• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

D Petronio

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
Wondering how the 170 volkl 90eight compares to the Nordica Enforcer 100 in the 169 length. Anyone have time on both skis to do a comparison? Really liked the Nordica Enforcer but the volkl ski looks pretty interesting, and from what I can tell lightweight.
Thanks

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Wondering how the 170 volkl 90eight compares to the Nordica Enforcer 100 in the 169 length. Anyone have time on both skis to do a comparison? Really liked the Nordica Enforcer but the volkl ski looks pretty interesting, and from what I can tell lightweight.
Thanks
I have demo'ed Enforcer 100 in both 177 and 169cm., the latter is somewhat of a plank. I own the 90eight 170cm., it skis nothing like E100 169cm. 90eight is lighter and more playful, yet it also likes to carve on edge. Of course the downside to being lighter is it gets kicked around some in heavy chop. That said, it's not a noodle.
The E100 177cm also felt playful but the weight which doesn't seem too apparent because it's well balanced wore me out. FWIW, I often think I should've went with the 177cm 90eight, didn't have the opportunity to demo prior to purchase so can't say how much more stable in chop I suspect the it would be had I went longer.

D Petronio

In the parking lot (formerly "At the base lodge")
Skier
I have demo'ed Enforcer 100 in both 177 and 169cm., the latter is somewhat of a plank. I own the 90eight 170cm., it skis nothing like E100 169cm. 90eight is lighter and more playful, yet it also likes to carve on edge. Of course the downside to being lighter is it gets kicked around some in heavy chop. That said, it's not a noodle.
The E100 177cm also felt playful but the weight which doesn't seem too apparent because it's well balanced wore me out. FWIW, I often think I should've went with the 177cm 90eight, didn't have the opportunity to demo prior to purchase so can't say how much more stable in chop I suspect the it would be had I went longer.

Thanks so much. Very helpful.

Martin H.

Booting up
Skier
Xcell system bindings are auto adjust, With the sliding AFD, you are fine.

I just got a hold of a Völkl/Marker Technical Service Rep. He confirmed what Phil said that the Xcell bindings have no options to adjust the front AFD plate. He added that the front only fits shoes with a sole height of 19 +-1mm. My Lange RX130 has 19,6mm so I am fine. Anything above 20mm may still fit into the binding but will damage the front over the medium term. Anything below 18mm will be too loose. I really wonder why this info cannot be found anywhere on the marker website nor anywhere else... It also took some convincing to get through to the Service rep because they officially only give this info to shops not to end consumers...

Last edited:

Martin H.

Booting up
Skier
I did. Skied both, about 2 fulls days each over the weekend. Not really optimal conditions for either but got a good feel for both.
I had my third full day on the Deacon Pro 76 in 181. Could not be happier. Latest snow conditions where pristine in Skiwelt Wilder Kaiser Austrian Alpes @~-5°C. Skied mostly red slopes, some black, from 9am perfectly groomed hard snow pistes, to 2pm 80% ice pistes, to 2pm heavy snow ungroomed slopes. The ski manages all well and really feels stable fast on ice (but for sure not with the factory tune... you gotta sharpen them up quite a bit for them to bite on ice). No issues doing very short turns but you kind of have to force it, but still if you have the technique it does it just fine. It feels home at medium to long turn carving though, although for my taste the radius could be even a bit larger, but for that you gotta go GS race ski then I guess...

Offtopic: So all good, except it was not a home run yet with my Lange RX130. I prefer them with the calf spoiler (=> increases forward lean from 12° to 16° and to my feeling and liking it increases the flex resistance due to the progressive nature of this shoes flex), I got huge calfs and due to the spoiler is therefore also pretty/too tight (skin burn on the inside back cuff, will get booster staps in the hardest WC version and hope this may help somehow), but foot volume maybe too big (my last measures 106mm, the RX130 in 29,5 also has 106mm, so theoretically it should be fine, but a low volume version would probably fit better out of the box I guess, however with the standard version I have more options to fit some heating options ect. because my toes got cold in these boots at -5°C; this (https://www.boot-doc.com/en/products/foam-liners/accessories/bd-neopren-cover-21729x38.html) looks promising, it fits over the liner, neoprene should help with cold insulation and it reduces overall foot volume a bit). And last but not least, I will see what a local bootfitter can do :)

Last edited:

MJA

Booting up
Skier
Reposting from the Hardgoods sub - my initial impressions after a handful of days on the Volkl 108 181cm...

