• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Marker

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Marker, I like your quiver as well for the East Coast. The Elans are a good ski, even if a bit dated.

The thread was about a 3 ski quiver, but I find a 4 ski quiver fits the conditions I ski and my tastes better. I struggled with a East Coast daily driver for quite a while. I finally figured the middle slot "daily driver" needed to be two skis. I like race skis (or race like) for hard snow, especially if I know I will not be going into the woods (lack of snow or too icy) but they aren't my daily driver. A ski like the Brahma makes a very good daily driver for most. I found that it didn't have enough float for someone my size off piste and didn't carve as well as I would like on icy hard snow. So last I year went with the 78mm wide Stockli Laser AX which carves great and is versatile for off piste. Still doesn't float well, but hence the second ski, Liberty Origin 96. Its great in trees, planes up in deep snow, and is pretty light. So Laser AX for hard snow daily driver (will get skied the most) and Origin 96 for soft snow daily driver. Both work well in moguls and trees, so I am covered no matter what. Both actually work well in most any condition, so I could really get by with (Phil cover your ears) a 2 ski quiver, but I like my race skis (I race coach) and I like my powder ski too (admittedly a splurge). Since I don't go out West that often, I have never focused on the 100-120mm wide skis, just skipped them and went with a super wide powder ski. It works for me. I like the line above "Charging crud like I’m on a mission from God". When I am on my super wides, I feel like "I'm on a trampoline from God".
I always check your posts since you're my size and a better skier. Last year I demoed a Dynastar Legend 96 that I could easily fit into a four ski quiver.

Cameron

Out on the slopes
Skier
I'm down to a three ski quiver and I plan to keep it that way....plans do change though. ogwink

DPS Alchemist Cassiar 79 in a 167 - I originally bought this because I wanted something shapely and turny without being as demanding as a race ski but I ski it most days in the midwest.

DPS Alchemist Cassiar 94 in a 178 - I bought the Foundation 94 in a 185 last year but wasn't completely happy with it. I felt I went too long. I use it primarily when I don't have my son with me.

DPS Alchemist Wailer 112 RP 184 - Even thought I don't get out west much these days I regretted selling my hybrid 190s. They were brand new in the wrapper for less than the Foundation version so I couldn't pass them up.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
3 skis is the perfect quiver...well, 4 is an even number...5 is a prime number...6 pair is like having two 3 ski quivers....7 is a lucky number...8? ...Well we do make powder 8's. If you are at 9 pair, you might as well make it 10, 11 does look like two skis. 12 makes an even dozen...13 is a Baker's Dozen....

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
3 skis is the perfect quiver...well, 4 is an even number...5 is a prime number...6 pair is like having two 3 ski quivers....7 is a lucky number...8? ...Well we do make powder 8's. If you are at 9 pair, you might as well make it 10, 11 does look like two skis. 12 makes an even dozen...13 is a Baker's Dozen....
And that my friends is why Trish lets him think he runs this place

Sandy_NYC

Getting off the lift
Skier
3 ski quiver... how about this quiver from the Vermont house of @KingGrump

I lost count of the number of skis, but I did spot a pair of first gen Volkl Kendos in there.

IMG_4202.jpg

crgildart

Gravity Slave
Skier
Bracing for impact....

Not many people south of northern Vermont or east of the rockies "need" a >100 powder ski in a three ski quive
r. Face facts, by the time you get to the bullwheel after that dump of over a foot it will either be skied out or groomed down to nothing.

My 3 ski quiver is pretty much what I roll with. A 186-192 cm mid to high 80s twin. A shorter twin or SL type carver. A bump ski or cheater GS/NASTAR ski.

I might drop in the park and hit some small to medium jumps. I might run the NASTAR gates if open. Anything up to about a foot of fresh, assuming I'm that lucky is more than manageable on an 85-87 192 cm full camber ski... which can also crush crud chunks.

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
Stockli LaserAX
Volkl Mantra M5
Kastle TX 98 (this one may move out to make space for new Volkl Mantra V Werks). Or it may end up as pure touring ski with a skimpy tour binding while the V Werks gets to be a day tour/off piste ski. Binding picture needs to be clarified with these two. So it’s not really 3, but it might be.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
East
  • SL or close cousin (daily driver - firm groomers and the occasional slush bumps orgy)
  • 75-95mm ski with manageable flex and easy pivotability, but tuned with aggressive edge bevels for groomers (packed out old or shallow new natural snow surfaces - bumps, trees, afternoon chop)
  • > 100mm heavily rockered ski for rare pow days, serious heavy crud, 3D snow in trees

West

• 70-80mm carver for dry spells - short
  • 85-100mm daily driver
  • > 100mm heavily rockered ski for pow days, serious heavy crud, 3D snow in trees

KingGrump

Most Interesting Man In The World
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
3 ski quiver... how about this quiver from the Vermont house of @KingGrump

I lost count of the number of skis, but I did spot a pair of first gen Volkl Kendos in there.

View attachment 82776

That is our Vermont boiler plate collection. The western skis are down in the City.
The first gen Kendo is there for Andrew just in case he get blessed with a three foot dump. Those are his powder boards.

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier
East
  • SL or close cousin (daily driver - firm groomers and the occasional slush bumps orgy)
  • 75-95mm ski with manageable flex and easy pivotability, but tuned with aggressive edge bevels for groomers (packed out old or shallow new natural snow surfaces - bumps, trees, afternoon chop)
  • > 100mm heavily rockered ski for rare pow days, serious heavy crud, 3D snow in trees

West

• 70-80mm carver for dry spells - short
  • 85-100mm daily driver
  • > 100mm heavily rockered ski for pow days, serious heavy crud, 3D snow in trees

Tony - The differences in width between the East and West you posted got me thinking about what I actually use "out West". I think sometimes skiers assume that we just have fantastic conditions everyday, but we have lots of days without new snow.

