• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Colorado 2019-2020 Colorado Weather and Stoke (and beer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
It seems to me that I often hear the term "rope drop" when chatting with you and SkiNurse about your ski adventures.

I worked on getting the video loaded on the site.
What happened to all the other people chopping up all that nice powder?..... What'd'ya mean there weren't other people? Impossible!

SkiNurse

Spontaneous Christy
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
What happened to all the other people chopping up all that nice powder?..... What'd'ya mean there weren't other people? Impossible!
Welcome to the non-Epic Abasin. And...this was on a holiday. :cool:

Stephen

AKA Steven
SkiTalk Tester
SkiTalk Supporter
you are too kind! I had a blast with you two today and looking forward to more turns tomorrow. Conditions are stellar right now. we'll take some pics tomorrow. I am testing the Augment 77's and they are some fast ski's.

Augment 77’s!:yahoo:

bamaman

Getting off the lift
Skier
My mom passed away peacefully this past Saturday at the age of 97. She was a healthy woman until the dementia took over. She played golf 2-3 times a week till she was 90. I owe my mom so much. Especially getting me into computer school allowing me to afford to take 3-4 trips a year to CO. Coming out again this weekend for a week. Will make some turns for you mom. RIP

VickieH

Contrarian
Skier
Your mom was an inspiration ... active and healthy into her advanced years. I hope this trip brings you a sense of peace and joy for the journey you shared.

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
And they've advertising pass specials to ski there since January. First too many, now too few.

So I actually chatted with Al (Abasin CEO) a few weeks ago and asked about all the promotions. He mentioned that it was a little slow in the early going and he was concerned, but how the season is shaping up is pretty much exactly what they expected which I think is really good. Im enjoying the difference myself.

SSSdave

life is short precious ...don't waste it
Skier
Post #1399. Very nice relaxed dynamic deep bouncing powder turns. Has me dreaming past memories. Kevin or Ski Nurse? Despite all the major snow you Colorado folks have just received, unless I missed something, this is the first still or video on the board that shows some fine S-turning. The deep light quality of the powder is evident in the rising fluff exploding up during compression of each turn, the deep narrow trenches left , and the fact one can ski such a lower gradient slope so. Here in California such snow is rare but it does occur above 8k when snow levels are down below 2k.

Tricia

The Velvet Hammer
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Post #1399. Very nice relaxed dynamic deep bouncing powder turns. Has me dreaming past memories. Kevin or Ski Nurse? Despite all the major snow you Colorado folks have just received, unless I missed something, this is the first still or video on the board that shows some fine S-turning. The deep light quality of the powder is evident in the rising fluff exploding up during compression of each turn, the deep narrow trenches left , and the fact one can ski such a lower gradient slope so. Here in California such snow is rare but it does occur above 8k when snow levels are down below 2k.
That's SkiNurse in the video. Kevin shot the video.
We're lucky to have them on our team. :D

Noodler

Sir Turn-a-lot
Skier

Actually that snow quality is much more what we'll call "creamy and supportive" around here. That was nowhere near the blower pow we can get.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
So I actually chatted with Al (Abasin CEO) a few weeks ago and asked about all the promotions. He mentioned that it was a little slow in the early going and he was concerned, but how the season is shaping up is pretty much exactly what they expected which I think is really good. Im enjoying the difference myself.

A Basin did not get that much snow early on this season and terrain was pretty slow to open (compared to other years). If he wants Epic money then you have to deal with the Epic crowds and what that entails. No free lunch I guess. I am sure business at A Basin will improve next season when people actually know that the experience has been improved. But then if more people go...

palikona

Getting off the lift
Skier
Silverton question: I’m contemplating going there in late March for an unguided day with a friend who’s from sea level. Therefore, we won’t be hiking too much. Is it worth it to go to just ski basically off the lift and ski Cabin and Colorado or hike like 5-10 mins and get to lines like: Waterfall and Tiger Main?

I’d like to go back for a real guided day but that’s not in the cards this year. However, I’d really like to get a preview of what the mountain is like.

PinnacleJim

Out on the slopes
Skier
Last Friday at ABasin was BUSY. Early Riser lot was full by about 9. Lines to buy tickets about 15 minutes. Busiest February weekday I've seen there, even in the Epic years.

UGASkiDawg

AKA David
SkiTalk Tester
Last Friday at ABasin was BUSY. Early Riser lot was full by about 9. Lines to buy tickets about 15 minutes. Busiest February weekday I've seen there, even in the Epic years.
Ha... last year on epic I went on a pre holiday Friday and all the lots were full by 9:15 and they were turning people away to lots at Keystone. Parking is the limiter at Abasin. All the lots can be full and the mountain still skis well except for bmx and lenawee and who rides bmx past Pali opening anyway

Jtlange

Getting off the lift
Skier
A Basin did not get that much snow early on this season and terrain was pretty slow to open (compared to other years). If he wants Epic money then you have to deal with the Epic crowds and what that entails. No free lunch I guess. I am sure business at A Basin will improve next season when people actually know that the experience has been improved. But then if more people go...

I don't think they want Epic money because of the trade-offs. The impression I got was there was a learning curve, and once that was figured out they are extremely happy with how this year is going.

Ken_R

Living the Dream
Skier
I don't think they want Epic money because of the trade-offs. The impression I got was there was a learning curve, and once that was figured out they are extremely happy with how this year is going.

Last season was so crazy there that they are still hungover from it. :roflmao: It is really cool to see A-Basin getting more mellow.

tball

Unzipped
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I wonder if there are a lot of Ikon pass holders saving their A-basin days for spring. If so, we might see much more Epic like crowds in April and May. Fortunately, the snowpack is looking excellent, so hopefully, we'll have a long spring and summer of skiing to spread them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online