• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

23/24 Gear Preview ... the non BOA edition.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
But if their aftermarket sales wee so weak then how does Intuition and Zipfit make a go of it? And they both carry several different versions of liners as well? I'm not convinced ski boot companies couldn't viably sell replacement liners.
These boot brands just need to take an interest and step up to the plate with products that bring meaningful solutions to skiers’ needs. That was our strategy.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
These boot brands just need to take an interest and step up to the plate with products that bring meaningful solutions to skiers’ needs. That was our strategy.

^ 100%

Screenshot 2023-02-21 at 12.43.11 PM.png

^ Now this is what I'm talking about and it's not the wire cross laced clog. That toe shape is a step in the right direction, I've obviously yet to try one on but it looks good:)

Tony Storaro

Glorified Tobogganer
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Oh, and that line about not wanting to infringe on the liner aftermarket is BS. They're lazy AND they don't want to hurt their sales by discouraging the planned obsolescence they've created in their product lineup. There's really no excuse for it, its capitalistic greed at its finest.

Also, a bit shortsighted. If you make a liner which is superior to the others, other brand users will want to buy it and with time will want to buy your shells as well.

Example: Atomic CS 130 stock liner is so good and the adjustable tongue is so fantastic that I want to use it in my Lange shells as well.
And Atomic do sell it aftermarket.

So, that's 50 points for Gryffindor....ermm I mean @onenerdykid :ogbiggrin:

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
^ 100%

View attachment 193445

^ Now this is what I'm talking about and it's not the wire cross laced clog. That toe shape is a step in the right direction, I've obviously yet to try one on but it looks good:)
Other than the interesting stuff on the Lange Shadow's, this is the single best boot design improvement I've ever seen. Imagine, a boot that is shaped like a foot... its unfathomable.

onenerdykid

Product Manager, Atomic Ski Boots
Masterfit Bootfitter
Manufacturer
Other than the interesting stuff on the Lange Shadow's, this is the single best boot design improvement I've ever seen. Imagine, a boot that is shaped like a foot... its unfathomable.
Just remember that the outside shape you see is not a direct reflection of what is happening on the inside of the boot. We've scanned many boots that look like they have a big-toe-friendly toe box but it's just external design and the last doesn't have the same shape. Conversely, there are boots that have a very big-toe-friendly last, but it's not reflected in the external design due to whatever reason the brand has for doing it (I still have to sit in incredibly annoying design review meetings about how a boot doesn't look aggressive enough :doh: ).

TL/DR: don't judge a toe box by what you see.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
Just remember that the outside shape you see is not a direct reflection of what is happening on the inside of the boot. We've scanned many boots that look like they have a big-toe-friendly toe box but it's just external design and the last doesn't have the same shape. Conversely, there are boots that have a very big-toe-friendly last, but it's not reflected in the external design due to whatever reason the brand has for doing it (I still have to sit in incredibly annoying design review meetings about how a boot doesn't look aggressive enough :doh: ).

TL/DR: don't judge a toe box by what you see.
"You have to make the boots MORE SEXY. Sexy sells!"

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
My feeling is there really hasn't been any major new ski technology for several years.

How have you missed Keyhole Technology?!?! :geek:

But if their aftermarket sales wee so weak then how does Intuition and Zipfit make a go of it?

OEM liner sales are weak because Intuition and Zipfit liners work so well. For me, all three pair of boots I outfitted with Intuition liners became better boots. Warmer, with a more precise and more firm fit, so less buckle tension required = yet again firmer.

Also, OEM lineers are difficult to buy. IMO the OEM boot cos should support their dealers when it comes to boot sales, but just go ahead and offer replacement liners direct, for gosh sakes.

Atomic, with their excellent and easy to order Mimic liners is excused from the above criticisms. ogsmile

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
"You have to make the boots MORE SEXY. Sexy sells!"
This is why there are boot soles are rounded and not flat. because they look better and are not bootfitter friendly for canting.

1677109882501.png

Sponsor

Staff online