes- Shell-yes-Socks- yes. Pass-yes. Have a bag like Ella_g but doesnt help when you use something or loan it out then take stuff out to dry and forget to put back in.
Andy- never forgot to bring the shotgun but ran 'em over- twice -when getting back to truck and leaning them up against it while drawing birds. Broke the stock on a Fox (Stevens) 20 double and scuffed up the forearm on a 20 winchester pump. Once is bad enough but twice?!

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Shortly after I retired and was free to ski crowdless weekdays, I drove to Timberline, parked, grabbed my gear, started humming my way along to the lodge ... La, La, La, La, La, La, Laaaaaa, Crap! No ski pants. I was not buying yet another pair of black ski pants. Not. I stood in the parking lot in my sweatpants, looking out on this perfect bluebird day, and put my pride on Life's Balance to see exactly how much it was worth. Do I ski in sweatpants? Do I just drive home? My pride was pretty heavy that day as I dragged it back to the car.

One day last week, I got to Copper, walked to the shuttle doing a mental inventory. Trust me ... that is not the time to take inventory. You might realize, as I did, that you have no ski socks. The uber-thin footies I had on were just going to have to do. (Yes, I could have bought some socks, but I hate wearing stuff that hasn't been washed.) Can't say my ski boots fit their best that day, but I doubt anyone noticed a degradation in my performance!

mdf

entering the Big Couloir
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
The first time I went to Aspen I took my tuning supplies - stones, guide, iron, scraper, etc -- with me for a mid-week refresh. At 8:30 I'm doing a quick mini-tune and discover I forgot to bring wax! I was staying near the so-called "Snowmass Mall" so I hurry over. The stores are mostly closed or about to close, and the ski shops that are open don't have any wax for sale. (They would wax my skis for me for a lot of money, though.. Geez.)

Sibhusky

Whitefish, MT
Skier
This is why I have a locker and a locker list. The week prior to skiing I start loading the locker. I'm currently unloading it and counted four pair of regular mittens, a pair of mitten shells, a set of wool mittens and a pair of Polartec ones. Also have three pairs of skis, a set of poles, three face masks, 2 balaclavas, a water bottle, a $5 bill (it's been in a bag for years, really should make it a ten now), three sets of goggles, ... Well, you get the idea. If I've ever forgotten something (like boot insoles) it's in there, sometimes many times over. The contents are just for me, in case you thought that was a family list.

eok

Slopefossil
Skier
Load-up error: left one of my boots in the garage. DOH! Anyway, that was years ago. Now always strap the boots together AND I have an OCD ritual before leaving the garage to go skiing: I reach to the back seat and touch BOTH boots.

Goran M.

Getting off the lift
Inactive
Prescription glasses ... I left for the airport wearing my "sun prescription" glasses ... just to find out that my regular glasses are nowhere to be found ...

I had to wear my sunshades (prescription) for many odd moments in the public ... Thankfully French people thought of it as a cool thing ...

10pm fondue dinner at the supper dark place and I am having sunglasses (prescription) on ...

John O

Getting off the lift
Skier
Forgot my contacts one trip. I wear glasses most days except when doing sports/activities. And I don't own OTG goggles.

Fortunately someone on the trip had a spare pair of goggles that fit OTG, or else I would have had to buy something. Haven't forgotten my contacts since (knock on wood).

fatbob

Not responding
Skier
Not just at the hill. Recently for a 2 week trip I was on the way to the airport and realised that between 2 pairs of skis I had exactly 1 binding. Thankfully resolved.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I've forgotten poles.

On the last day of the Big Sky Gathering this year we drove up to the hill (15 minutes or so) and realized that my jacket was still hanging on the coat hooks in our rental condo. I cursed a bit, @Tony S handed me the car keys so I drove back down the hill, got my coat and back up the hill.

François Pugh

Skiing the powder
Skier
Great White North (Eastern side currently)
I forgot goggles once and bought a pair from the on-site ski shop.
I used to be paranoid of skiing without poles, and would rent them if I forgot them. Then one day I broke my wrist skiing and found it unpleasantly painful to hold a ski pole in the hand with the broken wrist (end of the radius), so skied without poles the rest of the day. I discovered that it wasn't so hard after all, and I had been wasting money renting poles.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
This is why I have a locker and a locker list. The week prior to skiing I start loading the locker. I'm currently unloading it and counted four pair of regular mittens, a pair of mitten shells, a set of wool mittens and a pair of Polartec ones. Also have three pairs of skis, a set of poles, three face masks, 2 balaclavas, a water bottle, a $5 bill (it's been in a bag for years, really should make it a ten now), three sets of goggles, ... Well, you get the idea. If I've ever forgotten something (like boot insoles) it's in there, sometimes many times over. The contents are just for me, in case you thought that was a family list.

Better make that $5 a $50 instead of a 10 nowadays. LOL this isnt the 70's.

Sponsor