• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
No pictures, but the first pair of K2 skis I ever skied was on my first ever ski trip to Badger Pass in Yosemite. They were black/gray with Spademan bindings that would release if you looked at them cross-eyed. Right around 2000, I bought a pair of K2 skis - a pair of (IIRC) cm K2 X-15 skis. Those were my intro to the world of "shaped" skis, kept them until I went under 190cm with newer skis from Rossi. Fun stuff!

Just to add to the X-15 story, a buddy of mine and I each demoed the X-15 on a ski club Mammoth trip. When we got home, I found a pair of those in 188cm and my buddy Paul found a pair in 195cm. We each bought the ones we found and then swapped them. On a trip to Utah, I didn't take the X-15s, took a pair of RD Bad Dog Speed SLs and after a couple of runs, I asked myself "What the hell were you thinking? Why didn't you take the X-15s?" That was the last day on "straight" skis for me... :)

Last edited:

Mack

Getting off the lift
Skier
Little more K2 skis.
K2 355 -195, 355s -190cm.-- K2 FX 200cm with Marker 3-10 Din -- MSL 207 & 200 cm M41 - M51 Sc 4-12
K2 Extreme 200- 204cm M48 3-10 DIN

MACK
IMG_7264.jpg

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Skied a few pairs of 5500’s during the 8 years of HS and college. I like seeing pics of the skis I spent so many days on back in the day. (should of kept them.....knowing what I see now as collectibles)

NZRob

Skiing the Rock
Skier
Great thread, cool memories.

My K2 crush started in the late 80's with the Mahre twins...watched them in a dual slalom pro event at Alpine Meadows in 89/90...went through two pairs of KVC Comps and two TNC's on pro deals that season (the TNC's seemed very easy to bend). On the way back to NZ from Tahoe we went to the K2 factory on Vashon Island and got shown around, including being awed by their vaunted Triaxial Braiding machine.

Went through Extremes and MSL's before the affair petered out in the mid 90's (Salomon Equipes took over) :)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What is that Comp ? Never saw a Comp that says "Slalom" with the 810 GS graphic and also not have any "numbers' ( 610,710,810, etc) on it.
In that size it was probably a Special Makeup Graphic for a chain store. Not uncommon on that era.

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Question from member @Gatopescado

Any input from the Pugski.com community is appreciated! @Joal, @Mack, @Bill Talbot, @K2 Rat @Royal
(Also I think he is willing to part with that Molnar bag in the background for any of you that have Molnars in you collection).

"KPS Kevlar Pro Staff
I was told they were the "Factory Only" prototype for the 90's KVC. A old race-guy said he picked them up from the factory, used them a time or two then hung them up. 204, bland-ass graphics and a metal skin, unlike the KVC, A little heavier and stiffer.

Ran into me on the chairlift about 15 years ago, and saw I was skiing the KVC (ancient even back then) and asked me if I liked them. I said, "Hell Yeah!"

He says, "Come on down to my house. I got something you'll want to see"

They were perfect! Even correct for my boots! He gave them to me. Been using them since, but have never seen another pair, ever.

What can you tell me?"

K2 Question.jpg

TS
Dave Petersen

Dave Petersen

Graphic Designer/Social Media Manager
Admin
SkiTalk Supporter
Question from member @Gatopescado

Any input from the Pugski.com community is appreciated! @Joal, @Mack, @Bill Talbot, @K2 Rat
(Also I think he is willing to part with that Molnar bag in the background for any of you that have Molnars in you collection).

"KPS Kevlar Pro Staff
I was told they were the "Factory Only" prototype for the 90's KVC. A old race-guy said he picked them up from the factory, used them a time or two then hung them up. 204, bland-ass graphics and a metal skin, unlike the KVC, A little heavier and stiffer.

Ran into me on the chairlift about 15 years ago, and saw I was skiing the KVC (ancient even back then) and asked me if I liked them. I said, "Hell Yeah!"

He says, "Come on down to my house. I got something you'll want to see"

They were perfect! Even correct for my boots! He gave them to me. Been using them since, but have never seen another pair, ever.

What can you tell me?"

View attachment 53948

Early 90s graphics - similar to skis in ads below.
SKIING Oct 1992 - K2 - Pugski - Dave Petersen.jpg
Petersen Collection 4 - Pugski.jpg

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Close to the UVO/5500/4500 from 1988/89
skiing-nov-k2-pugski-dave-petersen-jpg.50375

k2-question-jpg.53948

Mack

Getting off the lift
Skier