• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

And so,...you head to the resort and ooopse, what did you forget to bring?

bbinder

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Socks. Gave me an excuse to pay retail price for a new pair at the mountain.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Things I have forgotten..but not all at the same time...
  • Hat
  • Goggles
  • Helmet
  • Poles
  • Pass
  • Jacket

Things that I have forgotten at the ski resort and not come home with
  • Gloves
  • Skiboots
  • Sunglasses

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Boot bag with essentials stay in back of car all ski season. Have designated poles for most pairs of skis on the quiver hanging off velcro straps holding skis together. Spare phone battery is what was forgotten last time.

RuleMiHa

Out on the slopes
Skier
I mostly just keep leaving my poles on the mountain. It seems there isn't much of a market for 16yo banged up poles, so I just swing by lost and found when I go back.

socalgal

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Socks. Gave me an excuse to pay retail price for a new pair at the mountain.
This! I got up to Big Bear and realized I didn't have any ski socks. I didn't want to drive around so I went to their one and only retail shop..... $36 for a pair of socks!!!! Not fancy socks, not compression socks, not threaded with the virgin wool of merinos. Just regular ski socks.
I have also forgotten my ski pants. Thankfully @Pat AKA mustski saved the day and loaned my a very classy black pair!

Posaune

sliding
Skier
I forgot my parka once. I had a button-up overcoat in the back of the car that I made somewhat more windproof with some safety pins. The plugs for my helmet were in the parka I forgot, so I stuffed paper napkins in the holes and away I went. It worked.

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
One time I forgot my jacket, it was spring so I ended buying a close out jacket, that was 2 sizes too large for me, with neon squiggles. It was a Burton AK jacket, so good quality, and I wore it for a few years, including at my first Gathering.

Another time I forgot my boots. Don’t know how that happened, probably in the days before I had a boot bag and I booted up at the car in the parking lot. I ended up renting boots for the day, I used my street shoes orthotics in them, a little uncomfortable but managed to get through the day.

This season, I show up to teach a morning class and realize I’d left both my ski pants at home. It was snowing pretty good that day so wearing jeans on the slopes was not an option. It was early enough in the season so that there was a good selection of ski pants, except only 2 in my size. I tried them both on and went with the Flylow, which were on sale at $300, as opposed to the cheaper ones which were marked down to $125.

I’m usually pretty good at getting all my gear organized prior to leaving home, but sometimes :doh:.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
Another time I forgot my boots. Don’t know how that happened, probably in the days before I had a boot bag and I booted up at the car in the parking lot. I ended up renting boots for the day, I used my street shoes orthotics in them, a little uncomfortable but managed to get through the day.

I think that was the time that you and I met up at Crystal. I was impressed that the rental shop actually had some decent quality ski boots for rent and not just the usually cheap rental boots.

This season I forgot the battery charger for my heated Hestra gloves while on a 7 week USA ski trip. I figured that I would get one day use out of the gloves so I decided to wait for the coldest day.

So, I get up one morning in Aspen and it is -4*F/-22*C. I decided to not go skiing. The sun came out and by afternoon in the valley it got above freezing. (Something that would never happen in B.C, in Feb.)

I never did need those heated gloves during my 7 week trip and I got fresh snow at every stop on the trip, interspersed mostly with sunshine. I also found out when I got home that B.C. had experienced the coldest Feb. in over 80 years. That made the weather on my trip seem even better.

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I forgot my parka once. I had a button-up overcoat in the back of the car that I made somewhat more windproof with some safety pins. The plugs for my helmet were in the parka I forgot, so I stuffed paper napkins in the holes and away I went. It worked.
Ingenuity rules.

PNWRod

Getting off the lift
Skier

I hate those plugs but they belong to the only helmet that fits my weird shaped head. I've lost one side of the plugs so if it's really cold I've used duct tape on the inside. Most of the time I just pull my hood up and not worry about it if it's that cold.

DanoT

RVer-Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Sun Peaks B.C. in winter, Victoria B.C. in summer
At the on mountain Elevation Ski and Bike shop at Sun Peaks we sell more bathing suits in winter than in summer...few people forget their bathing suit in summer.

Wilhelmson

Making fresh tracks
Skier
At the on mountain Elevation Ski and Bike shop at Sun Peaks we sell more bathing suits in winter than in summer...few people forget their bathing suit in summer.

Which is why I keep one in the ski bag.

Ryan Dietrich

Getting on the lift
Skier
Dang it! I forgot my gloves TWICE this season. First time it cost me $30, last time it cost me $45 (bought new ones). I have forgotten my wife's goggles at least once, my kids coat, and a pair of skis (we ended up renting). I suck.

LuliTheYounger

I'm just here to bother my mom
Skier
I only ever forget my pants, but I've misplaced them more than once.

@fasteddie forgot so much stuff on one trip this season that he became the center of family gossip for weeks. I first heard the story from my grandma, who called me from across the country & opened the phone call by going "Hi - did you HEAR what Ed did - he went skiing WITHOUT HIS SKIS!"

TS
Goose

Goose

Out on the slopes
Skier
I think we need to make a checklist for this reason. problem is we can forget where we may have put that.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Gloves just once. I keep things in a packed ski bag and am the king of double-triple checking. In this instance my oldest son took both pairs of my ski gloves out for his own use early morning before I left for the hill. Luckily I had an old pair of work gloves in my truck that got me thru the day. It’s not easy for me to find gloves for my xxl hands in any ski shop so it would have been tough otherwise.

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
Years ago I went up to Sugar Bush for a meet and ski with the "Bears".

Delightful snow was falling and all was looking good at the ticket window.

Until I realized I had forgotten my ski pants! Ohhps!

A quick duck into the ski shop at the base and I was set with a very nice pair of Marker pants at a very reasonable "spring clearance" price.
The sales staff was SOOOO sympathetic!
I still wear that pair of ski pants in preference to all others I have purchased since. (whenever color options other than uniform black are allowed) They are stating to show usage, but that just adds to the story.

Pat AKA mustski

I can keep a Secret
Ski Diva Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
This! I got up to Big Bear and realized I didn't have any ski socks. I didn't want to drive around so I went to their one and only retail shop..... $36 for a pair of socks!!!! Not fancy socks, not compression socks, not threaded with the virgin wool of merinos. Just regular ski socks.
I have also forgotten my ski pants. Thankfully @Pat AKA mustski saved the day and loaned my a very classy black pair!
1. We do have a Big 5 in town and it is much less expensive for those quick picks.
2. I thought I lent you my turquoise pants. I tried to bring you something styling! But, I'm old and I forget crap.

I, personally, have never forgotten anything. However, I cannot count the number of times that I have purchased gloves, goggles, sunglasses for DS's friends! My personal favorite ... "Mrs. B. I have 2 left gloves! My mom packed the wrong stuff." My response ... "You are 17 years old and your mom doesn't snowboard. You need to start packing for yourself!" Then I bought him new gloves.

Brad J

Out on the slopes
Skier
Wallet, Not enough gas in car to get back home, texted friends that I was meeting and told them i was headed home, One friend called and lent me money for gas to get home.
Wife's ski's , I had my three pair but not hers, Woops two days renting and then she told me that the rentals skied better than hers, so a new pair for her $$$$$$

Sponsor

Staff online