Hey all... just wanted to give an update to those interested about my purchase - Volkl 100eight in 181 (I got the v2 version with the revised fiberglass layup - army green version). As a reminder, I'm 5'9" 150lbs, upper advanced but not quite expert, ski primarily Alta & Snowbird. I've skied them in the following conditions:
  • Edgeable groomers - these skis RIP groomers that aren't super hardpack / icy, although they require a good bit of speed to get going and require a very forward stance due to the very directional mount point, don't have super pop like more cambered skis but overall I enjoy them almost as much or potentially more than my Enforcer 93s on groomers, although E93s definitely carve better at slow speeds
  • Refrozen off-piste / moguls - not fun at all although the conditions were not good
  • Over a foot of blower wasatch powder - fantastic, not much tip dive, could execute more carvy turns in powder or smear turns / drifts
  • Soft chop & packed powder off-piste and in trees - fantastic, highly maneuverable, the low swing weight stands out, solid but not limitless stability (it isn't quite a charger but I think would provide adequate stability for most people)
  • Small jumps / cliffs - they're a nice platform for landing
Two cons I've found:
  • Due to the full rocker profile they are not good when needing to jam on the breaks and scrub speed while going very fast, especially if conditions are harder pack
  • I've had a couple instances where if I'm running too bases flat at speed the tails wander on me and cross (one instance resulted in a pretty big crash that for sure would have been a concussion if I wasn't wearing a helmet)
While they aren't by any means super difficult or demanding skis, they absolutely require that you be skilled enough to use the edges of the skis (due to the full rocker profile, they get very squirrely at speed if you're running bases flat, as mentioned in the con above) and drive through the tongues of your boots. Another related point - those that ski in a more neutral (as opposed to forward) stance probably will not enjoy them.

I mounted shifts on them but haven't toured them yet. I have not noticed any difference whatsoever between the Shifts and other alpine bindings I've used (Attacks, Jesters, Griffons), although the Shifts seem significantly easier to step into than Marker bindings in soft snow. I also had phantom done on them and like the Shifts I'm very impressed.

TLDR - I love the 100eights, huge upgrade in almost every way vs. my original Soul 7s, slightly less maneuverable and playful but better at everything else. The 181 is definitely the right size for me.

RikkiBobbi

Booting up
Skier
I had my third full day on the Deacon Pro 76 in 181. Could not be happier. Latest snow conditions where pristine in Skiwelt Wilder Kaiser Austrian Alpes @~-5°C. Skied mostly red slopes, some black, from 9am perfectly groomed hard snow pistes, to 2pm 80% ice pistes, to 2pm heavy snow ungroomed slopes. The ski manages all well and really feels stable fast on ice (but for sure not with the factory tune... you gotta sharpen them up quite a bit for them to bite on ice). No issues doing very short turns but you kind of have to force it, but still if you have the technique it does it just fine. It feels home at medium to long turn carving though, although for my taste the radius could be even a bit larger, but for that you gotta go GS race ski then I guess...

Offtopic: So all good, except it was not a home run yet with my Lange RX130. I prefer them with the calf spoiler (=> increases forward lean from 12° to 16° and to my feeling and liking it increases the flex resistance due to the progressive nature of this shoes flex), I got huge calfs and due to the spoiler is therefore also pretty/too tight (skin burn on the inside back cuff, will get booster staps in the hardest WC version and hope this may help somehow), but foot volume maybe too big (my last measures 106mm, the RX130 in 29,5 also has 106mm, so theoretically it should be fine, but a low volume version would probably fit better out of the box I guess, however with the standard version I have more options to fit some heating options ect. because my toes got cold in these boots at -5°C; this (https://www.boot-doc.com/en/products/foam-liners/accessories/bd-neopren-cover-21729x38.html) looks promising, it fits over the liner, neoprene should help with cold insulation and it reduces overall foot volume a bit). And last but not least, I will see what a local bootfitter can do :)

I've had some more days on my 74 Pro in 178...They're a good match up with my M5 Mantras....Deacon Pro in the morning while the groomers are still in good shape, switch to the Mantra in the afternoon when everything is chopped and luffed up. I love how the Deacon Pro can cruise but can take everything you give it as well...and like you mention having to work for shorter turns, I love that. Really makes me feel like I'm back in racing days. The tail of the ski does seem poppy...and when the ski releases it can throw me forward/airborne if I'm not paying attention and keeping form. Very fun ski and I'm very very happy I went with the Pro and not the regular.

