• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

SkiTalk Test Team

Testing skis so you don't have to.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
6c7a78139001ddf5e29bac7a6814dfda.png

19 Deaon 74 TC.png
Völkl Deacon 74
Dimensions: 125-74-104
Radius: 16m@173cm
Sizes: 163, 168, 173, 178
Size tested: 178
Design: All New

Drahtguy Kevin: Volkl introduced these new skis with a big online campaign. I was excited to see what the big deal was. Both models have the same damp, quiet ride that is solid yet forgiving of errors. They hold the turn well but offer no real bang for your buck at the end. The Deacons felt noticeably heavier than most other skis in this category.
  • Who are they for? Intermediates and above who want a fast and mellow ride.
  • Who are they not for? Skiers looking for a high-performance feel.
  • Insider tip: The UVO puck on the tip works to quiet the ski.

UGASkiDawg: The Deacon is a new high-performance frontside piste ski from Volkl. It rewards good technique and desires to be driven at all times.
  • Who is it for? Skiers who love that Völkl feel and have the chops to stay on top of a damp, high-performance frontside ripper.
  • Who is not for? Those who would rather ride a ski rather than drive it.
  • Insider tip: Don’t expect a poppy ride but a stable, predictable ski with no speed limit.

19 Deacon 76 TC.png
Völkl Deacon 76
Dimensions: 122-76-103
Radius: 18.3m@176cm
Sizes: 171, 176, 181
Size tested: 176

Ron: I couldn't help but think of Steely Dan's "Deacon Blues" when I clicked into the new Volkl. Hmm, jazz and Völkl? Yeah, not so much but here's where they are similar, smooth, powerful, and exacting. I think there are some differing opinions amongst the testers, but I really like this ski. The 76 has a great on-snow feel. The tip engages so smoothly yet is precise; once engaged, it pulled me through the turn and I could feel the entire length of the ski. The tail is fairly stiff but was workable and when you wanted it to release, it was compliant. The 76 is damp, stable, and glued to the snow. It does like speed but is manageable and responsive enough at slower speeds. This ski has a lot of energy but it's not exactly a two-year-old golden retriever. It is much more serious in a very good way but still has enough "fun" to it. I could own this ski.
  • Who is it for? Those with skills who want a smooth, precise carver. Those who prefer a more calm and predictable ski capable of high speeds.
  • Who is it not for? Intermediates should go elsewhere, as those who are looking for pop and liveliness.
  • Insider tip: The 175 will be plenty of ski for most. This is a damn fine ski.

Doug Briggs: The Völkl Deacon 76 is a fun ski for those who like to charge on the slopes. It has an easy-to-find sweet spot, but does require more input than skis like the Rossi Hero Elite MT Ti. Grip is good, and the ride is exciting.
  • Who is it for? Skiers who like a performance ski with plenty of snap.
  • Who is it not for? Anyone who won't take charge.
  • Insider tip: The ski requires input; you need to stay centered.
Philpug: Are you serious? No, not you Völkl, you the consumer? If so, how serious? Just serious? Or serious-as-a-heart-attack* serious? Well, Völkl has a new collection of skis that covers all aspects. I will start with the heart-attack-serious version, the Deacon Pro, because it has Marker's piston plate on it, the same plate Marcel Hirscher uses in the World Cup. No, I didn’t get to ski it, but I want to.

We did get to ski on the consumer versions of the Deacon, the 74 and 76. These skis go back to the heritage of the older Racetigers, nice and strong hard-snow skis, much more so than the Codes. They felt a bit sluggish at lower speeds but solid once you got them going. It is nice to see a simple sandwich construction return from Völkl.
  • Who is the 74 for? Simple, short-radius turners; East Coast skiers.
  • Who is the 76 for? Even simpler, long-radius turners; West Coast skiers.
  • Who are they not for? Those who prefer a lively, overly reactive ski.
  • Insider tip: Go for the Pro if you want to get the nth degree out of the Deacon, with the Marker race plate and a base that is race finished. I did notice a little chatter from the UVO, but that could have been because they were early-production skis.
*No one actually suffered a heart attack during either the testing of the skis or the writing of this review.

