• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

All in a picture

Spooky

Getting off the lift
Skier
@Nobody Can you try and upload some photos? Firefox has issues with the upload, but I did try to add another that should work without Flash.

I have never had a photo of me skiing. I doubt it looks good compared people that are doing it right..but I still have fun doing it. Regardless, I think one's self image of their actions can be disconnected from physical reality. Things may feel right and look right in your own mind or perspective, but aren't really firing on all cylinders. I think if it is bothering you, don't let shame win; let the knowledgeable folks here nudge you towards something that makes you feel better about it.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Regardless, I think one's self image of their actions can be disconnected from physical reality. Things may feel right and look right in your own mind or perspective, but aren't really firing on all cylinders.

And it waxes and wanes over time. Right now, I'm trying to convince my body to put weight on my right leg. Even when I think that I have more weight on my right leg than my left - bzzzt, wrong! I'm not even 50/50. So having someone watch me, guide me, and put a mirror in front of me is really helpful.

For me, in video and photos, I'm always surprised to see my direction and my stance. I spend more time traversing than I remember, and while I am *not* in the backseat, I'm not forward at all parts of the turn - you can still see that I'm tending away from the fall line. The guidance I got last season is that even if my skis are sideways to the slope to some degree, if snot dripped from my nose, it should drip below the skis. When I have this thought on a steep slope, it's always surprising to realize how much I'm *not* attacking the slope.

Anyway, I'm sure people here could provide some suggestions based on photos and video, but I also suspect @Nobody is getting plenty of feedback right now.

dean_spirito

Freestyle Ski Coach
Skier
In a sequence shot of a turn, most of the images look really awkward. Don't worry, it pretty much happens with everyone. I've found that the best way to capture that perfect moment in the turn is to actually take video. From there you can screenshot the more flattering images.

But as others have mentioned, those classic shots that we see in the magazines involve a professional skier and a professional photographer. Many times the shots are incredibly staged.

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Apparently I am one of the few people on earth who is not surprised by video of myself, whether tennis or skiing. I never have seen soccer footage; that would have been interesting, but I'm not sure "moving pictures" were a thing that long ago.:P In any case, I feel the way I look, but I still don't like it very much. <-- understatement.

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
And it waxes and wanes over time. Right now, I'm trying to convince my body to put weight on my right leg. Even when I think that I have more weight on my right leg than my left - bzzzt, wrong! I'm not even 50/50. So having someone watch me, guide me, and put a mirror in front of me is really helpful.

For me, in video and photos, I'm always surprised to see my direction and my stance. I spend more time traversing than I remember, and while I am *not* in the backseat, I'm not forward at all parts of the turn - you can still see that I'm tending away from the fall line. The guidance I got last season is that even if my skis are sideways to the slope to some degree, if snot dripped from my nose, it should drip below the skis. When I have this thought on a steep slope, it's always surprising to realize how much I'm *not* attacking the slope.

Anyway, I'm sure people here could provide some suggestions based on photos and video, but I also suspect @Nobody is getting plenty of feedback right now.
You can bet on it, Monique, you can bet!

markojp

mtn rep for the gear on my feet
Industry Insider
Instructor
A friend and I made some 5-10 minute edited vids several years ago... All of mine were on teley gear. Honestly, it all came out pretty good, particularly the stuff in really deep snow where you could only see heads. :)

SBrown

So much better than a pro
Skier
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
A friend and I made some 5-10 minute edited vids several years ago... All of mine were on teley gear. Honestly, it all came out pretty good, particularly the stuff in really deep snow where you could only see heads. :)

Now that's the ticket! How does one MA that?? :D

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
@Nobody Can you try and upload some photos? Firefox has issues with the upload, but I did try to add another that should work without Flash.

I have never had a photo of me skiing. I doubt it looks good compared people that are doing it right..but I still have fun doing it. Regardless, I think one's self image of their actions can be disconnected from physical reality. Things may feel right and look right in your own mind or perspective, but aren't really firing on all cylinders. I think if it is bothering you, don't let shame win; let the knowledgeable folks here nudge you towards something that makes you feel better about it.
I will not admit nor deny that I snapped a shot of you skiing last winter. This means that I shouldn't say, you're looking really good on skis to me.

Old boot

Getting on the lift
Skier
I just think its interesting as we work to improve our skiing and we make "break troughs" I mean actual ones not the I think I feel it ones , its like wow why didn't I do that before or understand what people were telling me for 25 years, It seems simple once ya got it LOL. Im gunna try and have one or two of those "am I ever dense " moments this year if I get out enough.
I am never surprised by what the camera shows me (unless its one of those few shots that look good)
Cant wait to struggle down the hill with you all soon!

TS
Nobody

Nobody

Out of my mind, back in five.
Skier
Ook, at long last I made it.
Here it is
img_20160825_013619-jpg.15481

The more I look at it, the less I like what I see. But, at least now, I think I understand what I must not do.

Last edited by a moderator:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
I'd like to get @DoryBreaux's thoughts here. His ability to capture a shot is much better than most of us.
IMG_5422.jpg
fullsizeoutput_58a.jpeg
IMG_5636-Edit.jpg

Philpug1.jpg

Some shots I have gotten lucky with...
fullsizeoutput_43.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1a4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_33f3.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_16f.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4ec.jpeg

Last edited:

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Ook, at long last I made it.
Here it is
full

The more I look at it, the less I like what I see. But, at least now, I think I understand what I must not do.
Are you looking for MA based on this picture?
I'm not great at MA but I am impressed with what I can see of your tracks.

Monique

bounceswoosh
Skier
Picture is broken for me =/

Don in Morrison

I Ski Better on Retro Day
Skier
Amateur skier and amateur photographer, but we did ok. Same guy took the picture of my tip roll. Taken in 1980-ish. Gotta find a new photog; this one has lived in WV for the last 20 years.

intotheabyss-jpg.9369

Doug Briggs

"Douche Bag Local"
Industry Insider
SkiTalk Tester
Here's a lucky one I got of my roommate. It was my first 'drama' shot.

20140430_094414_rot.jpg

A few more frames would have been nice, but this was a first.

This was the next successful one.

20140506_054122_Android.jpg

It was all about timing and distance from the subject to make this work. The phone's camera does the rest.

razie

Sir Shiftsalot
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
It's the range of motion that usually has us surprised at the first photos/videos. Once you realize that the brain exaggerates everything so much, you slowly realign to the reality that the videos present.

I can't emphasize how much video matters for self-improvement. Feedback is the only way to improvement and there is no better feedback loop than seeing ourselves.

cheers

Carl Kuck

Ambassador of Stoke
Skier
*shrug* I always have a look of grim determination on my face when I ski, even though I'm having a blast! For example:

View media item 666
... and this one ...

View media item 1121
(Hey - does anybody know how to just embed a picture from an album without getting all the Media/Information tab stuff? Just the picture?)

Last edited:

Sponsor

Staff online