• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 New England Gathering discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
Since the 2020 version fizzled out and we can't go skiing, why don't we start thinking about where we want to hold the 2021 version.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier
Kevin, thank you for your efforts.

For next season, I vote for hitting the 3 S's in Maine.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter

MarkP

Saturday, and Saturday, and Saturday...
Skier

I'm thinking all three are maybe too spread out... and that just Saddleback and Sugarloaf would make more sense.

And has precedent behind it as well...

(Common) Sense and (following) precedent are two concepts not often associated with me.

Though...

My one ski trip into Maine did involve only two of the S's (Sugarloaf and Sunday River, back in 2010), so two again would follow precedent.

It probably does make sense to limit the official gathering to two mountains simply for logistics.

Assuming most potential attendees are not living in northern Maine, the too spread out argument isn't very strong. Flying or driving up puts Sunday River reasonably into travel paths. Given the travel distance for me, it seems to make sense to extend my time and hit other places whether part of the Gathering or not.

1585185658132.png

If only Southwest's fare sale extended through next March it would make sense to buy now. I haven't seen $49 from BWI to PWM (or MHT) since the last big downturn.

1585183583684.png

frontfive

Ski Adventure 19/20
Contributor
Could always potentially fly into Manchester NH, & easily detour up 93 or across & up Rt 16. Its about a 90 minute difference between Manch & Portland & way easier than flying into Boston

James

Out There
Instructor
Actually, following the Olympics pattern, won't we be having the 2020 NEG next year? ;)
Yep. And if there’s s tie for first we’re still awarding 2nd and third.

Kevin, thank you for your efforts.

Bad idea. I like it. We could always do the third place for those who are there longer.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Bad idea. I like it.

You really need to make this your tag line, rather than the somewhat banal "Skiing the powder".

I also like your trendsetting decision to refer to the area that is not Sugarloaf or Saddleback as "the third place." I suspect @KevinF will also approve.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
I think we should make sure that Saddleback is actually going to spin a lift this coming season -- especially in the light of the current health crisis -- before we all get too excited at the idea of a Maine gathering in 2021. That said, I was planning on reaching out to Saddleback for some more particulars about what exactly they anticipate "doing" this coming season.

Saddleback and Sugarloaf are reasonably close to each other (approximately an hour); we did that trip before. An hour's gap is in keeping with the multiple Vermont destinations as well (i.e., Stowe / Smuggs or Stowe / Sugarbush). However, Sunday River is effectively farther away than it would appear on the map. "Ayuh, but ya can't get theyah from heah" comes to mind.

One aspect of a Maine gathering is lodging -- there isn't much of it up there, or at least there wasn't when we had the previous Maine gathering. If you stay at one place (probably Sugarloaf area), then you're looking at an hour+ of driving to reach Saddleback and more to reach Sunday River. You'd be doing a LOT of driving on top of all the driving just to get to Maine in the first place.

The remoteness of Saddleback and Sugarloaf presents more logistical challenges than we experience in Vermont. That said, I do hope that another Maine Gathering can be arranged, so I like that people are already thinking about it.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
^^^
Concise and well considered.

TS
KevinF

KevinF

Team Gathermeister
Since the 2020 version fizzled out and we can't go skiing, why don't we start thinking about where we want to hold the 2021 version.

James

Out There
Instructor
That’s been decided for weeks. Unless there’s an issue that crops up with that returning ski area.
Look upthread for a map.

Scruffy

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I'm game for a SaddleBack , Sunday River, Sugarloaf tour, but then again, I'm game for anywhere in the NE.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online