So I looked at my data from last season and here's how it played out. Note that I'm using the same categories as from my previous post in this thread and I skied 68 days last season.
  1. Hard-Pack skis = 48%
  2. Narrow All-Mountain skis = 22%
  3. Regular All-Mountain skis = 4%
  4. Wide All-Mountain skis = 20%
  5. Deep-Snow skis = 6%
Of course this data is somewhat skewed because I didn't have any great skis sitting in the Regular All-Mountain category. I think I would have grabbed those more often than the Narrow A-M if I had something I wanted to ski more. But still, I skied on skis with less than 85mm waist widths 70% of the time. And I honestly grabbed what I felt was appropriate for the conditions of the day each time.

So it's interesting (at least to me). I hadn't ever run those calculations before for any season. And last season we had a great snow year.

Ron

Seeking the next best ski
SkiTalk Tester
are we over the notion of a 3 ski quiver yet? :).

Stockli AX- hard snow rippin around groomer days and no new snow days. Can take this anywhere
Liberty V92 my everyday ski , takes me from soft groomers to a several inches fresh, great bump ski anywhere I choose to ski
Liberty Evolv 100- crud ski, several inches of leftover ski, skiing bowls and steeps, 4-8" of fresh (actually much deeper)
Renoun Citadel- Pow ski. after testing some 105's last season, I loved that extra float over the 96 underfoot especially on low angle pow shots . still did not feel sluggish or slow.
Liberty 112- Sick deep, heavy snow

Still haven't decided if keeping- Liberty Origin 96. this was my pow ski all last year and its pretty awesome. May keep this for those 6"-10" days which are frequent here but will need to evaluate the Evolv 100 for fun factor.

GregK

Skiing the powder
Skier
45142EFB-6A69-4554-8149-C95B1481CD89.png
PugSki members who visit TGR forums might have seen this quiver posted the other day. I took a screen shot of it to show to anyone who EVER DARES to complain I have too many skis. Members over there have shown their spouses this pic too in order to safely increase their own quivers. Lol
Insane collection of big mountain skis.

Wendy

Resurrecting the Oxford comma
Admin
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 82849 PugSki members who visit TGR forums might have seen this quiver posted the other day. I took a screen shot of it to show to anyone who EVER DARES to complain I have too many skis. Members over there have shown their spouses this pic too in order to safely increase their own quivers. Lol

WHA??? That looks like the ski inventory count at my ski shop.

pchewn

Skiing the powder
Skier
Make Model Length Radius Tip Waist Tail

CoreUpt Banger 180 19 131 110 127 For powder/new snow. Use: about 25%
Salomon QST 177 17 128 85 113 For everyday all mountain Use: about 75%
Hart Boss 166 ?? 95 61 95 For moguls. Use: rarely, didn't find moguls last season

Skiing in the pacific NW (mostly Mt Hood)

David Chaus

Beyond Help
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
View attachment 82849 PugSki members who visit TGR forums might have seen this quiver posted the other day. I took a screen shot of it to show to anyone who EVER DARES to complain I have too many skis. Members over there have shown their spouses this pic too in order to safely increase their own quivers. Lol

You know, there really isn’t any quiver overlap there.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I was not at my most awake last night when I put up my post above. Meant to clarify that I was posting thoughts about the general characteristics of skis that I personally think are useful, east and west. I intentionally did not post my specific skis because I figured that would confuse aspects of ski choice that might be driven by skier size, for example (not of general interest), rather than those driven by environment (which I think is on topic).

Tony - The differences in width between the East and West you posted got me thinking about what I actually use "out West". I think sometimes skiers assume that we just have fantastic conditions everyday, but we have lots of days without new snow.

Yeah, I absolutely know about low tide in the west. Had my share of those days, especially as someone who pretty much has to plan cross-continental trips way in advance.

The difference, I think, is more about available terrain than about "conditions." Here in New England we have many, many days where skiing ungroomed snow - whether it's bumps or true off-piste - is simply not available*. In other words, groomers are the only game in town. My experience in the west, though admittedly much more limited than yours, is that most days you can ski certain mogul runs or glades if you want to, even if the surface might not be ideal. For this reason, I want to be on a ski that is decent in bumps and trees and in ungroomed snow (even if it's bad ungroomed snow). To me that means something with a softer tip, a more release-friendly tail, and slightly more width than a slalom ski.

I acknowledge that you, as someone who gets to ski good ungroomed terrain a lot, may have a different perspective, and elect to stick to groomers on days when the off-piste is marginal. As a desperate easterner, though, when I go west I'm damned if I'm going to do the same thing I'm forced to do at home all the time.

* Some reasons why off-piste is not available:
  • Not enough cover. We get less of it here. (Yes, Josh, I know. Mount Mansfield gets plenty. Not talking about that.)
  • Late cover. It just comes later here, due to the Atlantic influence. (Ocean cools much slower than land.)
  • Rain. We get a lot of rain. Often. After the rain, it freezes. This typically happens hours (not days) after the rain. Then nothing ungroomed is skiable until the next snowstorm.
  • Major thaws and refreezes. Same effect as rain. (In the Rockies you can have a 40 or 45 degree day with no ill effects on the surface. Here, due to the humidity of air and snow, you wake up the next day to a skating rink.)

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

How does that person ski the ones with no bindings?

Sponsor

Staff online