Last edited:

ted

Getting off the lift
Skier
Ok so I ended up with a pair of Kanjos. They are softer than a Kendo, but I wouldn't call them soft. More like supple. The tips and tails have a little given and then stiffen up dramatically. Haven't skied many bumps yet but they pivot really easily and carve well with no hooky tails.
Stable enough. Happy so far. No tinny feel I was worried about.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Getting back on my M5 Mantra's this afternoon after a couple of weeks on the Laser SC felt like a being released from jail. Back to prison tomorrow as the shop owner gave me a pair of the Deacon 84’s in 177 to kick around on tomorrow.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Demoing this 18/19 season, turned out I loved the Mantra M5 - for me, best with Look Dual SPX 12 WTR shop demo/elevated bindings (delta height 0) rather than lower Marker Griffin Demos (delta height +4) - odd, since the ski must have been prototyped with +4 Markers: but I A-B-ed with both bindings.

I also loved the New Mantra V-Werks Mantra (released early Fall 2018). It feels just like a narrower, quicker (and livelier) V-Werks Katana, just terrific.

Will I really end up skiing two different Mantras at the same time, after sorta disliked earlier Mantras pretty consistently? Hard to justify, seems like. :huh: But I may.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Cross posting my thoughts on the Deacon 84 Demo

This Volkl lover had the chance to sample the Deacon 84 in a 177 length. Sweet looking hybrid supports a Titanal frame giving the solid feel that I love. Less clanky than my M5’s with a nice lowrider profile. Requires some input to put them on edge but they can carve a line. Blasted thru some wind loaded super steep powder moguls on Skyehawk Headwall. Drop cut slashed their way into heart on the way down. This ski could easily find a home in my quiver. Not of huge fan of the hollow sound this ski and some of other Volkl's make while skiing. Would be a great choice as a one quiver ski for the upper level crowd. Skis like a lighter friendlier version of the Mantra M5 with better handling. Another ski that Volkl will do well with.

neonorchid

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Demoing this 18/19 season, turned out I loved the Mantra M5 - for me, best with Look Dual SPX 12 WTR shop demo/elevated bindings (delta height 0) rather than lower Marker Griffin Demos (delta height +4) - odd, since the ski must have been prototyped with +4 Markers: but I A-B-ed with both bindings.

I also loved the New Mantra V-Werks Mantra (released early Fall 2018). It feels just like a narrower, quicker (and livelier) V-Werks Katana, just terrific.

Will I really end up skiing two different Mantras at the same time, after sorta disliked earlier Mantras pretty consistently? Hard to justify, seems like. :huh: But I may.
Can you tell me more about the V-Works Mantra, i.e., your weight and height, the size(s) you tried? Do they ski short or true to length? Do they have the typical stiff carbon feel? Any chance of a comparson to the light and playful soft snow ski but capable on edge, gets somewhat knocked around in heavy cut uo snow, Volkl 90eight I have would also help.
Asking because I've come across a few deals on V-Werks M and don't know much about the ski to seriously consider them when I already have the 90eight. I'm currently 140.5 LBS 5'6.5" on a 170cm 90eight, nice in bumps and trees, probably would prefer the 177cm everywhere else.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Can you tell me more about the V-Works Mantra, i.e., your weight and height, the size(s) you tried? Do they ski short or true to length? Do they have the typical stiff carbon feel? Any chance of a comparson to the light and playful soft snow ski but capable on edge, gets somewhat knocked around in heavy cut uo snow, Volkl 90eight I have would also help.
Asking because I've come across a few deals on V-Werks M and don't know much about the ski to seriously consider them when I already have the 90eight. I'm currently 140.5 LBS 5'6.5" on a 170cm 90eight, nice in bumps and trees, probably would prefer the 177cm everywhere else.

Hi. Whew, here goes.

I'm 5'10"/145-150lbs. Older. But I'm on the Front Range, Colo, so still like to charge some (GS and between GS and SL dynamics).
(Back East, not sure.)

Maybe like you, I'd prefer a 170 (up to maybe 174?) ski in bumps and non-deep snow trees, but longer everywhere else.
I typically ski 175-178 skis for all mountain here in the Rockies (old snow groomers and some bumps), and 182 to 190 skis for powder/crud (not in tight trees much anymore).

I skied the V-Werks Mantra at SIA in almost ideal conditions, 2-4" fresh (somewhat mildly windblown in places) on a bluebird day. The snow was wet, and thus felt deeper; but still a relatively small amount - in some places maybe up to 5" at most, including drifts.

I only skied the W-Werks Mantra in 178 (and in a comparable length M5 Mantra before that a week or so earlier), regretfully. It was my standout of the two day demo, and I just kept skiing it, twice as many runs as the other skis I tried. I skied it in soft snow bumps and groomers, shallow powder, chop and crud - and also pure groomers. I liked that particular length so much that day I forgot to think of the other lengths. Practically speaking, I might want it for deeper powder/crud also, not just a bit more than the mild amount that day, and thus might have preferred for practical reasons, that ski in 186. But the 178 fit me so well, fun.

