• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

2021 New England Gathering discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laurel Hill Crazie

AKA Rob Davis
Skier
Sugarloaf was to be a stop on my NE tour which should have been happening now. Too early to make plans for next season. We will not commit to any national passes until this virus runs its course and a vaccine is ready. Far too risky for my wife's underlying medical conditions.

Tony S

I have a confusion to make ...
Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I envision a time in six months or so when we might attempt to get a sense of who is serious about travelling where. At that time we might be better able to ground the conversation in practical reality. While we can have fun fantasizing before then, it's probably smart to wait til the fall to make an actual decision, notwithstanding James's glib remarks about it having been decided.

Much as I naturally like the idea of a Maine gathering, there is a specific real situation I want to avoid. That is where a bunch of people just talking, far ahead of when any actual action needs to be taken, decide on something that sounds cool in the abstract. Then when it comes time for the rubber to hit the road, people start Googling how long it's really going to take them to get to Sugarloaf vs., say, Killington, and all of a sudden 80% of the people on the roll call start finding reasons why they can't attend after all.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
I am up for Saddleback ( never been) love Sugarloaf, Sunday River on a weekend not so much

You haven't been reading closely, @Brad J . What you meant to say was:

"I am up for Saddleback ( never been) love Sugarloaf, the third place on a weekend not so much"

James

Out There
Instructor
What’s wrong with the gypsy approach? Make camp in Bethel, ski the third place, special attention to Oz, move on.
Or, following contamination protocol, everyone sleeps in their car.

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
redacted

Last edited:

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Just a consideration. I am not sure how many people come the NEG from the Mid Atlantic, but that trek up to Saddleback/Sugarloaf will be one heck of a trek. I know I never went to the Loaf when I lived in PA because of the distance. Granted the MA has their own mini Gathering but I know many try to hit the NEG too. Just a consideration. @dbostedo, @jimmy @JohnL, thoughts?

Tony S

Skier
Team Gathermeister
SkiTalk Supporter
Then when it comes time for the rubber to hit the road, people start Googling how long it's really going to take them to get to Sugarloaf vs., say, Killington, and all of a sudden 80% of the people on the roll call start finding reasons why they can't attend after all.
Just a consideration. I am not sure how many people come the NEG from the Mid Atlantic, but that trek up to Saddleback/Sugarloaf will be one heck of a trek. I know I never went to the Loaf when I lived in PA because of the distance. Granted the MA has their own mini Gathering but I know many try to hit the NEG too. Just a consideration. @dbostedo, @jimmy @JohnL, thoughts?

That was fast.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
You really need to make this your tag line, rather than the somewhat banal "Skiing the powder".

I also like your trendsetting decision to refer to the area that is not Sugarloaf or Saddleback as "the third place." I suspect @KevinF will also approve.

I thought @James and @mdf were the co-founders of The Ministry of Bad Ideas?

FWIW, I would be willing to sponsor the Brutahs from different Mutahs tour of Tony S. and Donny Pelletier.

JohnL

Working and turning
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter

I vote the 2020 NEG should be held in March 2021 at Killington.
And the 2021 NEG should be held in April 2021 in ME.

:ogbiggrin:

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
Personally, I think it would be doable for me, though far. I'd likely be driving from Merrimack, NH - about 4:45 to Sugarloaf. For reference, Stowe is about 2:45, so it is quite a bit further. But I usually take some vacation time for ski weekends, so could probably take a few extra hours to get up there.

James

Out There
Instructor
No question Maine is beyond the twilight zone of NH. So, even if people start the journey, who knows where they end up. Apparently in 2020.

Reactions: mdf

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
I’m coming next year no matter where it is. This year's short season has me thinking 2 things: 1) I ain’t getting any younger and 2) regardless of age we don’t know how long we can ski so we should do it while we can.

Coach13

Making fresh tracks
Skier
NEG would have to become Northeast Gathering.

We could also consider Gore or Whiteface, but per Philpug’s geography, that would be the Mid Atlantic Gathering. :geek:

The Mid-Atlantic gathering has to be at Timberline right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online

• Winks
    Something has gone terribly wrong
  • Andy Mink
    Everyone loves spring skiing but not in January
  • Philpug
    Notorious P.U.G.