• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

23/24 Gear Preview ... the non BOA edition.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
After seeing Ski Essential's review of the Rossi Forzas, I am pretty interested.....
As well you should be. More to come shortly... :ogbiggrin:

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
While all the attention in boots seems to be the introduction of BOA, it seems the new Lange shadows are just as significant of an introduction based on early reviews.

I am glad that a lot of ski companies are not hyping up next year's skis. My feeling is there really hasn't been any major new ski technology for several years. The changes to models and /or introduction of new models amount to different skis, but not necessarily better skis depending on personal preference.

Andy Mink

Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
Crazy looking tip on the forza, but the guy in the shop said it skied well.
Reviews to come but, for the time being, yes. The Forza collection skis well.

Lorenzzo

Be The Snow
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
While all the attention in boots seems to be the introduction of BOA, it seems the new Lange shadows are just as significant of an introduction based on early reviews.

I am glad that a lot of ski companies are not hyping up next year's skis. My feeling is there really hasn't been any major new ski technology for several years. The changes to models and /or introduction of new models amount to different skis, but not necessarily better skis depending on personal preference.
That will all change with integrated BOA bindings that will wrap your boots better.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Man... I just gotta say, Elan is putting out some absolutely gorgeous topsheets. I finally saw some of these out in the wild and the colors just have a hue to them that's hard to describe unless you see them in sunlight. That blue/green and blue/orange is stunning.
they do look very good.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Here is a video preview of the Lange Shadow

As a Lange fanboi this is by far the new product I'm most excited to hear about. Since you spend some time on the new liner I am going to rant that it absolutely drives me crazy that ski boot companies don't sell replacement liners. It's great to hear about the new liners in the shadow, but the whole time I'm hearing about it I keep thinking in the back of my mind what happens when it packs out and I want another one.

The new boot has definitely piqued my interest. I trust Lange wouldn't replace the RX line with the Shadow line unless they felt the new boots are meaningfully different and better.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
As a Lange fanboi this is by far the new product I'm most excited to hear about. Since you spend some time on the new liner I am going to rant that it absolutely drives me crazy that ski boot companies don't sell replacement liners. It's great to hear about the new liners in the shadow, but the whole time I'm hearing about it I keep thinking in the back of my mind what happens when it packs out and I want another one.

The new boot has definitely piqued my interest. I trust Lange wouldn't replace the RX line with the Shadow line unless they felt the new boots are meaningfully different and better.
Honestly, do what I do my friend... Send their customer service reps polite but direct emails expressing your frustration with not only the lack of option of buying a replacement liner, but the fact that in this day and age, in an industry more affected by climate change than most others, they aren't helping solve the issue of excessive waste generation by giving you an option to extend the life of your shells. I've sent this very message to Roxa probably 3 times over the last 3 years.

Oh, and that line about not wanting to infringe on the liner aftermarket is BS. They're lazy AND they don't want to hurt their sales by discouraging the planned obsolescence they've created in their product lineup. There's really no excuse for it, its capitalistic greed at its finest.

...now that I got that speech out of the way, Roxa gave me the heads up that the R/Fit series is going to see new colorways this season but with the same features as the previous 2 years. Black/Gray was the color combo I was told for the 130 series boots.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
Honestly, do what I do my friend... Send their customer service reps polite but direct emails expressing your frustration with not only the lack of option of buying a replacement liner, but the fact that in this day and age, in an industry more affected by climate change than most others, they aren't helping solve the issue of excessive waste generation by giving you an option to extend the life of your shells. I've sent this very message to Roxa probably 3 times over the last 3 years.

Oh, and that line about not wanting to infringe on the liner aftermarket is BS. They're lazy AND they don't want to hurt their sales by discouraging the planned obsolescence they've created in their product lineup. There's really no excuse for it, its capitalistic greed at its finest.

...now that I got that speech out of the way, Roxa gave me the heads up that the R/Fit series is going to see new colorways this season but with the same features as the previous 2 years. Black/Gray was the color combo I was told for the 130 series boots.
Thank you! When my RX liners packed out I spent a considerable amount of time and money working with boot fitters trying to get various after market Intuition liners to work. It would have been cheaper to buy a new pair of RX boots but I was stubborn and wanted to try and make it work because I thought it was ridiculous to have to buy a new pair of boots for a liner that was packed out. I never could get anything to work for me at all except finding someone on Ebay selling a brand new Lange liner. Put it in the boot and voila, perfect without any heat molding necessary.