1819_RTM81.png
Völkl RTM 81
Dimensions: 128-81-109
Radius: 17.9m@177cm
Sizes: 156, 163, 170, 177, 182
Size tested: 177
Design: Carryover/NGT

Drahtguy Kevin: (from last year) Völkl tweaked the build of this ski and made it better. The added fiberglass increased the stability and feel. The stated 17.9m radius is easily manipulated shorter or longer. Cruise? Sure. Dial it up and arc? Why not. Bumps? Bring 'em on. I couldn’t find a thing this ski couldn’t handle admirably.
  • Who is it for? Skiers wanting to Ride The Mountain.
  • Who is it not for? Powder hounds.
  • Insider tip: Click in and enjoy the show.
1819_RTM84.png
Völkl RTM 84 UVO
Dimensions: 131-84-112
Radius: 17.9m@177cm
Sizes: 162, 167, 172, 177, 182
Size Tested: 177
Design: New Construction

UGASkiDawg: (from last year) Now this is the Völkl I remember, lots of power and edgehold, and great fun when you paid attention. It was like a freight train running down the mountain, always wanting to go faster and faster. I did not take this thing into the bumps but I can guess the 177 would have been for a handful for me. It’s not more powerful than an MX84/89 or Monster 88, which are two comparable skis, but for me it was more demanding. It is a brute force engine of destruction if you’ve got the skills!
  • Who is it for? If you looking to get from the top to the bottom in a hurry across all types of terrain and you love to be challenged and rewarded in equal measures, this is the ski for you!
  • Who is it not for? Anyone who doesn’t like to go fast.
  • Insider tip: If you are a finesse skier, size down.

19 RTM 86 TC.png
Völkl RTM 86 UVO
Dimensions: 132-86-114
Radius: 18.1m@177cm
Sizes: 167, 172, 177, 182
Size tested: 177

Drahtguy Kevin: (from last year)The new build benefits the 86 as much as it did the 81. The 86 adds the UVO stabilizer near the tip, and it is noticeable. The silky feel increases as speed is ramped up. Entering and exiting turns caused giggles of delight. The power, stability, and edgehold made me want to reach deeper in all areas and snow conditions I took her through. Did I mention the silky feel? Where’s my extra money ….
  • Who is it for? Skiers looking to explore every inch of the mountain.
  • Who is it not for? Snowboarders. Hell, they'd probably like this ski, too.
  • Insider tip: Skis like this can spoil a fella.

1819_Kanjo.png
Völkl Kanjo
Dimensions: 123-83-104
Radius: 21.6m@182cm
Sizes: 154, 161, 168, 175, 182

FairToMiddlin (182): (from last year) The Kanjo has a stated sidecut of 21.6 m, and it feels every bit of it. At 84 mm underfoot, it is a bit of a head-scratcher. In my voice memo, I called it “the most leisurely all mountain ski." Most skis this width are tighter turning by design, but the Kanjo requires some additional steering to keep down, or some extra room to roam. It wants to motor. Motoring is pleasant on the Kanjo, however; it has a strong, damp construction and feels stable at speed and in choppy off-piste conditions, like Sail Away Glades.
  • Who is it for? Off-piste aficionados who prefer a narrower ski. Imagine a current Bonafide that is 84 mm underfoot.
  • Who is it not for? All-mountain skiers who have a strong focus on the front side -- unless you’re a midweek skier with lots of space to yourself.
  • Insider tip: You might have guessed by now, the Kanjo skis long. Feel free to size down without worrying if you will end up with a skittish ride.
Philpug (175): (from last year) Völkl, Völkl, Völkl … we were getting along so well ever since you started offering your very good 3D Ridge skis. For years, we have asked for years, for a men’s version of the Yumi. But of the old Yumi. Seriously, a 19.6m radius on a 175cm ski for an intermediate to advanced skier? No. This isn’t a men’s Yumi, it is a Kendo lite. The new Kanjo (a name to misspell, mispronounce, and most importantly miss the target). Ladies, this goes for the new Yumi, too. To quote our commander in chief, “Sad, very sad.”
  • Who is it for? Skiers who aren’t strong enough to ski a Kendo.
  • Who is it not for? Intermediates, this is a ski that skis big.
  • Insider tip: Not the playful ski that we wanted.

19 M5 Mantra TC.png
Völkl M5 Mantra
Dimensions: 134-96-117
Radius: 19.8m@177cm
Sizes: 170, 177, 184, 191
Sizes tested: 177, 184

Philpug: First, the good: Völkl did everything right with the new M5 Mantra. It went back to its roots and narrowed the ski, to 96 mm underfoot. It made the flex more balanced, tightened the turn radius, and, most important, brought back camber. These are all positives, the ingredients for a great all-mountain ski. So the M5 should be a winner, right? I know I was excited to get on it ....