Would love to try both in more varied or deeper conditions, to answer my own questions regarding length.

The 178 skis both short (for ease when turning fast and in bumps) and longer (when wanting stability carving), but overall, either true to length or slightly short, in terms of gauging length to buy, depending on how used to carving on edge one is. The ski can either slarve, run flat or carve really well - your choice. (I'm a ride the edge and carve kind of guy, but love the particular slarve/play of the V-Werks skis.)

On "typical stiff carbon feel" - To me, "carbon feel" varies from brand to brand, even ski to ski: I didn't like early DPS carbon feel; but do like recent versions, more dialed in - but still, not favorites as yet, of the ones I've tried. Also, I don't like, relatively, the carbon feel of the Kore 105, but like better the carbon feel of the Kore 93. A bit better is the carbon feel of the Faction Primes, 2.0 and 3.0 - enough that I prefer them to the Heads. And then there's the V-Werks Katana 112. My favorite ski. "Carbon feel" very different, more dialed in still. The V-Werks Mantras are as good - maybe better, since their 99 width may be better for more people, and, as little as I've experienced them so far, may be just as good for me.

Compared to the 90eight: I've only skied the 100eight, and your description of the 90eight fits the 100eight also, to me (See below.); so I have to extrapolate, forgive me: V-Werks is damper; a crud killer, no weakness here; not as mind-boggling quick, but still quick and easy, incredibly forgiving (more so than the 100eight). The V-Werks Mantra's light weight, more so than with the Katana's, makes it even better in trees, just a tad slower, maybe, than the 90eight, I'm guessing, but about the same in quickness though different as the 100eight in a good way, to me: no chance at being nervous, or of getting tossed in crud, or one overpowering the things. (You see, I very much preferred the Katana to the 100eight, though I know many love the 100eight also, and it's more economical.) I tend to prefer powder/crud skis, rather than powder skis that get tossed in crud, if there's a choice.

Last, with the V-Werks Katanas 184, there is a fore-aft sensitivity: moving the ski forward or back of suggested line doesn't get you much, past moving it back about 1/2 to 1 cm, maybe a bit less than 1 cm. Too far back and the tails drop too much; but at the line, for me, the skis do a hesitation when they hit drifts or sudden crust resistance in deep powder, especially heavy and wet. (Once the snow is mostly chop and crud, the skis don't have a problem.) The longer 191 skis have no such problems at all, for me. They become true resort powder skis.

Relating this to the V-Werks Mantras, I'm not sure what the 178 ski I tried will do in deep powder or such transitions in wind drift, etc. as described. At a resort, this will effect unbroken but more difficult powder conditions only, probably, not crud. If you plan on using the Mantra only as one might any other good ~100 width ski, and only ski it up to, say, 6" of good powder, then things might be fine. But not sure once things get deeper. Then the longer 186 might be a good idea, even for lighter skiers like myself, or maybe you - not at all sure.

Note: I have not skied the 90eight, but I have skied the 100eight, and briefly reviewed it in a Loveland Basin Demo Day thread from a year or two ago.
For me, it was a super light and super quick ski: yet surprisingly stable for such sensitive fast edge to edge carve, great on edge on groomers, even though I kept watching for it to be over-sensitive or twitchy. Nope. But to me, it was a bit too quick, almost but not quite nervous. (I tend to prefer damp, super-stable skis that are easy crud busters also.) I never found a speed limit or overpowered it, though. Still, to me, it was too quick, too close to nervous - and, for me, too tossed in problem crud. And at the time I already owned the 184 Katana V-Werks 112s, and had those as my reference ski of that sort. I'd have had to own the 100eights to really find out first hand what that ski could do more thoroughly, as it was unlike other skis I've tried that are that sensitive and fast.
And, again, I preferred the Katana V-Werks by a lot.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
P.S. You might check out what Blistergear said about the V-Werks Katana. Disregarding what may be, for me, too much Blistergear emphasis on the charger ability that ski has, it's mostly almost an exact description of what the v-werks Mantra might be for lighter skiers, with more emphasis on how fun and easy it is; yet what a standout it is, probably for a nice range of skier abilities. It kills for experts. For a friend of mine, who is a younger and top sg-type skier, it was a standout also, just as I hope it will be for my intermediate son.
For lighter weight guys, the 178 V-Werks may work, though better, for about the same range as Katana 112 does for heavier; or at least what the Blizzard Bonafide 180 does out here: If I get it, I'm planning on using the 178 V-W Mantra version in up to 6" - and more in crud, a real complement to the 184 V-Werks Katana, for me. (And at this point I'm guessing there may be too much overlap between the 186 Mantra and the 184 Katana, but don't know.) I'd considered getting the newest Bonafide, but no longer.