It's absolute bulljive that boot companies don't actively sell replacement liners. And @Philpug every time you talk to a boot company about their liner, I hope you bring up this issue and complaint.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
It's absolute bulljive that boot companies don't actively sell replacement liners. And @Philpug every time you talk to a boot company about their liner, I hope you bring up this issue and complaint.
I know Tecnica and Nordica used to have liners available on their website but honestly they sales were more than a dozen a year.

Jeronimo

Out on the slopes
Skier
I know Tecnica and Nordica used to have liners available on their website but honestly they sales were more than a dozen a year.
Jeez, maybe we're the problem after all. Consumers are probably just opting to replace the whole boot anyway. I hadn't considered that before. That makes me very sad.

TS
Philpug

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Jeez, maybe we're the problem after all. Consumers are probably just opting to replace the whole boot anyway. I hadn't considered that before. That makes me very sad.
If I have a product that is wearing out before what it's perceived life should be ... I am not going to replace it with the same, but upgrade it. This is where Intuition and Zipfit come in and have a viable place in the market.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Thank you! When my RX liners packed out I spent a considerable amount of time and money working with boot fitters trying to get various after market Intuition liners to work. It would have been cheaper to buy a new pair of RX boots but I was stubborn and wanted to try and make it work because I thought it was ridiculous to have to buy a new pair of boots for a liner that was packed out. I never could get anything to work for me at all except finding someone on Ebay selling a brand new Lange liner. Put it in the boot and voila, perfect without any heat molding necessary.

The ZipFit liners are so superior to ANY stock liner and will last 10X longer. They will change your ski life. They have like 10 models..there is certainly one that will work for you. This is just like getting a running shoe....throw out the footbed and put in something that works for your foot. In this case..if the Lange liner is that good (I ski in Langes with zip fits) you get the benefit of not having to buy your ZipFit until the stock liner packs out.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
The ZipFit liners are so superior to ANY stock liner and will last 10X longer. They will change your ski life. They have like 10 models..there is certainly one that will work for you. This is just like getting a running shoe....throw out the footbed and put in something that works for your foot. In this case..if the Lange liner is that good (I ski in Langes with zip fits) you get the benefit of not having to buy your ZipFit until the stock liner packs out.
I was going to suck up the price and tried to actually buy some but the shop said they were sold out of my size (26.5). I wonder if them supplying Fischer boots has resulted in a supply crunch.

The out of the box fit of the Lange RX with stock liner are so good for me it's tough to swallow dealing with the added inconvenience of lace up style liner. But next time my liner packs out I'm going to try a zipfit and see what you and others keep raving about.

Wasatchman

over the hill
Skier
But if their aftermarket sales wee so weak then how does Intuition and Zipfit make a go of it? And they both carry several different versions of liners as well? I'm not convinced ski boot companies couldn't viably sell replacement liners.

locknload

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I was going to suck up the price and tried to actually buy some but the shop said they were sold out of my size (26.5). I wonder if them supplying Fischer boots has resulted in a supply crunch.

The out of the box fit of the Lange RX with stock liner are so good for me it's tough to swallow dealing with the added inconvenience of lace up style liner. But next time my liner packs out I'm going to try a zipfit and see what you and others keep raving about.
I feel you. As a fellow Lange fan-boy this was a lesson I was slow to learn. It also sucks to pay for an expensive, top of the line boot and then feel like you have to add the cost of an aftermarket liner. That's why its great to use up the stock liner and get your money's worth first. As for the laces, they are gone from my ZipFits...no need for them. I kept the velcro strap across the shin on there and took out the laces..you do not need them and they get in the way. With them removed, you can you much more easily get your foot in and out of the boot without the laces constricting how wide the liner can open up. Exactly the same control, fit and feel once the shell buckles are in place. Laces are a good idea in concept if you are using them in your AT boots but have zero use in the resort and get in the way.

Sponsor

Staff online