Not so fast. The jury is still out for me. I don't like saying it, but occasionally there are skis that I just cannot figure out, and the M5 is one of them. I really wanted to like this new Völkl, but for some reason we did not get along. Trust me, it was not for lack of trying. I skied it at Copper, Snowbasin, Mammoth, and Mt Rose. I skied it in the 177 and 184. I skied it with the bindings fore and aft. So, four mountains, four types of snow, two sizes, and three mount points. Nothing.

I have never been more frustrated with a ski that I know is supposed to be good. So, until the light bulb goes off for me, you will need to rely on other reviewers' opinions about the M5.
  • Who is it for? Those who long for the first-generation Mantra, a truly trend-setting ski.
  • Who is it not for? While the new M5 is more accessible, it is still not a ski for the meek.
  • Insider tip: Sell your Mantras that are 98mm and above and put your order in now. Daddy’s home. Oh, and look for the upcoming M4 to replace the Kendo.
Drahtguy Kevin: A totally new Mantra welcomes camber back to the build. Groomers were sensational atop the M5 with great initiation and an energetic exit. Multiple turn shapes were a snap. The softened tip caused some dismay off piste as it deflected easily in heavier crud. The M5 embraces the “build 'em light” mantra, making this ski feel much narrower than the 96 mm it is.
  • Who is it for? Skiers who spend most of their time on groomers but like to try the trees and bumps on occasion.
  • Who is it not for? Chargers who live off piste. The ski may not have the spine you desire.
  • Insider tip: The inclusion of camber puts this ski back on the path to greatness.

1819_100Eight.png
Völkl 100Eight
Dimensions: 141-108-124
Radius: 22m@181cm
Sizes: 173, 181, 189
Size tested: 189

Drahtguy Kevin: (from last year) As with the RTM models, the 100Eight got a fiberglass wrap-around. It is noticeable on hard pack – not what the ski is built for – but not so much in softer snow, bumps, and trees. With zero camber, the 24.5m (189cm) radius doesn’t really apply, at least not for me. The pivoty nature of the 100Eight leads to a narrower feel while its grip is marvelous when desired. Another ski for the “to buy” list.
  • Who is it for? Fun-seekers willing to investigate stashes.
  • Who is it not for? The unimaginative.
  • Insider tip: Doesn't ride like a zero-camber ski.
Philpug: (from last year) I still cannot get over Völkl's 3D Ridge. Where I thought previous generations of Völkls felt heavy and damp (often to the point of dead), these new sticks ski fantastic. I am usually not a fan of reverse- or zero-camber skis, but it works here.
  • Who is it for? The value-conscious skier.
  • Who is it not for? Those who like pop out of a ski.
  • Insider tip: One of the few skis in this range with zero camber.

Women
19 Flair SC TC.png
Völkl Flair SC Carbon
Dimensions: 122-72-105
Radius: 14m@165cm
Sizes: 150, 155, 160, 165
Size tested: 165
Design: Carryover

SkiNurse: Great frontside carver. In the beginning, I had a problem with the chatter. @Drahtguy Kevin and @FairToMiddlin encouraged me to make this ski my bitch and to drive it. So, I did. Wow. What a difference! It was responsive, quick, and FUN!
  • Who is it for? The skier who is not afraid to drive a ski.
  • Who is it not for? The timid.

Tricia: (from last year) Völkl’s Flair line, which was introduced last year, is back with the SC E as the leader in its class with a beautiful shape and UVO technology; this ski turned on a dime, held an edge, and made every bump in the run feel smooth. I handed this back to the rep reluctantly, but with a giant grin on my face.
  • Who is it for? Advanced skiers, here is your precision groomer ski.
  • Who is it not for? The meek.
  • Insider tip: This is last season's SC UVO with a binding change; the vMotion3 is GripWalk-compatible.

