• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Dan

Putting on skis
Skier
IMG_20190226_141320613.jpg

I felt so lucky today! Like skiing on butter. Anyone know what year these K2 Four competitions are from? My best guess is 72 or 73.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Does anyone have any info on these skis? I picked them up a few days ago, working on refinishing them right now. My guess is late 80's early 90's by the picture shown here? They came paired up with these boots. View attachment 66414
Usually when K2 put "Team" on a ski it was a junior ski. The I don't recall the UVL being pat of the regular line up but K2 produced many skis that were SMG, Special Makeup Graphics for certain retailer chains. These obviously were a take on the KVC graphics. I would say these were from early 90's.

Dan

Putting on skis
Skier
Why would K2 make a model called the "Heidelberg"? Doesn't seem to be a famous German ski town. Did the company have a tie to the place? They'll see snow tomorrow regardless:) with Salomon 40/404 bindings.
IMG_20190323_140551134.jpg

Max Air

You never get hurt in the air!
Skier

Dan

Putting on skis
Skier
View attachment 69354
Missing a pair of 255's and the Junior Cheesburgers! :(
All but two are skiable (and have been!)
What do you know about the Killy Heats. I have a pair as well but can't find much info. Was it a recreational ski, an SL ski, or other? It does ski just fine! Nice collection!

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
The Killy Heat was a recreational ski. I think it was a "Make-Up" ski for Herman's Sporting Goods a big box sports store.

Max Air

Skier
Joal, Hers is Spinnerin (seriously) designed by Gusti (Italian?)
Not that you asked, but I'm sporting the Seattle Co's gear (Roffe pant Demetre Sweater). The R bib was for Rainier Beer and the freestyle event called The Rainier Snowbust. Mike Vowels won a 914 Porsche. He was later paralyzed but just now coming back to the sport 40 years later on a sit ski.

I too think the Killy's are recreational. Killy never met a sponsor he didn't like.
I like Uncle Al, the kiddies pal, comment. If need be, I know the President of K2 during the Mahre days (Oh, did I just mention the Washington again?), Dave Callup. I'll can call and ask. Any other K2 Questions before I do?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ah, yes. Mr Vowels-a-copter.

Mike Vowels. We get to ski with him every year at the Hall of Fame Ceremonies. Mike is unfortunately in wheel chair at this point due to a skiing accident.

Uncle-A

In the words of Paul Simon "You can call me Al"
Skier
Joal, Hers is Spinnerin (seriously) designed by Gusti (Italian?)
Not that you asked, but I'm sporting the Seattle Co's gear (Roffe pant Demetre Sweater). The R bib was for Rainier Beer and the freestyle event called The Rainier Snowbust. Mike Vowels won a 914 Porsche. He was later paralyzed but just now coming back to the sport 40 years later on a sit ski.

I too think the Killy's are recreational. Killy never met a sponsor he didn't like.
I like Uncle Al, the kiddies pal, comment. If need be, I know the President of K2 during the Mahre days (Oh, did I just mention the Washington again?), Dave Callup. I'll can call and ask. Any other K2 Questions before I do?
You are putting a date on your comment about "The kiddies pal" that was a character on "Laugh In" TV show that was a drunken kids show host. Around the same time I became an uncle for the first time. But the nickname of mine was about when I was working in one of the ski shops that was known for giving good discounts. When the customer got a good deal I would just say tell your friends you have an uncle in the business.

Max Air

Skier
Uncle A, there are never enough Uncles in the ski business! Thank you from all us ski bums! I paid retail ONCE in 1977 for my Olin Mark IVs. That was a lot of lawns to mow.
Philpug, Been tracking Vowels for a long time; until recently he was living about 20 miles from me. He is still a fierce competitor. I was paralyzed 24 years ago. Luckily I was given a newer drug (4AP) to block the auto-attack response and got lucky with a combination of alternative healing modalities (~70% recovery, but can walk, ski bumps and still catch a little air).
I wondered where all the old weirdo ski freaks hung out, its here; I feel like I found home :)

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
View attachment 69357
View attachment 69358 View attachment 69359
View attachment 69360
Retro Fools Day 2 Years ago: Stopped this year after the Vail Buyout :(
K2 255 & 255 Ballets
Scott Boots: Not the best for a GS race!
Nice. It was nice of you to carry all the skis, too.

We still have 'Gaper' day at Breck, but it isn't official and staff cannot participate. There was a certain amount of rowdiness that accompanied some earlier April 1st events including, but not limited to, intimidating and aggressive chastising of guests by (presumably) locals letting their hair down (which I noticed you did in that inverted shot. :eek:). Now, as long as you aren't in people's faces with attitude and just ski in retro gear for the sake of 'history' you can still do retro day. Not K2, but...

20150401 epic mix photo..JPG

And Scott boots were great for GS! :facepalm:

Cranmore GS - scott boots, dynamic, look, allsop.jpg

How about the story to go with your avatar and the S1 outfit and kit?

Max Air

Skier
Pic #1: My favorite Raichle of all time! Oddly, I pulled out my Bad Dogs last weekend but went with the Assaults.
Pic #2: I was the area rep for Dynamic for 14 years? I still have my bent 225s and my Jean-Marc Boivan Extreme Skis with Petzl bindings.
Way to go Briggs!

Sponsor