• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tominator

Totally in the present
Skier
I mean it will cut back on the crazy lines that form at Loon, but the mountain is only so big. I can’t imagine the crowds on the mountain if they basically double the uphill capacity of the Kanc area by putting in an 8 seater :eek:

I normally stick pretty much to the North and South peaks when I ski Loon. But the Kanc has some pretty good terrain which I'll probably now avoid.

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
I spent this past weekend hiking in the mountains near Sunday River. At the higher altitudes a decent coating of ice (aka, "base building material") is forming. My thermometer recorded a temperature of 35 at the top (4100 feet).

Winter is edging closer. :D

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Surfsnowgirl,

Did you pick up any AT gear for this coming season. I think you were looking for a backpack last spring?

I enjoyed my new AT gear, but used it more inbounds than out. I really liked my lightweight boots which was a pleasant surprise

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Surfsnowgirl,

Did you pick up any AT gear for this coming season. I think you were looking for a backpack last spring?

I enjoyed my new AT gear, but used it more inbounds than out. I really liked my lightweight boots which was a pleasant surprise

I haven't yet. I did find a pack but the sale fell through. I'm looking at either a pair of Volkl 90Eights or Nordica Santa Ana 100s for an AT setup. I'm conflicted on which route to go because I don't have the money for 2 pairs of boots so it seems logical to get a hybrid boot like the techica Cochise. Getting new boots this weekend so will try a pair of these on. If I go the snow shoe/back back route then I don't need AT bindings or skins. I'm a bit daunted about getting started. I think I'd ideally love it if someone were selling a full setup with skis/bindings and skins. I've seen a couple for sale but way too tall so hasn't worked out so far. I'd like something around 170-175cm. I only plan to do this inbounds.

I'm stoked you are so happy with your setup.

Last edited:

sparty

Out on the slopes
Skier
I haven't yet. I did find a pack but the sale fell through. I'm lookin at either a pair of Volkl 90Eights or Nordica Santa Ana 100s for an AT setup. I'm conflicted on which route to go because I don't have the money for 2 pairs of boots so it seems logical to get a hybrid boot like the techica Cochise. Getting new boots this weekend so will try a pair of these on. If I go the snow shoe/back route then I don't need AT bindings or skins. I'm a bit daunted about getting started. I think I'd ideally love it if someone were selling a full setup with skis/bindings and skins. I've seen a couple for sale but way too tall so hasn't worked out so far. I'd like something around 170-175cm. I only plan to do this inbounds.

I'm stoked you are so happy with your setup.

If you're thinking about uphill at all and buying new boots, you should absolutely get something with pin compatibility. Unless you need plug-boot levels of downhill performance, there's no real downside to the current crop of downhill-oriented AT boots compared to a "normal" alpine boot. There are disadvantages for the uphill, but they're not a big deal in your use case.

FWIW, my wife was happy overall with her Cochises, although she did have a walk-mode switch fail and a boot crack (both addressed under warranty, so she's now got a brand-new pair of boots). She was also much happier after we upgraded the Marker Tour frame bindings on her all-mountain/AT skis to a pair of Shifts.

I'd expect that you should see full AT setups showing up more often now on Craigslist, Facebook marketplace, forums, etc., and probably also a few at swaps. And that reminds me, I need to figure out what I'm ready to list.

ScottB

Making fresh tracks
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
I agree with Sparty, the two key things to get in your new boots are the "pin" inserts in the toes of the boot and an Alpine sole (and a walk mode lever which makes 3 things I guess). Here is a Chochise boot that has these features. I don't know the Technica boot line, so not sure of the specific model.

upload_2019-10-9_11-55-37.png

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Technica Cochise do have the holes for pins and a walk mode and interchangeable soles. I have been skiing and occasionally skinning a pair for the last 4 or 5 seasons and they are very comfy and great for inbounds. Of course you have to go with a boot that fits your feet. Mine seem to be pretty average in size and shape.

If mostly skinning inbounds, or even back/side country in the northeast, I would look into a sub 100mm waisted ski.

Last edited:

KevinF

Gathermeister-New England
Team Gathermeister
If you're thinking about uphill at all and buying new boots, you should absolutely get something with pin compatibility.

I agree with Sparty, the two key things to get in your new boots are the "pin" inserts in the toes of the boot and ...

Note that PJ at Race Stock sports can put the "pin" inserts onto any pair of boots; see: http://www.racestocksports.com/services/.

Your boots would need an existing "walk" mode for it to be in any way useful, but it's a (possible) option.

Michael V

Getting off the lift
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Hey Central/South Jersey. The Central Jersey Ski & Snowboard Club is showing this years Warren Miller film, Timeless in Red Bank, NJ
December 4th @ 7:00pm

jack97

Out on the slopes
Skier
We have incoming later this week. The blast of Arctic cold hitting the Rockies is coming our way. Some crystalline precip at the upper sections of VT/NH. For this season, we're going to experience spells of Arctic cold and hopefully short duration of warming.

Should sharpen my skis soon.

Phelmut

German for Northeasterner
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
The Central Jersey Ski Club membership is now open for the 2019-20 season. Anyone interested in joining please let me know. We meet weekly in Marlboro, NJ at the Fireside Grill & Bar. We have a lodge in VT approx midway between Sugarbush, and Killington. It is a great way to bring your skiing costs down. The full (Lodge) membership gives you 25 nights for $475 ($19 a night) and then only $10 a night after that... Otherwise it is $75 membership fee, and $25 a night to use the house.... All in all a good deal.

@Philpug @Tricia if this is not appropriate to post, please delete..

Mike, you forgot to mention that ski club members get to take advantage of the Ski Council weekends. If memory serves correctly last year Killington had 1 per month for at least 3 months. Buying lift tix on just 2 days during one weekend puts you ahead of the game > $30. There are ski council days at SB and other area in the northeast also. The best part is you don't even have to attend meetings or live in NJ. We have members that live in Canada and Florida. I'm a member of the club though so you'll have to put up with my douchiness:)

dbostedo

Asst. Gathermeister
Contributor
SkiTalk Supporter
I’m guessing they don’t put that on the website?

They just have this sign in the front yard :

519vtu2Za6L._SX425_.jpg

TS
surfsnowgirl

surfsnowgirl

Instructor
Skier
Cold front coming in next week so hoping Killington opens by next weekend. Magic and Bromley have weather permitting announced their opening days. Broms will be Saturday, November 23rd, weekend before thanksgiving. Magic will be the weekend of Thanksgiving on November 30th. SKis are tuned and ready to roll. I will pick up my new AT set up by mid November so am looking forward to trying it out when the snow starts flying.

I have an extra nice spring in my step today.

:daffy:

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
Speaking of ski clubs, it looks like Vail had Mount Snow remove 22 days off the CT ski council schedule. A few blank weekends right now,, maybe Bromley, Magic or Pico will fill the holes?

Crank

Making fresh tracks
Skier
Yeah they took Stowe off the NY Metro Ski Council Days last year.

I have the Ikon pass this season and plan to use it often!

Slide of Hans

Getting on the Red Chair
Skier
I ended up going to the Hartford travel show since Mount Snow door prizes were advertised, but it turns out they weren't giving any out. This show has pretty much gone downhill since they moved it out of the Aqua Turf, only 8 ski vendors this year.

Mount Southington stepped it up and handed out at least a hundred tickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sponsor

Staff online