• For more information on how to avoid pop-up ads and still support SkiTalk click HERE.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
The beefing-up of the Salomon QSTs... would that be comparable to the Pinnacle upgrade K2 did this year?
I think moreso. The Pinnacle change was more subtle than these felt. The truth will be when we get them on the snow.

Reactions: BMC

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
That new Mantra, referenced earlier in this thread, has my attention as OSQ travel-ski.

I live in the land of groomers, but was out on my MX98 174 yesterday where we had 3-4" of fresh overnight, which soon got nicely cut & clumped up. I quite like the MX98 and found it surprisingly easy for me to ski at 5'9" 170lbs. If anything, I wish that MX98 had just a bit more tip rise, and then the requisite +2cm length to "counter" that mildly longer & higher tip. I had the exact same feelings about my much-beloved FX94 176 2nd-gen ski.

I think the new Mantra ( width down to 96 ) may give me the blend of groomer performance, dampness, and just enough tip rise for what I want out of a travel ski. My Guys-trip to St. Anton starts the day after ISPO, and hopefully Sport-Jennwein there may have some in their rental fleet right away. Also the latest SR95 will be on my demo list.

Tom K.

Skier Ordinaire
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
If anything, I wish that MX98 had just a bit more tip rise, and then the requisite +2cm length to "counter" that mildly longer & higher tip.

IMO, you've just described V.2 of the OG Nordica Enforcer. I still miss that ski, though the Fischer Motive 95 comes close (a bit too much early rise IMO, but only a bit).

Wrong comment for a "new gear" thread, I know.

ARL67

Invisible Airwaves Crackle With Life
Skier
SkiTalk Supporter
Those Deacons sound interesting too. I like that they are on the skinny side and radius is mid-hi teens.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Right now I am having the Deacon Blues. ;)

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
What I had say at this point, WTR is all but dead, Amer brands (Atomic & Salomon) are going with MNC, Multi Norm Compatible and we will see some GripWalk labled bindings from them. Look is also evolving away from Dual bindings for WTR functionality and are going GripWalk. Lange boots will be either DIN or GW, If I was a shop, I would stock sme Lange/Rossignol GW soles for the customers that have WTR soles. VHS has killed Beta again.

E221b

New Yorker Dreaming of the Mountains
Skier
What I had say at this point, WTR is all but dead, Amer brands (Atomic & Salomon) are going with MNC, Multi Norm Compatible and we will see some GripWalk labled bindings from them. Look is also evolving away from Dual bindings for WTR functionality and are going GripWalk. Lange boots will be either DIN or GW, If I was a shop, I would stock sme Lange/Rossignol GW soles for the customers that have WTR soles. VHS has killed Beta again.

If WTR is Beta in this example, why is it better than Grip Walk and why isn’t it winning the competition? Curious.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
If WTR is Beta in this example, why is it better than Grip Walk and why isn’t it winning the competition? Curious.
More using the GW. It is easier to make the adjument from DIN to GW than DIN to WTR, to the point with the right shaped AFD, there is no adjustment needed.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
We jsut got out of meetings with Salomon and I will add what they allow me to add....

Of course the Shift...

Phil, I'm curious if you've mounted any Shift bindings yet or learned if a new jig is necessary... I'm interested to know if they are using the same driver hole pattern of years past or if it is a new hole pattern.

Philpug

Notorious P.U.G.
Admin
SkiTalk Tester
Phil, I'm curious if you've mounted any Shift bindings yet or learned if a new jig is necessary... I'm interested to know if they are using the same driver hole pattern of years past or if it is a new hole pattern.
Haven't mounted any and they will be a different hole pattern. Salo-tomic designed the binding from the ground up and there was no need to start with the restraint of an existing hole pattern.

HeluvaSkier

Reality Check Writer
Pass Pulled
Haven't mounted any and they will be a different hole pattern. Salo-tomic designed the binding from the ground up and there was no need to start with the restraint of an existing hole pattern.

Cool thanks. That's what I figured. I'm planning an eventual AT setup (seems to be what all the cool kids are doing) and will likely build a setup around this binding. I think Amer is onto something with this one...

Erik Timmerman

So much better than a pro
Instructor
Fischer_RangerFree_Teaser_Versatility.jpg

This looks pretty good.

Sponsor

Staff online