1819_Flair81carbon.png
Völkl Flair 81
Dimensions: 128-81-109
Radius: 14.7m@163cm
Sizes: 148, 156, 163, 171
Size tested: 163

Tricia: (from last year) Völkl’s new Flair line (Fair Lightweight Agile Intelligent Reliable) is exactly what they say it is. The Flair 81 is a super fun and easy ski for groomers with enough kick in the butt to put a grin on the face of any advanced woman skier. Really nice, responsive, and powerful -- and friendly when you want to get a little lazy.
  • Who is it for? Advanced women looking for a good frontside ski.
  • Who is it not for? Beginners.
  • Insider tip: Don’t be afraid to drive it.
SkiNurse: Great front size carver. In the beginning, I had a problem with the chatter. @Drahtguy Kevin & @FairToMiddlin encouraged me to make this ski my bitch and to drive it. So, I did. Wow. What a difference! It was responsive, quick and FUN!
  • Who is it for? The skier who is not afraid to drive a ski.
  • Who is it not for? Again, not a ski for the timid.

1819_Yumi.png
Völkl Yumi
Dimensions: 123-84-104
Radius: 17.6m@168cm
Sizes: 147, 154, 161, 168
Size tested: 168

Tricia: (from last year) This popular ski from Völkl has gone through some changes this year with a little bit different shape. I didn’t notice much difference in the overall performance or turn shape, but I felt that it was slightly damper and added a level of stability that may inspire a timid skier.
  • Who is it for? An intermediate skier looking for inspiration.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who prefers steeps and chutes.
  • Insider tip: If you’re a Yumi fan of years past who is looking to move up to a stronger version, this is your ski.

AmyPJ: So, I skied this ski three times, because the first day, I really loved it. It was easy to turn, absorbed lumpy bumpy snow and poorly formed bumps. It was really easy to ski on the man-made “powder” that I was skiing all day. But on the second and third days, it felt stiff and planky, which was surprising for a Yumi. Völkl added metal under the foot, which changed the character of the ski, I think. Visibility was also quite poor on Days 2 and 3, which meant I was skiing more defensively aka slowly. It’s possible I just wasn’t able to drive the ski in those conditions, which is a dealbreaker for me. I need a ski that gives me confidence in poor light and does not punish me for skiing more slowly. This ski wants to go fast. The other factor might be that I should have tried a longer length.
  • Who is it for? Someone who wants a ski that plows through anything, and also likes to ski fast.
  • Who is it not for? A lighter-weight, more cautious skier.

19 Secret TC.png
Völkl Secret
Dimensions: 130-92-113
Radius: 16m@163cm
Sizes: 149, 156, 163, 170

Tricia: (163) It's no secret that Völkl took the lead for women’s freeride skis back in 2006 when the Aura stole the hearts of women everywhere. But after more than 10 years and five different constructions, the Aura is no longer around. The all-new Secret, with a 92mm waist, piqued my interest for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is that its shape is closer to my favorite version of the Aura, which was 94 mm wide. While the Secret is not a replacement for the Aura, it has a real chance of stealing the hearts of the women who started loving Völkl when they were introduced to the first Aura.

The day I had a chance to try the Secret was prime for asking a lot from a ski, with springlike conditions that varied from scraped-off snow to slush piles. The Secret was incredibly good at holding an edge and sliced through the slush effortlessly. The thing that stood out for me was the energy that I got out of it while powering through the spring crud. This Secret could be your weapon of choice as an all-mountain ski.
  • Who is it for? A woman looking for a daily driver with energy and finesse.
  • Who is it not for? A woman looking for a damp cruiser.
  • Insider tip: The cat's out of the bag with this Secret.

SkiNurse: (156) Originally coming off the lift, felt kinda dead under my feet. And, like the 90 Eights that I tested a two seasons ago, I was surprised how easily it initiated the first turn. While coming down Ptarmigan at Copper, which was hard packed, it liked to make turns at a rate of speed and held a solid edge.
  • Who is it for? The skier that wants to trust a ski in any condition.
  • Who is it not for? The timid.

AmyPJ: (156) I really liked this ski. It is typical Völkl with metal to smooth it out. It is easy to ski, smooth, and very stable. I would liked to have gotten it into some powder as I think it would have been a blast there.
  • Who is it for? An upper intermediate to expert skier who wants to rip the whole mountain in variable conditions.
  • Who is it not for? Someone who doesn’t want their ski to ski them: as with all Völkls I’ve been on, you need a decent skill set to make it work for you.

