• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All in a picture

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
I rarely post pictures of myself skiing, mainly because we are all too busy enjoying our day on the mountain, but also because I usually do not like what I see...
But this summer we went skiing on the Stelvio glacier on one hot sunny August day (jonesing I daresay) and played a bit with pictures and video.
As usual, what I see, I do not like.
But, why?

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Skier
I'been trying, unsuccessfully, to upload it from my phone a few times...sorry.
Sooner or later I will succeed...keep faith

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
I'been trying, unsuccessfully, to upload it from my phone a few times...sorry.
Sooner or later I will succeed...keep faith

I hear ya. It's a challenge on this site. I just upload to Flickr and link to it now.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Like this?
IMG_20161017_155421.jpg

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
Just hit Upload a File before Post Reply. If desired, you can upload to an album in your profile and limit whom may view the media.

Mothertucker

Sweep Dodger
Skier
I attempted a video upload in the same manner and was stymied, but I think it is a file size/quota issue because it was unsuccessful on the laptop as well.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
There was a conversation on ski diva about this, which of course contractually you may not participate in (although I'd suspect it's searchable). One obvious suggestion is that we're not aware of our own skiing flaws. Also that we have been primed with footage of professional athletes, so that our own achievements look timid and tortoise-like in comparison. Also @SBrown I believe suggested that there's something actually inherent in the view from a camera that makes it look worse.

For photos in particular - skiing is a dynamic activity, a series of recoveries. So any one snapshot probably doesn't do a great job of conveying the run. Bear in mind that the photos you see of professionals are taken by professionals, and even then, you're probably seeing the one in a thousand - or more - shot.

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Skier
Just hit Upload a File before Post Reply. If desired, you can upload to an album in your profile and limit whom may view the media.
Did that repetively, ending up un the same way...an empty post window.

I attempted a video upload in the same manner and was stymied, but I think it is a file size/quota issue because it was unsuccessful on the laptop as well.
Pic is well within the dimensions specified.
But you might be onto something here, I'm away from home and have tablet and phone only with me. Both are android devices...
Browser I use is Firefox...

There was a conversation on ski diva about this, which of course contractually you may not participate in (although I'd suspect it's searchable). One obvious suggestion is that we're not aware of our own skiing flaws. Also that we have been primed with footage of professional athletes, so that our own achievements look timid and tortoise-like in comparison. Also @SBrown I believe suggested that there's something actually inherent in the view from a camera that makes it look worse.

For photos in particular - skiing is a dynamic activity, a series of recoveries. So any one snapshot probably doesn't do a great job of conveying the run. Bear in mind that the photos you see of professionals are taken by professionals, and even then, you're probably seeing the one in a thousand - or more - shot.
Yes Monique, that has been discussed many times in the past and I wholeheartedly agree, that is also another reason I do not post action pics...
But what is more troubling is the gact that we also shot video and even there there is something I see in my skiing that...well makes me wonder what's wrong...
For the pictures, I have thought it over in the past days and can inly think that something of my inline skating must have "seeped-through" (I am an italian L1 skating instructor, even if I am a skier through and through). The posture I see in the picture is imho almost matching that of a "passive skating turn" of inline skaters...not an evil thing per se if weight distribution is the correct one at that point of the turn, for a skier and not for a skater, but...

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
I salute your quest for self improvement @Nobody. Set goals, do drills & practice. Hope to see some video.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
There was a conversation on ski diva about this, which of course contractually you may not participate in (although I'd suspect it's searchable). One obvious suggestion is that we're not aware of our own skiing flaws. Also that we have been primed with footage of professional athletes, so that our own achievements look timid and tortoise-like in comparison. Also @SBrown I believe suggested that there's something actually inherent in the view from a camera that makes it look worse...

Well, I think it's kind of the same thing .. we spend so much more time watching pros (and professionally edited video), that our slow grainy amateurish efforts just look that much slower and amateurer.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
"there's something actually inherent in the view from a camera that makes it look worse..."

They say the camera adds 10 lbs.... maybe it takes 10 degrees off our edge angles, 10mph off our speed...

50% off my ego ...

slowrider

Trencher
Skier
Can't let ego get in the way of improvement. Shake it off and get back in the saddle. Or in our case on the Snow. That's where determination comes in. I will get mo'better and have fun damn it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier

cantunamunch

Meh
Skier
Did that repetively, ending up un the same way...an empty post window.

Pic is well within the dimensions specified.
But you might be onto something here, I'm away from home and have tablet and phone only with me. Both are android devices...
Browser I use is Firefox...

Yes Monique, that has been discussed many times in the past and I wholeheartedly agree, that is also another reason I do not post action pics...
But what is more troubling is the gact that we also shot video and even there there is something I see in my skiing that...well makes me wonder what's wrong...
For the pictures, I have thought it over in the past days and can inly think that something of my inline skating must have "seeped-through" (I am an italian L1 skating instructor, even if I am a skier through and through). The posture I see in the picture is imho almost matching that of a "passive skating turn" of inline skaters...not an evil thing per se if weight distribution is the correct one at that point of the turn, for a skier and not for a skater, but...
At least you're not lunge turning :)
Seriously, when I was teaching skating it took 3-4days of gradual pressure transfer before I could really make the ski work again.

Sponsor

Staff online