Caveat: not sure how these skis will work back East, on those hardpan ice conditions. They carve up groomers well, and on our brand of ice, but still, not sure.

Guy in Shorts

Tree Psycho
Skier
Caveat: not sure how these skis will work back East, on those hardpan ice conditions. They carve up groomers well, and on our brand of ice, but still, not sure.
Loved my first Katana’s to death by skiing them around 70 days on Eastern snow until the were structurally failing. Volkl replaced the skis once but said they wouldn’t replace them a second time. I have been much choosier when the 184 V-works goes out since. Was watching a guy earlier in the year spend most days on a pair and when i asked he said he boards have held up just fine. Hoping to run into him again to see to see how he is making out. Dying to get out on a V-Works Mantra but they are hard to find.

Reactions: BC.

BC.

NEPA ShopRat/Skier
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
P.S. You might check out what Blistergear said about the V-Werks Katana. Disregarding what may be, for me, too much Blistergear emphasis on the charger ability that ski has, it's mostly almost an exact description of what the v-werks Mantra might be for lighter skiers, with more emphasis on how fun and easy it is; yet what a standout it is, probably for a nice range of skier abilities. It kills for experts. For a friend of mine, who is a younger and top sg-type skier, it was a standout also, just as I hope it will be for my intermediate son.
For lighter weight guys, the 178 V-Werks may work, though better, for about the same range as Katana 112 does for heavier; or at least what the Blizzard Bonafide 180 does out here: If I get it, I'm planning on using the 178 V-W Mantra version in up to 6" - and more in crud, a real complement to the 184 V-Werks Katana, for me. (And at this point I'm guessing there may be too much overlap between the 186 Mantra and the 184 Katana, but don't know.) I'd considered getting the newest Bonafide, but no longer.

I have been on 191 Katanas all year....mostly EC, but a few days at GT earlier this month. They really can do anything I need them to do in any condition...including Sunday mornings at Hunter...lol.

I enjoy them so much, I sold my 2019 189 Wren 108’s this week cuz I needed cash more than I needed a second pair of skis.

I have skied a lot of Volkls...and I can say this Katana can do it all...sharpened to a 1/3..I’m as comfortable on this thing as I would a Kendo.....and in fresh...as playful as my Shiro/Gotama....

At GT, it was a blaster......it was an incredible trip.

I plan on skiing these till they disintegrate..

5F42BCC1-4B0D-40B2-819B-C5C5FD2333DD.jpeg

Last edited:

Choucas

Getting off the lift
Skier
First day on Mantra M5. I went with a 1 degree on the base and a 3 degree on the sides. These have been my go to angles for quite some time, and they work well for me. Senior skier, 6' 180lbs. Tyrolia Attack 13 bindings. Skis -- 177 cm. (70+ days a year, skied all my life, jr. race, patrol, coached when kids were jrs.) Found the M5's to be very comfortable with a big sweet spot. Snow was perfect Vermont groomer with 4" - 5" of skied up snow on the non-groomed areas. Pretty much hero snow. I'd say that they deliver everything as promised. Easy to turn, any radius. Great edge hold. Stable at all speeds. Nothing twitchy or spooky. More fun to ski than my Stockli Laser AX's in a 175. Very different skis obviously, but a much more relaxed, friendlier kind of skiing with the Volkls. I owned a pair of Mantras about 10 years ago. The red ones with the Samurai sword graphic. I liked them for their power and stability but they were pretty much a stiff, wide gs ski, so quite a bit of work. I never skied any of the in between versions. This one seems to have a similar level of power (not quite as beefy), and much better behaved when it was time to turn. They don't have that "Hey, I've got 2 full sheets of metal down here" feel at the top of the turn, but they don't get wimpy when you stand on them. And, if you do drive them hard, they have some pop in them. Couldn't be happier with the choice. I have no frame of reference against similar skis from other makers. I bet they are nice too.

ski otter 2

Making fresh tracks
Skier
(Maybe I should get some of those older metal Katanas.) Nice review of the M5! Pretty much what I experienced too.

Am I really gonna get two Mantra versions in one year??!! Just maybe.... (Very likely.)

Reactions: BC.

Sponsor

Staff online