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
@FairToMiddlin

Re the Kanjo
"
FairToMiddlin (182): (from last year) The Kanjo has a stated sidecut of 21.6 m, and it feels every bit of it. At 84 mm underfoot, it is a bit of a head-scratcher. In my voice memo, I called it “the most leisurely all mountain ski." Most skis this width are tighter turning by design, but the Kanjo requires some additional steering to keep down, or some extra room to roam. It wants to motor. Motoring is pleasant on the Kanjo, however; it has a strong, damp construction and feels stable at speed and in choppy off-piste conditions, like Sail Away Glades.
  • Who is it for? Off-piste aficionados who prefer a narrower ski. Imagine a current Bonafide that is 84 mm underfoot."
I'm looking at this ski as a fun all mountain ski that is good in bumps. But, I can't let my 15 year old daughter get to far ahead of me on groomers, she flys. Kinda like speed myself, will it let me down?

Interesting you compare it to the Bonafide, which I've never skied but has a rep for being very stable. I t doesn't have to be GS ski stable, but I'd rather not go backwards from an RTM80 which it would replace. In the hand the RTM feels more damp, and the Kanjo feels a little twangy. When I demoed the first rockered generation Mantra it had that same twangy feeling, Any thoughts you have would be appreciated.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
The Volkl V-Werks Katana 112

143-112-132, r = 23.5@184,
177, 184, 191
c. 1900 gm/ski @ 184; c. 1980 gm. @ 191 (lighter than most 100mm skis)

volkl-v-werks-katana-skis-2019-177.jpg

Model Info

This is an amazing ski that ought to be reviewed. Above is this year's version, maybe unchanged except for graphics. However, I've seen in some places that the current version has no camber, is full rocker. That would be a change, since previously this ski always had slight camber (~2mm or so). Mine do.

I own both the 184 and the 191 versions. For most things, I prefer the 184s, given my skier profile. But the extra stability of the 191s is nice.
Last year's version and earlier can be found for close to half price brand new, reliably, so if you like this ski, cost is less of an obstacle than one might think.

What follows is my own experience with the V-Werks Katanas, going on four years. It fits with the Blistergear descriptions pretty well, except as a lighter weight (150/5'10", and older) skier, I find them better in powder, equal, at least, in crud (to Blister reviewers).

And these are wonderful in both powder and crud; best I've found - other than the K2 Pettitors, which are at least 500 gms heavier per ski, and hurt my knee since I had a collision with a racing boarder going on three years back. These Katana skis also carve groomers well, but remain playful - no mean feat. Still, they are mostly a soft snow ski, for me. Fast or slow, you choose. To me, fast in trees (partly because of their weight?), though some are faster. Very good in powder bumps. And the Katana is super in spring crud/slush.

The 191 is also easy, though it likes good technique a bit more. It has improved fore-aft stability (great in powder), but only equal crud performance, as near as I can tell: perhaps because of my lighter weight - heavier guys might find the 191 better in crud.

The feel of this ski is the best part. What a joy. The only other powder&crud skis I've been on that have such great characteristics of play and yet stability, for me, have been the afore-mentioned 120 K2 Pettitors, 189, and the 116 Moment Bibby Pros (for me, in 184; haven't tried the 191s yet).

For the past three years, in good powder months, I've often alternated the Bibbys and the Katanas, one day the Katanas, next day the Bibbys. I'm not sure it gets any better.

Last edited:

n443

Booting up
Skier
I know everyone is recommending the M5 Mantra. No less than 3 out of 4 shops around me told me late last year "you HAVE to try it". I did. I don't know why, but we did not get along. They felt like planks, dead, no edge grip, nothing to love. I wanted the runs to be done and just return them. Maybe I got them to long and could not bend them? Maybe the demo's tune was off, or edges dull? I don't know. Seldom did a ski disappoint me so much. I trust the experts more than myself, so I am sure it's a great ski. But I will skip.

Lauren

AKA elemmac
SkiTalk Tester
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I know everyone is recommending the M5 Mantra. No less than 3 out of 4 shops around me told me late last year "you HAVE to try it". I did. I don't know why, but we did not get along. They felt like planks, dead, no edge grip, nothing to love. I wanted the runs to be done and just return them. Maybe I got them to long and could not bend them? Maybe the demo's tune was off, or edges dull? I don't know. Seldom did a ski disappoint me so much. I trust the experts more than myself, so I am sure it's a great ski. But I will skip.

I wouldn't doubt this could be part of the problem. I've done this with more than one Volkl. I own skis between 162 and 177...with my most comfortable skis in the upper 160's. Volkl has every model in their freeride series at 163 or 170...so what' a girl to do? Go on the long side, of course. Generally, I would rather push my own boundaries to keep up with a ski, than have to hold back due to stability issues of the ski being too short. I've been able to demo most of those skis in a 170 and 163...every single time the 163 is the "better" size for me.

Long story short, on many Volkl skis, if you're "in between" sizes, I'd go down.

YMMV.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S. Today, Wednesday, skied the 184 Katanas at Loveland Basin, thinking it would be a 4"-6" powder day, as predicted - even if only a WROD day this early in the season. Instead, it was a 1 1/2" on top of 1/2" day before, most of it corduroy groomer. And the Katana was every bit as much fun as a cheater 180/18 GS ski, a slalom ski, or a full on 188/30 ski would be on those groomers.

Man, it's just such a fun ski at any speed, almost any style (including forward drive or upright).

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester

Not everybody...read my thoughts....

Philpug: First, the good: Völkl did everything right with the new M5 Mantra. It went back to its roots and narrowed the ski, to 96 mm underfoot. It made the flex more balanced, tightened the turn radius, and, most important, brought back camber. These are all positives, the ingredients for a great all-mountain ski. So the M5 should be a winner, right? I know I was excited to get on it ....

Not so fast. The jury is still out for me. I don't like saying it, but occasionally there are skis that I just cannot figure out, and the M5 is one of them. I really wanted to like this new Völkl, but for some reason we did not get along. Trust me, it was not for lack of trying. I skied it at Copper, Snowbasin, Mammoth, and Mt Rose. I skied it in the 177 and 184. I skied it with the bindings fore and aft. So, four mountains, four types of snow, two sizes, and three mount points. Nothing.

I have never been more frustrated with a ski that I know is supposed to be good. So, until the light bulb goes off for me, you will need to rely on other reviewers' opinions about the M5.

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
Im 6'2" 225lbs and generally ski the 188ish versions of most skis and I thought the 184 M5 was the right length for me. I generally like skis that have a softer tip and tail than the M5 but really enjoyed it in the pretty firm conditions at Loveland yesterday. Surprisingly good in the bumps as well.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Can someone help me decide between RTM and Deacon Pro? Primarily east coast ripper with 1-3 trips west each year. Like to carve big and small and go fast. May also buy a FIS Race Tiger and eventually an M4 or M5.

Martin H.

Booting up
Skier
Hi from Germany.

I am undecided which Deacon to get, and it would be great if you (testers, especially PhilPug) can give me your opinion.

Skill level:
Did GS racing from 5-14 and was on skis 4 out of 7 days a week... (pre carving era), now I am 36, hardly skied for the past 20 years (maybe 20 times...).
But thats about to change. I live near the Alpes and plan to go skiing more regularely.

Data:
180cm, 240lbs incl. gear, very strong legs

Preference:
I am neither looking for an all out Race Carver nor for a 100% Allmountain ski. I want something in between, i.e. a race carver with a bit more versatility and maybe a bit less tiring so I can ski all day without my legs exploding.
I prefer 80% piste hard snow with medium to long turns. 70% race speed, 30% a bit more relaxed

Product options:
Deacon 74 in 178cm (Pro or non-Pro)
Deacon 76 in 176cm or 181cm (Pro or non-Pro)

Since I cannot find a Deacon 76 to test anywhere around here but only a 74, I hope to get some insight from you guys. The data sheet pulls me toward 76.
Which length would you take based on my data/preference/skill level. I sense given my 230 lbs weight, I would benefit from Pro. Would you go Pro or non-Pro, i.e. how much comfort is lost going Pro? Would a Deacon 76 in 181cm Pro make my legs explode? Maybe 176 Pro would be a good compromise? Or better go 176 or 181 non-Pro?

Or should I consider another brand/ski model?
Your help is very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Martin

CalG

Out on the slopes
Pass Pulled
I put in my order for the RTM 86

I like the RTM 84 that much! ;-)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Can someone help me decide between RTM and Deacon Pro? Primarily east coast ripper with 1-3 trips west each year. Like to carve big and small and go fast. May also buy a FIS Race Tiger and eventually an M4 or M5.
If you plan on buying a M4 or M5...the Deacon Pro. If you plan on buying the FIS Race Tiger, the RTM.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Hi from Germany.

I am undecided which Deacon to get, and it would be great if you (testers, especially PhilPug) can give me your opinion.

Skill level:
Did GS racing from 5-14 and was on skis 4 out of 7 days a week... (pre carving era), now I am 36, hardly skied for the past 20 years (maybe 20 times...).
But thats about to change. I live near the Alpes and plan to go skiing more regularely.

Data:
180cm, 240lbs incl. gear, very strong legs

Preference:
I am neither looking for an all out Race Carver nor for a 100% Allmountain ski. I want something in between, i.e. a race carver with a bit more versatility and maybe a bit less tiring so I can ski all day without my legs exploding.
I prefer 80% piste hard snow with medium to long turns. 70% race speed, 30% a bit more relaxed

Product options:
Deacon 74 in 178cm (Pro or non-Pro)
Deacon 76 in 176cm or 181cm (Pro or non-Pro)

Since I cannot find a Deacon 76 to test anywhere around here but only a 74, I hope to get some insight from you guys. The data sheet pulls me toward 76.
Which length would you take based on my data/preference/skill level. I sense given my 230 lbs weight, I would benefit from Pro. Would you go Pro or non-Pro, i.e. how much comfort is lost going Pro? Would a Deacon 76 in 181cm Pro make my legs explode? Maybe 176 Pro would be a good compromise? Or better go 176 or 181 non-Pro?

Or should I consider another brand/ski model?
Your help is very much appreciated.

Cheers,
Martin
Martin,
Honestly, you could go with any of the Deacon choices you mentioned and none would be bad or incorrect and an easy case could be made for any of them.

We did get to ski on the consumer versions of the Deacon, the 74 and 76. These skis go back to the heritage of the older Racetigers, nice and strong hard-snow skis, much more so than the Codes. They felt a bit sluggish at lower speeds but solid once you got them going. It is nice to see a simple sandwich construction return from Völkl.
  • Insider tip: Go for the Pro if you want to get the nth degree out of the Deacon, with the Marker race plate and a base that is race finished. I did notice a little chatter from the UVO, but that could have been because they were early-production skis.
It comes down to what turn shape you want, shorter or longer? Again splitting hairs between these two. As far as your weight and the Pro, the reguler Deacon will hold you up fine, the Pro is about speed and dampening.... As far as another brand, right now you are in the right church and there is no wrong pew and long as you are there, you can hear the Deacon preach ;).

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
If you plan on buying a M4 or M5...the Deacon Pro. If you plan on buying the FIS Race Tiger, the RTM.

Which of the Deacon do you think best, 74 Pro or 76 Pro? How about RTM? Concerned all of the above may not be strong enough for me, being 200 pound aggressive/fast skier?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Which of the Deacon do you think best, 74 Pro or 76 Pro? How about RTM? Concerned all of the above may not be strong enough for me, being 200 pound aggressive/fast skier?
Which country did you represent in the Olympics again? ;) I know an ex Olympean who is skiing a Deacon 76 (non Pro) as his hard snow ski and he isn't over powering it. You can go with the Pro, but you don't need to unlss again, you want that Nth degree of power. As far as the 74 vs 76...shorter to meduim turns or medium to longer ones?

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
Which country did you represent in the Olympics again? ;) I know an ex Olympean who is skiing a Deacon 76 (non Pro) as his hard snow ski and he isn't over powering it. You can go with the Pro, but you don't need to unlss again, you want that Nth degree of power. As far as the 74 vs 76...shorter to meduim turns or medium to longer ones?

And what Marker bindings do you like? Obviously with the Pro you have to use Xcell...seems like they're only now offering the Xcell 18.0 which their site describes as for "light skiers and athletic women." I thought the 8-18 DIN on that model would be more than enough for me?

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
And what Marker bindings do you like? Obviously with the Pro you have to use Xcell...seems like they're only now offering the Xcell 18.0 which their site describes as for "light skiers and athletic women." I thought the 8-18 DIN on that model would be more than enough for me?
The 16 or the 18 will be more than enough. I am not sure why it says "lighter skiers and athletic women", that is very limiting.

Laner

Wax on, wax off.
Skier
:eek:... Can anyone share their opinions on how the Deacon compares to the outgoing Code? With some old stock kicking around at a reasonable discount, I am wondering if the Deacon’s is just a rebranded code with nominally different curves and a new ski smell.

Sponsor